Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

Interesting article

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...ils-2017-03-22
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
Bounder45

Interesting is one way of putting it. I see a whole lot of racially-charged discussion where none is warranted. If people, of any ethnicity or background, want to hike or camp no one's stopping them.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Interesting is one way of putting it. I see a whole lot of racially-charged discussion where none is warranted. If people, of any ethnicity or background, want to hike or camp no one's stopping them.
Yeah, I can see your point. But the racial topic in the article seemed to just be saying that more people of color are hiking/camping than ever before. What in your view was racially-charged? It just seemed like stats when I read it, but I wasn't looking for author bias (if there is any). For me, I thought the stats the quoted on millennials in general were pretty eye opening. It kind of flies in the face of the "glued to their phone screens and video games" stereotypes. The percentages of campers and hikers in that age group were much higher than I assumed they were.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 08-11-2017 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Terasec

very limited perspective
i am from NYC,
of those that i know that camp/hike vary in race
when we camped at lake welch/7 lakes drive, about 40 minutes from NYC in the 70's the campers there were mixed, lots of hispanics and blacks
percentage of those that camp will depend on type of people you surround yourself with,
hang out in the hood, fewer outdoor kids,
involved in scouts, day camps, activities to keep kids off the streets will encounter more that camp/hike
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
very limited perspective
i am from NYC,
of those that i know that camp/hike vary in race
when we camped at lake welch/7 lakes drive, about 40 minutes from NYC in the 70's the campers there were mixed, lots of hispanics and blacks
percentage of those that camp will depend on type of people you surround yourself with,
hang out in the hood, fewer outdoor kids,
involved in scouts, day camps, activities to keep kids off the streets will encounter more that camp/hike
Ah, ok. That makes sense. I assumed it also had to do with how far you had to travel to hike/camp. I probably wouldn't have grown up camping and hiking if I didn't live in upstate NY.