Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #21
beartooth91
beartooth91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7575 View Post
Looks like a great trip. ( I was not as fortunate ). I do like your rod holder. Who makes it and where did you get it? Thanks for your help
The rod holder is Ram Rod fly rod holder with a Ram Tough Claw small clamp base. You can obviously buy it from ramrod. I purchased mine with the canoe from Hornbeck.
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #22
beartooth91
beartooth91

As for the "off-topic" stuff; I've always wanted to go after Great Lakes steelhead as I don't know how to get through the October 16th to next opener period. Something I've wanted to do but have yet to do it.
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #23
Lucky13

NOW is the time to try it!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #24
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth91 View Post
As for the "off-topic" stuff; I've always wanted to go after Great Lakes steelhead as I don't know how to get through the October 16th to next opener period. Something I've wanted to do but have yet to do it.
My suggestion is the Niagara River. Take a drift charter out of Lewiston. You'll need gear. Multiple Gore Tex layers, face protection, even goggles at times. Cold, cold cold.. but so worth it. Most Captains have rods and tackle so don't worry about that. Three-way rigs with pencil weights bounced off the rocks.

My avatar is from Lake Ontario in Winter. Granted it's a Lake Trout but I have plenty of Chromie pics as well.

Enjoy!
Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #25
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth91 View Post
Your best bet is steelhead alley and Erie tribs. Erie tribs have statistically higher populations of fish than Ontario tribs and the catch rates are much higher. A little further away but worth it if your new, better chance at getting into something. Hell, I’m not new and still don’t do great on Ontario tribs. I have a tough time hooking steelhead on the fly rod

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:29 PM   #26
mike7575

Thanks for the info beartooth, I appreciate it.
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #27
Lucky13

The last two weeks of October and the first week or two of November generally finds good numbers of steelhead in the Salmon River, and the water temperatures are usually warm enough that the fish are still very active biters and also jumpers. It was cold last week, and the majority of the run was staying down in Douglaston Salmon Run, the pay to play Kingdom in the lower river, but as of last Thursday, the fish were moving upstream. Friends who fished in Pulaski over the weekend report good action, and the DSR reports indicate their action slowed down until yesterday, which could be a new push in from the Lake. The forecast is for some warmer weather the next few days and that could light things up a bit more. Crowds from the Salmon run were diminishing last week, and the steelheaders don't show usually until November. I'll be knee deep somewhere up there tomorrow until Thursday, and then 4 days next week. The Niagara in winter produces well, but the fish are logy, and while Erie has three states dumping smolts, it also gets crowded beyond belief. And after mid-November, when the water temps drop into the 40's and below, the fish are just not as spunky as the "Indian Summer" run . That's why I say GO NOW!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #28
gmorin71

I went up last week, didn't see much action except for a few zombie kings in the upper part of the river. I did catch a monster creek chub however.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #29
ADKdude

Beartooth, there are some trout streams in the Catskills such as the Esopus near Phoenicia that I believe have special regulations that allow you to fish for trout until November 30. Brown and rainbows.
ADKdude is offline   Reply With Quote