Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
Fishadk

Suggestions for first time fishing trip to adk

Hello, thank you all for reading, I am new to forum. I plan on taking the canoe to paddle in/camp/fish somewhere in ADKS this weekend. This will be my first fishing trip up there. Was thinking little tupper lake but haven't found very much info on it. Sounds like lots of largemouth, and some Brookies there but wondered if it had pike or smallmouth. Also open to any suggestions. Would like to be somewhere with no powerboats. I am open to any suggestions on other lakes. Thanks again!
Fishadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Lucky13

Little Tupper was a heritage strain brook trout lake until some Dbag put bass in there. No pike or smallmouth unless some other dbags have stocked them. I think self-engineering lake fish populations should be punishable by death by keel hauling.

Invest a little time into reading back posts, I think some of the people on here are getting tired of making it too easy for people who might trash places because they are too lazy to do their own research, and then maybe too lazy to keep a clean camp. Or go to Eighth lake, lots of bass and some days no motors except the ones on 28.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

Lows Lake aka Bog River Flow has no motors (well, too few to mention) and is teeming with large mouth bass, or so I was told be fishermen there a few weeks ago.

There are some ponds in the St Regis Canoe Area that have been "sanitized" i.e. the DEC actually killed everything in the pond and restocked with trout. Look it up on the DEC website.
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
Tug Hill

Many lakes and ponds that were originally inhabited with brook and lake trout have been reclaimed, not “Sanitized”.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
Many lakes and ponds that were originally inhabited with brook and lake trout have been reclaimed, not “Sanitized”.
This has been necessary because unknowing or careless anglers have introduced non-native fish as bait, and the minnows out compete the brook trout, or because unofficial know-it-alls have decided the lake would be better if it had a totally non-native species like Largemouth bass, which were in almost no ADK waters 50 years ago. Lakes like Whitney and Bog River Flow are too big and have hydrologic characteristics that prevent reclamation, except in the case of Bog River Flow removal of the "man-made dam in a wilderness" would likely eliminate the bass, LOL. I will again stress that "sanitization" is in response to bad actions of bad actors, and is returning a water body to the state it was left in by the glaciers, and is not an action designed to create artificial trout habitat for anglers. Hence "Reclamation," not "sanitization."
Old 08-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
Lucky13

Quote:
This has been necessary because unknowing or careless anglers have introduced non-native fish as bait, and the minnows out compete the brook trout, or because unofficial know-it-alls have decided the lake would be better if it had a totally non-native species like Largemouth bass, which were in almost no ADK waters 50 years ago. Lakes like Whitney and Bog River Flow are too big and have hydrologic characteristics that prevent reclamation, except in the case of Bog River Flow removal of the "man-made dam in a wilderness" would likely eliminate the bass, LOL. I will again stress that "sanitization" is in response to bad actions of bad actors, and is returning a water body to the state it was left in by the glaciers, and is not an action designed to create artificial trout habitat for anglers. Hence "Reclamation," not "sanitization."
Old 08-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
Tug Hill

The DEC has been doing Pond and lake reclamation in the adk’s to restock with trout and landlocked Atlantic Salmon for decades. Lake Colby near Saranac Lake was done, almost 50 years ago. Also, I think introducing non native fish into historical trout waters, is not all careless anglers fault. birds like blue herons and others may have contributed to it as well ?

But even after the DEC has poisoned the waters with rotenone, not all target species were killed off. Some ponds and lakes it is impossible to kill off 100% of the Fish.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Lucky13

Quote:
Also, I think introducing non native fish into historical trout waters, is not all careless anglers fault. birds like blue herons and others may have contributed to it as well ?
If birds were responsible for the addition of Dace or bullheads to a pond's ecosystem, why didn't it occur years before anglers got to the place? Certainly, golden shiners, and rosy reds don't come with the birds. It is usually sunfish and perch, with their sticky eggs, that ducks et al move. I know of one pair of ponds, ~1/2 mile apart, brook trout monoculture in one, bullheads a plenty in the other, the State has switched to putting in a few browns as the brookies were not making it with all the bullheads, and the shallower habitat. Big Trout Pond has native lakers and brookies, but the shallows also have pumpkinseeds, ditto Shallow Lake (the one right by Mud Lake!).
Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #9
Tug Hill

You need to re read my post, I didn’t say birds were the only culprit.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
Lucky13

Quote:
You need to re read my post, I didn’t say birds were the only culprit.
Ands I didn't say they were the only culprit, but if they introduced them commonly, I fail to understand how there are so many monocultures. And I have never seen anything that implicates birds for movement of Pike and bass, this is fisherpersons who think they know better than Ma Nature.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #11
cutbait

In response to the original post:
You can research most ADK ponds, lakes, etc. on the NYSDEC site. Also, you can purchase a general guide to various ADK waters at Walmart - Sportsman's Guide I think it's called, for various regions of NYS.
Will take a little work, i.e. more than dashing off a last minute email to a forum prior to a trip - LOL; however, the information is there and helpful.
Regarding the off the tracks discussion of introduced species; well, that's a topic all it's own, for another day. I'm not going there now.
To the OP, wishing you the best in your fishing; wherever you're traveling.
cutbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #12
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
In response to the original post:
You can research most ADK ponds, lakes, etc. on the NYSDEC site. Also, you can purchase a general guide to various ADK waters at Walmart - Sportsman's Guide I think it's called, for various regions of NYS.
Will take a little work, i.e. more than dashing off a last minute email to a forum prior to a trip - LOL; however, the information is there and helpful.
Regarding the off the tracks discussion of introduced species; well, that's a topic all it's own, for another day. I'm not going there now.
To the OP, wishing you the best in your fishing; wherever you're traveling.
In the original post, he asked about Little Tupper, and I responded in the next post. As to "off track", someone else started the " Sanitized" (to my mind biased) line that led to the introduced fish and reclamation discussion. Nowhere did he ask about all the ponds, which is what you are responding to. Before you drop the big bux on the Sportsman's guides, know that about 80% of the info is incorrect.

I guess "random scoots" are only tolerated in the woods.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
cutbait

Lucky 13 - you're into confrontation, that's o.k. I'll leave that to you. The OP stated "I am open to any suggestions on other lakes"

I provided reference points and information, NYS DEC maps as well as a readily available, relatively cheap, not big bux (about $20) book containing maps of various lakes that are a useful starting point. 80% of incorrect info, LOL; more scientific analysis and facts that we're supposed to rely on from you.

You should probably start another thread for your "random scoots" , whatever that means, so you can enlighten us more.

Have fun fishing.
cutbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
Lucky13

"Regarding the off the tracks discussion of introduced species; well, that's a topic all it's own, for another day. I'm not going there now."

I believe you are also a little confrontational, sir! Please be careful around your fire!
Old 08-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
St.Regis

You might want to try Tupper/Simon/Raquette complex, which is close by LTL. It's motorboat friendly, but lots of times the place is very quiet.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #16
ewthielking

Not knowing where you live, here are a few alternatives:

1. Spend a day in Thirteenth Lake (North Lake, NY). There are campsites around the lake. Parking is 100 ft from the 'boat launch'.

2. Walk into Bennett Lake (Hope, NY off of RT30, just north of Northville). A 1.5 mile hike with your canoe should be rewarded with nice views, and a few brookies.

3. Spend a few days in 'the Cedar River Flow', just outside of Indian Lake, NY.

4. Take a multiday trip into the five ponds wilderness. (a bit more advanced, but worth it).
ewthielking is offline   Reply With Quote