Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
Mizzouvet

Winter descent from Iroquois

I apologize if this has been previously discussed, but I have been unable to locate the information that I am hoping to see.

I would like to do a winter summit of Wright, Algonquin, and Iroquois this winter. My plan is to leave from the Loj pre dawn, and be on wright by sunrise. I would do the next two summits after, and then would like to descend down to colden lake and hike out through avalanche pass.

I would be doing this with my wife - both of us are experienced hikers, with some winter summits under our belt already. We will carry snowshoes, spikes, crampons, and a mountaineering axe. (in addition to the regular gear). My question is to the difficulty of the descent down from Iroquois to Colden Lake. I have done it in the summer, so I know it is steep. Is it just one giant ice fall down the descent that will required ropes? Or is it just a steeper trail that requires a little more caution?

Any input would be appreciated!
Mizzouvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
Neil
Kayak-46

You will not need axes or ropes. And, depending on the conditions it is highly possible that only snowshoes will be required.

The trail between Lake Colden and the Alg. - Iro col is not at all heavily traveled in winter. I have descended it several times in deep snow and it is a real blast to do so. (I would never plan on ascending that trail in winter unless I needed to lose 5 pounds in one day.)

Knowing the conditions before you go is the trick. Besides following the weather forecasts, you might want to follow the trip and trail conditions reports that are posted on our sister forum. ADKHighpeaks.com

Last edited by Neil; 09-24-2018 at 01:59 PM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
Mizzouvet

Thank you for your quick reply and good advice!
Mizzouvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
richard1726

The trail down to Lake Colden is very steep. Plan on extra time for this, unless there is lots of snow.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Hear the Footsteps

Though reclimbing Algonquin may seem a chore it is the shortest route. Unless your really wanting to cross Avalanche Lake reclimbing Algonquin is also faster. That's my experience.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #6
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
Though reclimbing Algonquin may seem a chore it is the shortest route. Unless your really wanting to cross Avalanche Lake reclimbing Algonquin is also faster. That's my experience.

Don
This is quite true. I only go down that trail if I'm going to do some other peak(s) such as Colden.