Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
NHtroutster

"The One That Got Away", Or

..."old lures brought back to life"--either title is fitting for this thread, but I've got an interesting tale to tell.

Now truth be told, I'm much more successful spin casting than using the fly rod, which I always feel places me on the JV team for this forum. But I've found a niche spin casting fast moving waters where fly fishermen rarely roam (picture the iconic ending to "A River Runs Through It"). I've gone for plenty of swims by this strategy, but it seems to work for me.

As noted in previous threads, the fishing was meager over the summer for said reasons, but its been smoking hot for me and my 15-year old fishing partner son recently. We were coming to the tail end of what we call "the run"--which is gauntlet of fast water and tricky rocks in our favorite stream. We are Panther Martin devotees, which were all but failing us. So my son decides to take an old lure we've never used from the "rusty box" (everyone has one of those, right?), the type of which I think I'll keep to myself! Suffice it to say that after he plucked an 18" brown on that lure, I used another version of it and plucked two more browns at or about the same size. I was stunned, but it gets better.

We had so much success with that type of lure that we decided to meander beyond "the run" into a spot where we/others exclusively fly fish. I cast to a very productive hole and hook a fish that's of the 3-5 year variety (ya know, every 3-5 years one hooks onto a monster like that). My drag is screaming--almost as loudly as my son and I were--and I could tell this was MUCH bigger than the three 18-20 inchers we'd just landed. I unfortunately only had the thing on for about a minute before he/she decided enough was enough and spit the hook. I cast back to that hole a few more times, but I'm guessing that fish was old/smart enough to not make the same mistake twice.

As much I would have liked to have caught that fish, I suppose the moral to the story is to not forget about those older lures (i.e. methods of our forefathers).

NHtroutster
NHtroutster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Lucky13

Great Story, what fall fishing is about!

I have been carrying phoebes for over 40 years and have never had a bite on one. I hiked with my 10 year old back in to a plane stocked pond north of Big Moose quite a few years back. I set my son up with a worm rod, and he had caught and kept three of the five fish limit before I even got a rod set up. So I switched him out to a phoebe, so I would get to fish for a while. He completed his limit, and then unsuccessfully insisted that it was time to hike out, on the next two casts!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
NHtroutster

Well I suppose I gotta let the cat out of the bag Lucky because you're dead on... Its a phoebe I'm speaking about. I first told the story to an old timer fishing buddy of mine, who claims the agitated action of phoebes mimic an injured bait fish. The other funny thing is I felt a lot of what I can only assume were unsuccessful strikes at the lure. Given the rough water I was fishing, that assuredly exacerbates the action. Me thinks I'll put a few newer versions of that lure into the tackle box.
NHtroutster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
Lucky13

Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while LOL!!!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
Green Drake

I have caught some big trout and salmon on pheobes over the the years in both still and moving water. My best was a 9lb splake that I caught "accidentally". I had cast over deep water and was fumbling around doing other things as it sank when the rod and I almost parted ways. I have used that techique with success a few times since.

When the old lures are still around, there is usually a reason.
Green Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

It the same reason I like fishing traditional wet flies, they've been catching fish for hundreds of years. I fish soft hackles a lot, quick and easy to tie, and effective. Some of these new patterns which are touted as the greatest thing since Jesus told (was it Simon) to throw the net on the other side of the boat, take a half hour or more to tie a single fly, and you need to take a trip to the fly shop to buy a particular brand of material , (now who was this guy sponsored by anyway). Of course I also like to fish these old patterns with a bamboo rod.

John M.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

NH Troutster,

Sounds like you been hanging with Glen!

You might be the Troutstar but he's the KING. Of course that's his line. (pun intented)
Old 10-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
Lucky13

Actually, the guy who gave me my first phoebe, and swore by them, was named Glen! I know they catch fish, just never for me.

I found out about the old wet flies a few falls back, action on caddis pupa died, and I tied on a royal coachman wet fly just for giggles, and caught the two nicest fish of my trip in the next 20 minutes!
Old 10-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
NH Troutster,

Sounds like you been hanging with Glen!

You might be the Troutstar but he's the KING. Of course that's his line. (pun intented)

Don't you forget it Schultzzy! How is everyone? I haven't checked in that much this season.

Apologies to the OP for being OT.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Missed you Glen