Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 01:15 AM   #1
Deb dePeyster
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 122
Gutting a deer next to a tree stand

I was taking a walk on Monday on property adjacent to mine that's unposted - it's an outlying parcel belonging to a gravel mine. I noticed a new tree stand along the wildlife trail I was walking on and about 30 feet away from it there was a gut pile. I thought this was curious. Wouldn't this be to the detriment of shooting any more deer from that spot? There's a road only 100 yards away.
Deb dePeyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
Mallard1100
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 49
I have had deer walk right through old gut piles. Aside from that I try not to field dress too close to a stand I may hunt soon. Aside from that the biggest worry would be attracting bears or coyotes which will keep the deer away. Otherwise the pile will be gone in a very short time from foxes and coyotes buzzards etc having a feast.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Tug Hill
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 191
Where I hunt , with all of the Ravens, Eagles, coyotes, Fisher, etc.. a gut pile doesn’t last 2 days. Once the gut pile is gone, these critters don’t hang around, they are off to the next gut pile or whatever.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
aft paddle
Member
 
aft paddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern Greene County
Posts: 307
"Aside from that the biggest worry would be attracting bears"

Or, depending your target animal, possibly the biggest advantage.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
mgc
Member
 
mgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb dePeyster View Post
I was taking a walk on Monday on property adjacent to mine that's unposted - it's an outlying parcel belonging to a gravel mine. I noticed a new tree stand along the wildlife trail I was walking on and about 30 feet away from it there was a gut pile. I thought this was curious. Wouldn't this be to the detriment of shooting any more deer from that spot? There's a road only 100 yards away.
Let's unpack this a bit. There is more here than a gut pile.
First, do you have permission to wander on the property adjacent to yours? Even if it is not posted you must have permission from the land owner to wander around there. Likewise the person hunting there also needs specific permission to hunt and set up a tree stand. If property is not posted that does not mean that you or he can use it..that is enforced NYS law.
Next, it is hunting season. What would possess you to be walking on property that you do not own following a wildlife trail? If you are not wearing orange you are taking a risk...certainly any hunter is required to identify his target and beyond but the expectation would be that there are not folks out walking around in the woods. How should they know if you are part of the "beyond"? Hunting incidents occur when hunters do stupid things but in such a case you seem to be tempting fate. Why?
What is the point of mentioning the nearby road? The stand could legally be sitting literally off the edge of the maintained road and be legal. The hunter may not shoot over the road and must be 500 feet (with a firearm, 150 with bow or 250 with crossbow) from any occupied dwellings but at 100 yards from the road they are well within the legal expectations.
If you are wandering there because you wanted to see if someone has been hunting there and if you deliberately interfere with their hunt by approaching their stand while they are hunting, you can (and should) be issued a ticket for interfering with a legal (presumably) hunt. The DEC is very active in enforcing hunters rights, as active as they are at protecting the wildlife. If a hunter observes you in the woods interfering with their hunt they can (and should) contact an ECO and have them follow up with you to assess the reasons for your interference. The ECO's encourage hunters faced with this problem to take pictures and avoid confrontation.
WRT the gut pile, most folks would probably not leave one right near their stand but deer are not particularity bothered by them.. the pile will literally be a grease spot on the ground in 2 or 3 days.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
Let's unpack this a bit. There is more here than a gut pile.
First, do you have permission to wander on the property adjacent to yours? Even if it is not posted you must have permission from the land owner to wander around there. Likewise the person hunting there also needs specific permission to hunt and set up a tree stand. If property is not posted that does not mean that you or he can use it..that is enforced NYS law.
Next, it is hunting season. What would possess you to be walking on property that you do not own following a wildlife trail? If you are not wearing orange you are taking a risk...certainly any hunter is required to identify his target and beyond but the expectation would be that there are not folks out walking around in the woods. How should they know if you are part of the "beyond"? Hunting incidents occur when hunters do stupid things but in such a case you seem to be tempting fate. Why?
What is the point of mentioning the nearby road? The stand could legally be sitting literally off the edge of the maintained road and be legal. The hunter may not shoot over the road and must be 500 feet (with a firearm, 150 with bow or 250 with crossbow) from any occupied dwellings but at 100 yards from the road they are well within the legal expectations.
If you are wandering there because you wanted to see if someone has been hunting there and if you deliberately interfere with their hunt by approaching their stand while they are hunting, you can (and should) be issued a ticket for interfering with a legal (presumably) hunt. The DEC is very active in enforcing hunters rights, as active as they are at protecting the wildlife. If a hunter observes you in the woods interfering with their hunt they can (and should) contact an ECO and have them follow up with you to assess the reasons for your interference. The ECO's encourage hunters faced with this problem to take pictures and avoid confrontation.
WRT the gut pile, most folks would probably not leave one right near their stand but deer are not particularity bothered by them.. the pile will literally be a grease spot on the ground in 2 or 3 days.
No reason to be accusatory. Do you have permission to give someone the 3rd degree on this forum. Are you the site owner, a moderator? Chill, it is an honest question. Your final paragraph was sufficient. The rest of your rhetoric might be helpful, informational, if delivered in a kinder tone. Peace!
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
mgc
Member
 
mgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
No reason to be accusatory. Do you have permission to give someone the 3rd degree on this forum. Are you the site owner, a moderator? Chill, it is an honest question. Your final paragraph was sufficient. The rest of your rhetoric might be helpful, informational, if delivered in a kinder tone. Peace!
Yes peace. Likely you do not deal with these situations as often as I do and did not grasp the other details surrounding the basic question. OK, most people and certainly non-hunters are not aware of the specific laws and regulations related to land use and hunting. From that perspective, the gut pile question is far broader than the last paragraph. Tone is very hard to modulate...but please take the time to again read the OP's post and my replies...this was a teachable moment. I provided facts to inform and asked the OP questions to flesh out the other details that she provided...nothing more..
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
mmaute
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
Yes peace. Likely you do not deal with these situations as often as I do and did not grasp the other details surrounding the basic question. OK, most people and certainly non-hunters are not aware of the specific laws and regulations related to land use and hunting. From that perspective, the gut pile question is far broader than the last paragraph. Tone is very hard to modulate...but please take the time to again read the OP's post and my replies...this was a teachable moment. I provided facts to inform and asked the OP questions to flesh out the other details that she provided...nothing more..
I saw no hidden accusations or ill will in reading the OPs question - seemed a legitimate question from a non-hunter. You admitted your response was colored from previous negative experiences with others, which could possibly lead to overanalyzing. Id present the notion that sometimes an innocent question is just an innocent question. Perhaps a teachable moment for all?
mmaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
mgc
Member
 
mgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaute View Post
I saw no hidden accusations or ill will in reading the OPs question - seemed a legitimate question from a non-hunter. You admitted your response was colored from previous negative experiences with others, which could possibly lead to overanalyzing. Id present the notion that sometimes an innocent question is just an innocent question. Perhaps a teachable moment for all?
With all due respect I disagree with your conclusion. Because of the obvious and very specific references that were unrelated to the question, I reviewed all of the OP's previous posts before I responded. There is another story line at play here that the OP should explain.
Had the question truly been about the gut pile it could have been as simple as "are deer bothered by gut piles"...
Walking on a deer trail during hunting season to someone's tree stand on property that you do not own but being aware of the absence of signs, noticing the proximity to roads and embellishing the question with that information....there is nothing "innocent" about the way the question was asked. The OP should may chose to and should respond and clarify this.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.