Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

2019 ice fishing season

Well this is by far the earliest i have ever hit the ice. Found some fishable ice between paul smiths and saranac lake but it was totally sketchy. Layered ice with slush in between. 2 inches top. one inch gap of wet stuff then 3 inches or so ice under that. Any standing snow was super sloppy with just the base layer of ice under it. Bite was sooooo slow. Managed a nice 18 inches maybe 4 lb largemouth jigging for panfish. For sure it was a pike the way it ran several times. Was nice to get out but i had enough but puckering for one day. With tomorrow calling for rain and warm you wont catch me out again until following week once it locks back up. If you find yourself out please dont go alone and make sure you have safety gear. We stayed in shallow water just in case. Next weekend should be more promising for anyone wanting to travel up.

Tight lines
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:19 AM   #2
Adironzach

I tiny tiny "lake" by my house in Saratoga has iced up, ~3-4" of ice, and i was able to get out to jig a little for pannies. A few dink crappie and small perch, but still was nice getting back out there. Hoping the cold weather this week will lock up some of the larger bodies by the end of the weekend. My frying pan is eager for some Walters!
Adironzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
adkman12986

Raquette Pond in Tupper has 5 to 7"
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
Chris I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adironzach View Post
I tiny tiny "lake" by my house in Saratoga has iced up, ~3-4" of ice, and i was able to get out to jig a little for pannies. A few dink crappie and small perch, but still was nice getting back out there. Hoping the cold weather this week will lock up some of the larger bodies by the end of the weekend. My frying pan is eager for some Walters!
Hows the ice for skating? Haven't stopped to check but looks like it could be pitted up from the snow. Should tighten up nice tonight
Old 12-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
bluequill

Nice to know that at least a few slobs are getting hammered.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/115415....JqmaXrBvpUCtW8
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

lol nice deer but no relevance to ice fishing haha. I scanned it over 3 times like i was missing something looking for a post on some SLOB fish that never were in there hahahahahah
Old 12-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
bluequill

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. I meant to start a new thread but appears I had a huge brain fart. Getting old and laughing at myself a few times a week.

Anyway, there were summonses issued for undersize/ over limit stripers and there could have been some ice on the marsh.........
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

hahahaha love it. We all have those. I just chalk it up to being blonde but with excelled balding over the last few years i will need a new excuse....brain fart it is i like it.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
ADKpikebuster

Ryan you hear of anyone up your way selling minnows yet?

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #10
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

yes blue line has them, noticed shiners and fatheads
Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #11
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

id still call ahead after this weekend. I can see a lot of people coming from far and them selling out sooner than later.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
ADKpikebuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ball View Post
id still call ahead after this weekend. I can see a lot of people coming from far and them selling out sooner than later.
Those guys at blue line are way over priced, I’d much rather do business with that old timer with bait shop down by the river I hope he’s still doing business

Last edited by ADKpikebuster; 12-09-2018 at 12:57 AM..
Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
adkman12986

Red Top Inn and Mt. Market Redemption in Tupper has bait
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:39 AM   #14
Adironzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris I View Post
Hows the ice for skating? Haven't stopped to check but looks like it could be pitted up from the snow. Should tighten up nice tonight
I saw a bunch of kids skating there over the past few days, but if you want some really good skating ice, head over to Lake Lonely. I was out today and its as smooth as glass right now. About 3" of clear ice everywhere I checked.
Adironzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

i know last year river road bait in bloomingdale did not have bait. Rumors he lost his permit to do so. too much bait with incorrect receipts sometimes lake there of receipts in general. Idk if he just called it quits or the rumors are true. He didnt have bait at all really last season.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #16
Green Drake

Quote:
i know last year river road bait in bloomingdale did not have bait. Rumors he lost his permit to do so. too much bait with incorrect receipts sometimes lake there of receipts in general. Idk if he just called it quits or the rumors are true. He didnt have bait at all really last season.
That would be the first I've heard anything like that. Frank was having some health issues last year. I think the bait shop has always been more of a hobby to him. I know if I wasn't feeling well, the last thing I would want to deal with is a bunch of icefisherman knocking on my door at 6 am.
Green Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
Amart

Thanks for this great thread on the ice conditions itís always very appreciated! I know that people are fishing both Caroga Lakes and Lincoln Pond. Piseco iced over but I would say itís not safe yet. Has anyone been out on or know what the east end of paradox is looking like ice wise?
Amart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #18
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amart View Post
Thanks for this great thread on the ice conditions itís always very appreciated! I know that people are fishing both Caroga Lakes and Lincoln Pond. Piseco iced over but I would say itís not safe yet. Has anyone been out on or know what the east end of paradox is looking like ice wise?
The DEC information page for Paradox says landlocked salmon were stocked, but the regulations for ice fishing don't list them, just trout and lake trout. Was the experimental stocking unsuccessful, or do you have to release any salmon you catch through the ice?
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #19
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Went into blueline to get some shiners and they were just about out. Had maybe 3 doz left give or take and nothing else. If they havent sold them all since this morning they will soon. Call ahead if you come this way or bring bait from home.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #20
ADKpikebuster

Quote:
Went into blueline to get some shiners and they were just about out. Had maybe 3 doz left give or take and nothing else. If they havent sold them all since this morning they will soon. Call ahead if you come this way or bring bait from home.
Did they take a kidney or part of your liver for those minnows?