Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Other Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
forest dweller
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 580
La Verendrye Reserve and (vs?) Algonquin Provincial Park

I'm sitting here stewing in aggravation and frustration that my plans to go back out to Banff / Jasper for a backpacking trip this coming week didn't work out, again due to nobody to go with. The few people I would normally ask couldn't go.

I'm reluctantly / grudgingly thinking about alternate ideas for the week. My wife and I could throw the canoe on the car and drive as far into Canada as we wanted to do some canoe camping. It just feels like distant second plans and I don't know if mentally I'd appreciate it as much as I would if I had planned to do that in the first place.

Anyhow, any of you been to Alqonquin Provincial Park and / or La Verendrye Reserve? How do they differ? Which one is more beautiful? Which one is "wilder"?

On a map it looks like there are a few roads that penetrate the interior of La Verendrye - are they good enough to drive a Honda Civic on them?
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 961
Never been to either, but from the little I do know, La Ver is far, far larger, more remote and less popular. Algonquin is like a summer camp with lakes packed to capacity throughout the summer.

If I had a week to myself to do a canoe trip, I'd stay in the Adirondacks and go Oswegatchie/Lows traverse or 9 and 7 carries in St Regis CA. Maybe LTL to Lila.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
bluequill
Member
 
bluequill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saranac Lake
Posts: 759
I used to go every year to LV for pike and walleye. Motors are allowed. I never saw paddlers while there and while fishing different lakes we never saw other boats at all. I stayed at Deer Horn Lodge on Cabonga Reservoir and the ten mile dirt/ gravel road to the lodge was ok.

Very remote.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict
 
vtflyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West coast of New England
Posts: 2,397
I've done extensive canoe trips in both. Algonquin has a rep for being used. You can avoid a lot of that by entering the park from one of the lesser used entrances. Try the northern one and you'll have a lot more remote time. A big plus is the undisturbed wildlife.

La Verendrye is a multiple use area. You'll find logging roads in places and motorboats in others. That said, once you get a couple of days out you are unlikely to see anyone. You'll see little in the way of wildlife because anything bigger than a rabbit gets hunted.
__________________
Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:58 AM   #5
forest dweller
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
La Verendrye is a multiple use area. You'll find logging roads in places and motorboats in others. That said, once you get a couple of days out you are unlikely to see anyone. You'll see little in the way of wildlife because anything bigger than a rabbit gets hunted.
So it's basically northern Maine.

Motor boats, logging and wildlife blasting YAY!

I won't drive 6 hours beyond the Adirondacks for that. I was hoping for less human activity not more.

And if I won't see moose or hear wolves (are they hunted too?) then what's the point?
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:59 AM   #6
jblaser
Member
 
jblaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brewster, NY
Posts: 112
La Verendrye Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
I'm sitting here stewing in aggravation and frustration that my plans to go back out to Banff / Jasper for a backpacking trip this coming week didn't work out, again due to nobody to go with. The few people I would normally ask couldn't go.

I'm reluctantly / grudgingly thinking about alternate ideas for the week. My wife and I could throw the canoe on the car and drive as far into Canada as we wanted to do some canoe camping. It just feels like distant second plans and I don't know if mentally I'd appreciate it as much as I would if I had planned to do that in the first place.

Anyhow, any of you been to Alqonquin Provincial Park and / or La Verendrye Reserve? How do they differ? Which one is more beautiful? Which one is "wilder"?

On a map it looks like there are a few roads that penetrate the interior of La Verendrye - are they good enough to drive a Honda Civic on them?
In 1988, as part of a summer long canoeing sojourn that started in La Verendrye Reserve, went through Maine (Allagash River), Nova Scotia (Kejimkujik National Park) and Newfoundland (Gros Morne). I had to forego Labrador because of bad weather. I spent 8 days on a loop through La Verendrye Reserve and had a great time with a nice mix of river/lakes and reasonable carries. The fishing was also good. I hardly saw anyone the whole time. I have no idea what it is like there now, but if it was anything like it was back then, it could be a good choice. There were fees, but my recollection was that they were reasonable.
__________________
"Such sights as this are reserved for those who will suffer to behold them."
- Eric Sevareid
Canoeing with the Cree
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:24 AM   #7
Blackflie
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 50
Yep there are fees at LV I paddled there about 14 years ago on a short trip did not see that many people I seem to recall

http://www.canot-camping.ca/2-days.html
__________________
Look up, and swear by the green of the spring that you’ll never forget.
Blackflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
WBB
Member
 
WBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: WNY/Tupper Lake
Posts: 262
Never paddled LV, but have tripped extensively throughout Algonquin. The rep it has for being crowded is true for access points along Highway 60, such as Canoe and Smoke Lake, If you avoid these you can have a wilderness experience.

Once you have tired of Algonquin, Kilarney PP further north while busy is still worth the effort to explore. Less campsites available so it tends to limit the number of people you see. Again if you avoid the access points along the highway you reduce the number of people you will encounter. For example Nellie Lake has 3 campsites , Ishmael only 2.

Further north is Temagami much of which is either Crown Land, First Nation Territory or nonoperational PP. A life time of paddling options there. I've done three or four extended trips and have only seen a fraction of the area.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
jblaser
Member
 
jblaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Brewster, NY
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBB View Post
Never paddled LV, but have tripped extensively throughout Algonquin. The rep it has for being crowded is true for access points along Highway 60, such as Canoe and Smoke Lake, If you avoid these you can have a wilderness experience.

Once you have tired of Algonquin, Kilarney PP further north while busy is still worth the effort to explore. Less campsites available so it tends to limit the number of people you see. Again if you avoid the access points along the highway you reduce the number of people you will encounter. For example Nellie Lake has 3 campsites , Ishmael only 2.

Further north is Temagami much of which is either Crown Land, First Nation Territory or nonoperational PP. A life time of paddling options there. I've done three or four extended trips and have only seen a fraction of the area.
How are the portages in Temagami? I read that many are poorly marked and overgrown.
__________________
"Such sights as this are reserved for those who will suffer to behold them."
- Eric Sevareid
Canoeing with the Cree
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #10
WBB
Member
 
WBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: WNY/Tupper Lake
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
How are the portages in Temagami? I read that many are poorly marked and overgrown.
They can be, it really depends on where you go. The more popular routes are better, but even the best of them are not even close to what you will find in Algonquin. Even the low maintenance portages in Algonquin are better then most in Temagami The North and South Channel of the Lady Evelyn River had some of the most rugged portages I have ever done, but so rewarding.

It is well worth the drive. We always started in the middle of the night, and were across the border and past TO before the traffic got bad.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.