Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
mt.runner
always outside

Kings Flow

Is there public access?
Old 08-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
dundee

I believe so, although I've only accessed Chimney Mt. There is a parking lot set up for Chimney hikers and a small fee w/drop box is there, but I think you can also paddle the flow. Anyone know for sure?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Unless something has changed, but according to one of the caretakers of The Cabins at Chimney Mountain that I met & chatted with a few years ago, there is no public access to King’s Flow (or the trails along it’s shores near the privately owned lands near the dam) unless you are staying at one of the rental cabins or have permission from the land owner. However, yes, the public can park in the parking area for (I believe) a $2 fee in the drop box (mentioned above) to access the trails to Chimney Mountain & Puffer Pond.

Last edited by Justin; 08-01-2018 at 09:00 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
dundee

Thanks, good to know.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
mt.runner
always outside

It looks like most of it is within the wilderness boundary...sad there isn’t access. I would love to paddle it!
The trail along the Flow is off limits too? I hiked it years ago from Puffer Pond....
Old 08-02-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.runner View Post
The trail along the Flow is off limits too? I hiked it years ago from Puffer Pond....
Same here, and I don’t remember ever seeing any signs prohibiting it, but that is what I was told by the caretaker (Sylvia), and what was published in the updated ‘14 edition of the Discover the South Central Adirondacks Guidebook...

Quote:
...Note that in addition to the two state trails (Chimney Mtn & Puffer Pd), there are two other routes that begin on the private property and extend into state land. These are available to guests of the cabins, and they are mentioned here for the sake of thoroughness – but the inclusion of these route descriptions in this guidebook in no way implies a public right of way.

Last edited by Justin; 08-02-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
mt.runner
always outside

Thanks Justin.
I was there Tuesday and the signs prohibiting access are there.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
OntarioSkiBum

I was just here today when hiking Chimney Mt. Legally could the owners stop someone from paddling the lake if they hiked/bushwhacked in from the state land that surrounds most of the lake. Obviously, this isn't the practical route, but it seems like it should be legal.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote