Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
jam66

Lake Lila -Paradise Lost !!

After a string of very memorable trips to Lake Lila over the last 20 plus years, I just returned from one I would like to forget. I knew that sooner or later this gem would be found by the most undesirable “campers”. The one night we we awakened by the sounds of fireworks, M80s?( large and small) which continued until almost 2 AM. The following morning they were giving each other wake up calls with smaller firecrackers. Speaking with other campers, this went on for 3 nights. One couple that had been tripping there for 25 years was forced to leave. From what I gather , a Ranger finally read them the riot act. The sad part is that resources had to be pulled from a missing persons search in the area to scold these children.
jam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #2
dundee

This is why there is birth control.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
bluequill

Sorry to hear of your experience. Lila is a special place and I fell in love with it years ago......not so much recently.

The state, towns and periodicals are going to publicize this place to death.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #4
cityboy

Sorry to hear about your experience. Lake Lila was a favorite of my brother in law. I've biked there and hiked the road to the top of the local mountain but have only canoed it once (short trip). Your story about Lila plus another story with beautiful photo's has inspired me to go back. Are there any special places that I should canoe too or is it's allure due to it's seclusion and confined to night-time camping?
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam66 View Post
From what I gather , a Ranger finally read them the riot act. The sad part is that resources had to be pulled from a missing persons search in the area to scold these children.
Very true. I don't know which ranger it was you speak of, but the particular ranger assigned to Lake Lila (Bob Zurek) was in charge of the planning function for the ongoing search activity near Paul Smiths. The incident plans team assembles all known relevant information on the subject and gathers accumulated information from each day's search activities to best determine where to next send resources for the best chance of success. I worked directly with Bob for 3 days earlier this week on that SAR incident.

Last edited by Wldrns; 07-13-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
jam66

i had just heard from a fellow camper that a Ranger was called and that someone(ranger or asst) had stopped to talk to this group on wed. This incident was obviously a low priority compared to a search for a missing person in the area.
jam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
This is why there is birth control.
Sometimes I wish it could be retroactive.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
i had just heard from a fellow camper that a Ranger was called and that someone(ranger or asst) had stopped to talk to this group on wed. This incident was obviously a low priority compared to a search for a missing person in the area.
AFRs would be wearing a tan light colored shirt. Rangers wear a full dark green uniform and carry a sidearm, which is obviously visible. AFRs do not.

Last edited by Wldrns; 07-13-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvirgil View Post
sometimes i wish it could be retroactive.
+1
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

I was camping on Lila the weekend of 7-8 July and heard fireworks.
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #11
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Sorry to hear of your experience. Lila is a special place and I fell in love with it years ago......not so much recently.

The state, towns and periodicals are going to publicize this place to death.
No fireworks two weekends ago, but the parking lot was packed to the gills. I got the 2nd to last spot and then three more cars pulled in within the next 10 minutes. Sunday was peaceful and by Tuesday morning there were only 8-10 cars there.

However, after touring some of the camp sites, I think it's probably time to shut down some of the island sites and make them day use only - no fires. A couple in particular are mowed right down and the forest floor looks like something out of The Lorax with a handful of fresh cuts. Which is especially silly since a short paddle will take many a camper near the access road where there are tons of blowdowns and cleared trees available for trimming off some firewood.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #12
adkman12986

Quote:
After a string of very memorable trips to Lake Lila over the last 20 plus years, I just returned from one I would like to forget. I knew that sooner or later this gem would be found by the most undesirable “campers”. The one night we we awakened by the sounds of fireworks, M80s?( large and small) which continued until almost 2 AM. The following morning they were giving each other wake up calls with smaller firecrackers. Speaking with other campers, this went on for 3 nights. One couple that had been tripping there for 25 years was forced to leave. From what I gather , a Ranger finally read them the riot act. The sad part is that resources had to be pulled from a missing persons search in the area to scold these children.
I probably will get s lot of flack for this but anytime there is public access to anywhere you invite this kind. I am not in favor of the state continuing to buy up this pristine properties but leaving it in private hands until they come up with the resources to deal with it.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rodder View Post
No fireworks two weekends ago, but the parking lot was packed to the gills. I got the 2nd to last spot and then three more cars pulled in within the next 10 minutes. Sunday was peaceful and by Tuesday morning there were only 8-10 cars there.

However, after touring some of the camp sites, I think it's probably time to shut down some of the island sites and make them day use only - no fires. A couple in particular are mowed right down and the forest floor looks like something out of The Lorax with a handful of fresh cuts. Which is especially silly since a short paddle will take many a camper near the access road where there are tons of blowdowns and cleared trees available for trimming off some firewood.
It's not silly, it's completely lazy. If you must have a fire, even if you don't want to go gather wood, you could always bring a bundle of wood from Stewarts. It's got a handle and it's not that heavy.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #14
Wldrns

Frequently, even on this forum, someone will come on to ask about getting an island campsite on a lake somewhere. Silly, IMO, because it doesn't take long for the entire island to become trashed. How far can you go to get firewood before people start taking down live trees? Plus, the island starts growing TP flowers everywhere, even if there is an outhouse or thunder box. Who wants to camp amongst that?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #15
jblaser

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I remember what it was like the first year it was opened to the public. Now, because of the ease of access, I would only do go there early or late in the season to (hopefully) avoid people like that.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #16
sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Frequently, even on this forum, someone will come on to ask about getting an island campsite on a lake somewhere. Silly, IMO, because it doesn't take long for the entire island to become trashed. How far can you go to get firewood before people start taking down live trees? Plus, the island starts growing TP flowers everywhere, even if there is an outhouse or thunder box. Who wants to camp amongst that?
We were camped on an island on Follensby Clear and had plenty of fire wood, from Stewart's.

If you camp on an island you need to bring your own wood.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #17
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Spork View Post
I was camping on Lila the weekend of 7-8 July and heard fireworks.

I was there 7-8 and the only fireworks were from far far away to the south / south east from where I was at on #5. I am guessing they were from Old Forge or Inlet. Low rumble and a glow in the sky directly across from me where the light dome is in this photo:

I tried to get a capture on the cell phone but it didn’t come out. The big camera was setup waiting for the Milky Way.
bmike-vt is online now   Reply With Quote