Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Lindsay Brook, Dix Mtn Wilderness

Anyone have any experience exploring the Lindsay Brook drainage west of the Northway, and possibly the old trail along its southern bank shown on older topo maps?
I was there for the first time yesterday, and discovered that travel along the brook became very difficult about a mile west of the Northway. I looked around briefly for the old trail to no avail.

Last edited by Justin; 10-22-2015 at 09:09 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Neil
Kayak-46

I just might know a thing or two 'bout ole Lindsay Brook.

I'm not sure which trail you're referring to. The only one I know of follows the S. Fork Boquet until the split, then the trail peters out at a hemlock grove.

Actually, I really only know Lindsay Brook higher up in the drainage, a few miles west of the N-way.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #3
TCD

I've been through there a few times, but never found a really useful trail along the brook west of the Northway. I traveled mostly on the north side of the brook. In a couple spots there was old camp litter (old buckets, etc.) on the south side, but not much of a path. Pretty much a pure (though easy) bushwhack.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I'm not sure which trail you're referring to. The only one I know of follows the S. Fork Boquet until the split, then the trail peters out at a hemlock grove.
The old trail is shown on the 1955 Elizabethtown Quad (pre-Northway):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I've been through there a few times, but never found a really useful trail along the brook west of the Northway. I traveled mostly on the north side of the brook. In a couple spots there was old camp litter (old buckets, etc.) on the south side, but not much of a path. Pretty much a pure (though easy) bushwhack.
Yeah there were a couple neat little waterfalls about a mile from the Northway, then the banks became too steep to follow the brook, and traveling was much easier higher up. I even found an old campsite on open rock above the brook...

...and I found a small opening with a view towards Wyman, with Grace, & Spotted in clouds...

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
tmount
Yellowman

Did anyone go up Bear from Lindsay? Someone did go up on the other side, via West Mill brook.
tmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:44 PM   #6
Festus

I followed that old logging road to about where it peters out on your map maybe 15 years ago. The logging road followed the 1812 state road (the original of the 3 Chapel Pond Pass roads) from the current parking lot at Sharp Bridge for about a mile to the old Sharp Farmhouse site (which I believe is under the Northway). Abrham Sharp obviously followed this old road and built his farm on it and not long afterwards 2 other dwellings were built nearby. This first mile is a marked trail and an obvious old road (the trail is now abandoned) that, as you know, leads to and under the Northway. You can take the tunnel partway under the Northway and then hike north, up in the woods between the 2 sections of the Northway, cross Lindsay Brook, and soon come to a 3-4 foot drop in the land that runs east/west. You may find a small cut through the drop that I'm pretty sure is evidence of the old 1812/logging road. You won't find any other signs of the road until you cross the southbound lane of the Northway. If you do this at the right spot, you'll pick up the 1812/logging road right away, heading NW. I can see it every time I drive south on the Northway if I look to my right as the old road is on elevated terrain. It is maybe 5 minutes walking north of Lindsay Brook and this spot is just south of where you have no trees between the 2 Norhtway sections (I believe)...Follow the old road from the Northway into thick woods and within 5 minutes you get to Lindsay Brook which, after flowing under the Northway, made a sharp right turn (if heading upstream) and now runs parallel to the Northway for a quarter mile or so. You'll hopefully hit the stream at about the end of this quarter mile stretch... Follow the right bank of the brook (again heading upstream) and soon the brook makes a bending left turn. A little ways further and you get to a strange sort of cleared spot where there is a rock cliff (maybe 6 feet high) forming the right bank of the river. This is the first righthand rock cliff that acts as a bank in the river and this spot looks like a perfect spot for a small dam - and it was. 1 log still remains of the dam, under water and half buried in the sandy river bottom. I dug into the bank 15 years ago before the hurricanes and found a log with an old nail confirming my suspicions that this was the site of the logging camp dam. Nothing is left now but that 1 bottom log (clearly unnatural)...It's a nice spot...Anyway, the logging road starts on the other side of this spot, which is about 5-10 minutes from the Northway. The old logging camp is a rectangular mound and it is 2 minutes before the dam (downstream) and before the stream's leftward bend when coming from the Northway. It is up on a flat section 50 feet from the stream on the stream's eastern bank...I dug around there last year and found 4 or 5 axe heads (and some cool other things) which I reburried. Last note - The old 1812 road headed right past this site and dam spot (albeit 35 years before the Sharp farm and almost exactly 100 years before the logging camp). It can be found if you find the old dam and instead of crossing Lindsay and looking for the old logging road, stay on the right bank and perhaps 50 feet from the stream notice a weakness/ramplike feature that heads fairly steeply up the right side of the stream. This was the old 1812 road and it heads up through a rocky gully and it must have required quite a bit of rock work to build the road through here over 200 years ago! You are now on top of cliffs, fairly high above Lindsay Brook...While I've followed the rest of the 1812 road from there to Keene Valley (8 or 9 miles long), it is virtually impossible to do in the summer...Good luck!

Last edited by Festus; 07-30-2018 at 11:59 PM..
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
Festus

By looking at your 1950s map you can see the left bend in the river (heading upriver) and where the terrain goes from flat to steeper. This is the old dam site...
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
MTVhike

Festus, reading your posts, there seem to be two old roads going into the Dix range from under the Northway - one following West Mill Brook (which I followed for about 3 miles two days ago, it seems to be well built) and the other following Lindsay Brook which you comment on here. Any comments?
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote