Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Nairb

Sand lake falls trail parking

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows how far you would be able to drive in and park to hike to sand lake falls. I read that bear creek road turns into another road right that can be driven down with a 4x4 vehicle after the parking area. Just wondering if this is correct or not because everything else I've read talks about hiking that road. Hiking the entire way is fine with me I'm just wondering so that I can plan better. I have a stock Jeep Wrangler. Thanks everyone. also if you have any tips or must do/see side trips near there would really appreciate that as well. I plan on going in Friday evening and staying in the area until Sunday afternoon.
Nairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Tug Hill

I don’t think it’s legal to drive beyond the end of the Bear Creek Rd ?
It may be shorter for you to access Sand Lake Falls, via North Lake/Atwell.
You can drive to North Lake , take a left before the steel deck bridge, and the trailhead is just up that road a little ways on your left.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Wldrns

Tug Hill, I believe you are correct on both counts. I've been in there from both directions, but never drove beyond the obvious parking area on Bear creek Road (except when authorized during a SAR incident).

That area was literally the "poster child" of a well publicized report on land abuses by illegal ATV travel in the adirondacks from the "Protect the Adirondacks" organization. Unfortunately, the large SAR incident of a couple years ago in there largely erased any land recovery progress that had been made to date.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

I believe the road is called Mill Creek Rd beyond the parking area, and it is certainly driveable, and in quite good condition. As to the legality, I would certainly check with the Forest ranger for that area. I've spoken with him before and he's very responsive and a nice guy.

Robert Coscomb 315-235-5374
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
Wldrns

I know there was quite an effort to reclaim the area after the SAR incident damage, including many truckloads of gravel to patch the old and new mud holes. I haven't been in that way since the SAR. Ranger Bob C. could certainly let you know present day conditions.

Last edited by Wldrns; 08-29-2018 at 08:44 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
Nairb

thanks everyone. I will definitely give the ranger a call. I heard that the last mile of trail when coming from north lake is always under water. Anyone know if that is true?
Nairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

I would come from the west. If reports say it's bad, it's probably bad.

I've also read conflicting info about Mill Creek Rd. I've read you can drive it and I've also read stuff that says park at the end of Bear Creek Rd. I've only ever parked at the large parking area. I don't recall there being a closed gate though. The road had been recently graveled last time I was there and looked good.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:54 PM   #8
RipVanWinkle

I've come at it from North Lake side during black fly season and it was a huge mistake.
Even without the black fly torture the trail goes through some meadows that are very wet and boggy.
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
DuctTape
Out of Shape

There is a private inholding, "The village of Millbrook". Road access is to these inholdings. The parking for the TH is on Bear Cr rd.The trail is a bit torn up, but not so bad. It is used mostly be snowmobilers if the shelter log entries are an indication.

There is parking close to the trailhead for Gull Lake on the road too. This is new, with dedicated parking for those with disabilities.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sand lake fall