Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Sinite

Crane Mountain Pond Depth?

I am thinking of bringing my Hornbeck up to Crane Mountain Pond. I cannot find any info regarding depth. I just want to make sure I am not hauling my boat and camping gear up to a shallow mud puddle. Can anyone give me a clue about the depth?
Also, are the campsites heavily used? I am thinking end of September maybe.
Thanks!
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
dundee

Can't say about the depth, deep enough for swimming, but it's nice clear water with quite a bit of rocky shoreline. Campsite is heavily used; I think there's only one legal spot. I also believe it to be stocked and maybe (?) a special trout water, meaning no fish as bait and possible (?) artificial lures only. You'll have to check on those.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
skillzman1

I bring an inflatable and fish it. Not sure I would want to try dragging a canoe up that mountain, an inflatable is the way to go. It is a trout water, no fish as bait.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Sinite

Thanks! I am a vegan so no worries for the fish! I just want to bring my canoe as sort of a challenge to myself. I like paddling hard to get to places. Thinking I will line the boat up the ladders.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
dundee

Oops, partially my mistake. I thought this was posted in the fishing forum, anyway, it's a nice pond, but as Skillzman says, a steep climb. I've seen people drag paddle boards up there, so it can be done. There is a trail on the northwest side of the mt. that goes directly to the pond and avoids the ladders.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
Pauly D.

There are several campsites on the pond but unless you are an Army Ranger there is no way in heck I would haul a Hornbeck up there. Best of luck nonetheless.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
Lucky13

The DEC Website confirms that it is a reclaimed Brook Trout Pond, no fish for bait. There is no information on the ALS or DEC websites on the pond, and there is not yet a UMP for the Wilcox Lake area where the pond is located.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
skillzman1

Honestly.... It can just as successfully be fished from shore. If you haven't been up the mountain before you should scout it before you kill yourself dragging a canoe up...and down to catch little stockies.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
forgedin78

I agree, I was just trying to imagine climbing even the direct route with a canoe...

I guess it's possible, but wow, hope you go scout it out like he said, if you haven't been there before. Its very steep by any trail to the pond.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #10
Wldrns

I've never been there so I don't know what the climb is like, but with the right custom carry rig with a Hornbeck, I can't imagine much that would be impossibly difficult if you really want to do it. I paddled and carried my Hornbeck 185 miles (including 62 total carry miles) from one side of the Adirondacks to the other a few years ago.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
Sinite

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I've never been there so I don't know what the climb is like, but with the right custom carry rig with a Hornbeck, I can't imagine much that would be impossibly difficult if you really want to do it. I paddled and carried my Hornbeck 185 miles (including 62 total carry miles) from one side of the Adirondacks to the other a few years ago.
Awesome! I do have a custom rig that Pete was considering using as a guide for a rig he is considering producing.
As far as getting up the ladders I am thinking of lining the boat up with two separate lines, a primary and a "safety" backup with a separate attachment point.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #12
Sinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
There are several campsites on the pond but unless you are an Army Ranger there is no way in heck I would haul a Hornbeck up there. Best of luck nonetheless.
I am not a Ranger, but I was raised by one! does that count?:-)
I have done some pretty extreme trips with my Hornbeck. I just did the most challenging route in Quetico under hellish conditions. I got a change out of it! I think maybe this will settle me down for winter:-) Wish me luck!
Old 09-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #13
forgedin78

Theres really no reason to use the ladders. That trail goes well above the pond, and then you will have to down climb to the pond. The western trail to the pond has no ladders that I can remember.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
skillzman1

As I recall, you climb approx. 1000' in elevation in just under 1/2 mile on the trail to the pond. Most of this elevation is gained in less than half of that distance over a boulder slide that essentially is like climbing picnic tables up a 40% grade. The trail splits at the half mile point to go the last half mile to the pond(to the left) or another .75 miles up the ladders(to the right) to the peak and then down the back of the peak to the pond adding another .75 miles down even steeper terrain with loose/ no footholds.
I climbed Crane Mt. 26 times two summers ago, less last year because I had a heart attack (literally) while climbing Crane Mt. in April. And any who know me, know that I'm no slouch when it comes to being in shape.
Take an inflatable and float around to your hearts content. It is probably one of the most beautiful little ponds around, well worth the trip.
Can you get a hornbeck up there? Impossible? No. Make any sense? No
You can push your car from Albany to Plattsburgh, that too would be a challenge.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #15
Sinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedin78 View Post
Theres really no reason to use the ladders. That trail goes well above the pond, and then you will have to down climb to the pond. The western trail to the pond has no ladders that I can remember.
Thanks!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #16
Sinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
As I recall, you climb approx. 1000' in elevation in just under 1/2 mile on the trail to the pond. Most of this elevation is gained in less than half of that distance over a boulder slide that essentially is like climbing picnic tables up a 40% grade. The trail splits at the half mile point to go the last half mile to the pond(to the left) or another .75 miles up the ladders(to the right) to the peak and then down the back of the peak to the pond adding another .75 miles down even steeper terrain with loose/ no footholds.
I climbed Crane Mt. 26 times two summers ago, less last year because I had a heart attack (literally) while climbing Crane Mt. in April. And any who know me, know that I'm no slouch when it comes to being in shape.
Take an inflatable and float around to your hearts content. It is probably one of the most beautiful little ponds around, well worth the trip.
Can you get a hornbeck up there? Impossible? No. Make any sense? No
You can push your car from Albany to Plattsburgh, that too would be a challenge.
:-)