Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you PREFER to paddle?
I prefer to paddle solo whenever I can get away with it. 86 78.90%
I prefer to paddle tandem with a partner--two sets of arms are better than one! 20 18.35%
I'll paddle with as many people as I can fit in the canoe--the more the merrier! 1 0.92%
I prefer to sit back and let someone else do all the work. 2 1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #61
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rodder View Post
Does she hang her legs over the gunnels and put her feet in the water while you're paddling like mine does?

There goes all my momentum. Again.

You need to learn to describe the snapping turtles better!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #62
mgc

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would marry/partner with someone that doesn't canoe and paddle? Isn't finding a paddling partner a prerequisite?
When you have kids, who's going to man the second canoe until the dwarf's are experienced enough to have their own canoe..?
And who's going to carry the gear when you carry? None of this solo stuff makes a great deal of sense to me...maybe this is why there are fewer canoes on the water and so many kayaks.
I do paddle solo from time to time, but it's never been a passion. I keep a nice little Chestnut Fox around for that and I've sold the kayaks...except for running whitewater I have no use for them. I don't like being stuffed into a hot cockpit and I loath water running down my arms.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #63
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
I'm not sure I understand why anyone would marry/partner with someone that doesn't canoe and paddle? Isn't finding a paddling partner a prerequisite? .
Canoeing is how we met (51 years ago). We tripped together for years but health (and age) got the better part of her. Hence, I paddle solo and she rarely complains about my leaving her home with the dog.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #64
cvarcher

I would sure like to know where I could buy a Chestnut Fox canoe.
cvarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #65
spokes54

My wife and I only have 2 tandem canoes so that's what we paddle. Whether out for a day just fishing or exploring, or on a several day or week long trip, we have always paddled tandem. It seems to just work for us and in heavy water or wind, seems to be an advantage.
spokes54 is offline   Reply With Quote