Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
danceswithflies

PFD Recommendation?

My wife has been trying to find a PFD that fits comfortably on her short torso. It will be for use in a canoe paddling with a single-bladed paddle. Has anyone solved the fit problem using an inflating PFD? Brand?
danceswithflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

My son and his GF recently invested in new PFD's after practicing their deep water self rescue. They both looked for maximum buoyancy, since they had a tough time righting their boat without being forced waaay under water. Both are paddling a tandem canoe, with 12 degree bent shafts.
Anyway, she's 5'0" or so, and tried on many different PFD's until she was satisfied with the fit. Sent back the ones that ddn't fit...it was a long process. They also visited many nearby shops, with no success.

I think she ended up with an Astral Layla in size small.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
Matt C

I have been using an inflating Onyx AM 24 for years, and when my wife started tagging along last year, I let her try it. They really don't work well on most women's bodies. She ended up, after trying on dozens of pfd's, one of the Astral kayaking vests. She is 5 ft, slightly 'plump', and one heck of a paddler (he said with a grin).
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote