Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
mphilli2

Wenonah Wee Lassie

Has anyone purchased or paddled the Wenonah Wee Lassie? Any comments or reviews would be helpful. Thanks much for your help.

Last edited by mphilli2; 07-10-2008 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: typo
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
richard p

I have not, but was told that Raquette River Outfitters in Tupper Lake has them (perhaps to rent) along with the Bell Bucktail and the Vermont Canoe Tupper. I hope to try them all and purchase when I go up at the end of August.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
mwanner
ViewAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilli2 View Post
Has anyone purchased or paddled the Wenonah Wee Lassie? Any comments or reviews would be helpful. Thanks much for your help.
Just in case you're looking at the Wenonah because you're put off by the price of Hornbecks, there just happens to be a used 10 footer listed in the Adirondack Enterprise, at $1295. Says it's carbon with ash rails-- I believe it must be carbon/kevlar, as the all-carbon boat has a carbon gunwale. It also says it's 12 lbs, but the 10 foot carbon/kevlar boat is more like 15 lbs.
The Adirondack Wilderness ... is a vast natural park, one immense and silent forest, curiously and beautifully broken by the gleaming waters of a myriad of lakes, between which rugged mountain ranges rise as a sea of granite billows. -- Verplanck Colvin
mwanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
BellWildFIRE

I believe I saw a Hemlock Nessmuk..

in NJ on Paddling.net for $500-
that's a smoking deal
~Glenn
BellWildFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
charlie wilson

Comparisons

I have a comparative spec sheet on every available pack canoe that I'll gladly forward to any interested parties. You'll need to email charliewilson610@adelphia.net, as I cannot seem to attach files to emails through this site.

WeNoNah's WL has a sliding seat with a hard, wood slats and aluminum bars, backrest. Sliders can help with trim if they aren't too heavy or fragile. We tried an Adk Guideboat type hard backrest in 04, and dropped it. It inhibited proper torso rotation.

We, and our customers, prefer a softer, padded and adjustable backband - usually set so when paddling hard it doesn't touch the back, but is there when you want to lean back into it.

Bell, Placid boatworks and Vermont Canoe use adjustable backbands. Hemlock and Hornbeck use fixed backpads. Grasse River seems to get along without an back pad and WeNoNah is alone with a hard rest fixed to the seat which is similar to the seat with backrest in Bell's RobRoy and Swift's kayaks. It'll be interesting as the market sorts all this out.

Last edited by charlie wilson; 07-14-2008 at 09:23 AM..
charlie wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
kwc
loser

Wee Lassie

We looked at the Wee Lassie over this past weekend ... we really liked it. There are just too many choices. And it's very hard to make a decision. We are leaning towards the Wee Lassies because of the price ... it's hundreds less than the others mentioned by other posters.

Outside of the fixed backrest, are there any other reasons why we should not purchase a pair of Wee Lassies?

thanks!!

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
charlie wilson

WeNoNah Wee Lassies are pretty similarly priced to the Bell BuckTail when both have aluminum trim. The Wee Lassie is made in China, the Bell is made in Wisconsin, has an adjustable backband, and was designed by David Yost.

For a little more money, Vermont Canoe's Tupper has real wood rails, a real seat and an adjustable backband. It was designed by someone we all know and like, Robbie Frenette, and is fabricated in Vermont, which is also not China.

There are four other pack canoe options, all made in New York State by known designers and builders at an array of quality and performance levels. But if cost is more important than performance there is no reason to describe them.

The Wenonah Wee Lassie is a nice pack canoe built to an attractive price-point.

Last edited by charlie wilson; 09-01-2008 at 09:30 PM..
charlie wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
Wildernessphoto

I know someone who makes cedar strip wee lassie's if you are into paddling a work of art.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottom 1.jpg (119.2 KB, 306 views)

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #9
Wildernessphoto

inside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gary with boat.jpg (103.5 KB, 299 views)

Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernessphoto View Post
I know someone who makes cedar strip wee lassie's if you are into paddling a work of art.

That is beautiful.
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Looks really nice!!
A buddy of mine is just finishing his Wee Lassie II, a tad bigger. So far, his costs are about $400, and it will probably weigh around 22 Lb.
here is a link to photos of it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveMRG/WeeLassieII
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
Wildernessphoto

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread...

Carry on...

Old 08-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #13
kwc
loser

just to clear up something mentioned in a previous post ... the Wenonah Wee Lassie is NOT made in China, it's made in Minnesota. The seat back is hinged, so it's not in a fixed position; you can lean back, etc., and it flexes as you paddle. The seat itself is adjustable (sliding).

No, it's not a RapidFire or Spitfire ... but then I'd expect a lot more from those canoes at their price points.

Last edited by kwc; 08-22-2008 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: wrong state
Old 08-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #14
paddlewheel

I just bought a WE_NO_NAH Wee Lassie today at the boathouse in Schenectady. I took in for it's maiden voyage on the Hudson off of Exit 17n. Sherman Island ...it's part of Moreau St. Park..It handles great and is really quick...I have a smaller version that I got back in the 80's (10 1/2 ft.) from apple line but now it's pretty beat. Still water tight ...just a little bit salt looking and in bad need of a paint job but how the hell do you paint kevlar? What I really like about the Wenonah is that it has an adjustable seat & an adjustable footbar..It's a little bit heavier than the old Apple line...That one only weighed 12lbs.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc View Post
just to clear up something mentioned in a previous post ... the Wenonah Wee Lassie is NOT made in China, it's made in Minnesota. The seat back is hinged, so it's not in a fixed position; you can lean back, etc., and it flexes as you paddle. The seat itself is adjustable (sliding).

No, it's not a RapidFire or Spitfire ... but then I'd expect a lot more from those canoes at their price points.

Sorry..the hull IS made in China. The finishings are installed in MN.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #16
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
Sorry..the hull IS made in China. The finishings are installed in MN.
to quote the response I received today from Wenonah, "The Wee Lassie is fully manufactured in Winona, Minnesota. A few of our Hybrid series of kayaks are manufactured in China. All of our canoes are made in Minnesota. Have a great day!" (bold and italics are mine)

perhaps you have inside information ... or Wenonah in lying to me (I asked them specifically about the hull manufacture or if any of the canoe is made in China).

Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
kayakrski

I believe you're right kwc!
kayakrski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #18
wheelsx5

I rented a 12.6 We-no-nah Wee Lassie from St Regis Outfitters last July and loved it. I was paddling a 12’ Field&Stream kayak (~55lbs). The kayak was ok, but at 6’6” 210, it was tolerable but not a great fit. I had paddled a friend’s 10’ Hornbeck and I found that really tippy (I’m way too big for that boat). The Wee Lassie is very stable and now I have tons a room for storage and tripping. Two important things: mine is the “expedition” build which has front and rear skid plates incorporated into the build. These areas, especially the bow, take the brunt of the use and I’m sure that protection will come in handy. I also bought the high back Yak Pad for the seat. This pad fits perfectly and comes off by unsnapping two buckles. It’s like a gel pad – very comfy. Raquette outfitters had other boats, but they said that the other 12-14’ solos would be much more unstable for my height/weight.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #19
Matt C

I tested the Wee Lassie at Mountainman in the spring and was quite disappointed in the seat-back comfort and handling characteristics. It is hard for me to say that, as I have had several other Wenonah solos and am a big fan of the company. I ended up with a Swift Pack, but Mr. Wilson makes some excellent points.

To clarify, the Wee Lassie I tested was the original 12.6 length, and was disappointed in both comfort and handling. The mini-Wee was not yet out, or at least in stock at Mountainman. I can only imagine they are going after the Hornbeck and similar market by introducing such a small boat, but doubt the handling and comfort characteristics can be better than its bigger sister.

Last edited by Matt C; 10-04-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #20
JohnnyVirgil

I thought the Wee Lassie was 10.6 feet and the Wee Lassie II was something like 12 feet and more stable? There are couple of ultra light slipstream wee lassies for sale on the book of faces right now.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote