Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
jkauff73

Western Adirondacks overnight paddle trip

Coming up to our cabin just outside Croghan next weekend. We have been talking about doing an overnight paddle trip while there. We were thinking of something very simple like the Beaver River from Moshier Reservoir to High Falls (or possibly all the way to Croghan).
But part of me wants to get more from the trip. An area that's more remote, with possibly a hike that could be done during the day. I know there's great options around the park but don't want to drive very far to get to it.
Another possibility is Stillwater. I would love to paddle to Beaver River sometime. And hike to the firetower.
Does anyone have experience at Stillwater? Or have other suggestions for that side of the park?
jkauff73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
snapper
snapper

For what it's worth, if you head over to Stillwater right now the fire tower is currently closed. I believe it's for hunting season but nonetheless, I've now received a couple of reports and e-mails stating the trail to the tower is closed until sometime in December.
Just thought you should know.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Bob K

Stillwater options

Stillwater Res has many places to go, however weather (wind in particular) can severely limit travel there if bad. Check other threads on this forum for more specifics.

Some years ago I hired a shuttle boat to take me & kayak up to Trout Pond where I then traveled up North to Salmon & Witchopple. The nice trail continues further. You will be unlikely to see anyone. There is a leanto (shady & fair) at the Trout Pond trailhead, but no longer one at Salmon (in spite of showing on a few maps).

I paddled back to the launch and sure did encounter some wind. Earlier in the day is typically least wind. This is big water. You could shuttle both ways.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
Tug Hill

Check out the Watson East triangle, north of Belfort.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Wldrns

Lots to do around Stillwater, provided you can handle the wind when it comes up on the big lake. People have died there. The Red Horse trail to Clear lake is a good one, with a reward at the unusual sight of the clarity of Clear Lake. Heading up the logging road to Raven and beyond to Lyon, then all the way to Bear Pond and the headwater of the Oswegatchie is rewarding too. It offers side trips to Muskrat, Sunshine an Mosier Ponds, all interesting to visit along with other interior ponds of Hawk, Dismal, Evergreen and Willys as good for bushwhacking. Some offer excellent fishing. Remote Pepperbox Pond is not far away if you have good navigation skills and a light canoe.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
jblaser

What's the name of the shuttle provider? How much does the shuttle cost for one backpacker and gear? Is there any cell service at the Trout Pond drop-off point? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
Wldrns

The shuttle was run by the Thompson family if I recall correctly. I'm sure you can find out more by contacting the store or restaurant at the launch. I don't think the cost is very high. A canoe trip into the kettle hole to the north of the dam is normally relatively wind free. From there hiking opportunities are almost unlimited north toward Raven Lake and beyond, or for more adventure go toward north and west toward Muskrat Pond and beyond toward the Pepperbox. For more in depth information, the local ranger is always a good resource, currently the ranger is Matthew Savarie.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/679.html
Old 10-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
jblaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
The shuttle was run by the Thompson family if I recall correctly. I'm sure you can find out more by contacting the store or restaurant at the launch. I don't think the cost is very high. A canoe trip into the kettle hole to the north of the dam is normally relatively wind free. From there hiking opportunities are almost unlimited north toward Raven Lake and beyond, or for more adventure go toward north and west toward Muskrat Pond and beyond toward the Pepperbox. For more in depth information, the local ranger is always a good resource, currently the ranger is Matthew Savarie.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/679.html
Thanks very much Wldrns. I am going to look into it for next summer. I would really like to canoe up near Trout, canoe camp a bit and then backpack into Witchopple and clear, but it seems like Stillwater can get windy and difficult, so I think I need an alternative plan in case I arrive and find those conditions. How's the road into Stillwater, would a low clearance vehicle do ok on it? Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
Thanks very much Wldrns. I am going to look into it for next summer. I would really like to canoe up near Trout, canoe camp a bit and then backpack into Witchopple and clear, but it seems like Stillwater can get windy and difficult, so I think I need an alternative plan in case I arrive and find those conditions. How's the road into Stillwater, would a low clearance vehicle do ok on it? Thanks again.
That's a great trip. You will be impressed with Clear. It is absolutely clear water, as transparent as a pool, highly unusual color in the Adirondacks. There used to be a very leaky boat stashed there, but you would have to figure out a makeshift paddle.

The road is usually good enough for any car of any clearance. There may be an occasional piece of a rock sticking up, easy to avoid if you watch out. After the town runs the occasional grader through and pushes the rocks to the side, the road is much smoother.

Last edited by Wldrns; 10-31-2018 at 12:02 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
jblaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
That's a great trip. You will be impressed with Clear. It is absolutely clear water, as transparent as a pool, highly unusual color in the Adirondacks. There used to be a very leaky boat stashed there, but you would have to figure out a makeshift paddle.

The road is usually good enough for any car of any clearance. There may be an occasional piece of a rock sticking up, easy to avoid if you watch out After the town runs the occasional grader through and pushes the rocks to the side, the road is much smoother.
Thanks again Wldrns. I will start the planning...