Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Thegreatfox

High peaks challenge question

So i am planning on hiking Marcy, little haystack, haystack, Iroquois, Algonquin in that order in a 24 hour period. My research says it is about 32 miles total add in some steep climbing grades and i want to know if what i am planning is just gonna be really hard or easy or suicidal. I have done many 25 plus mile hikes and a couple 45 milers but i dont know what to exspect from this because i havent done any of these hikes before. Thanks for your replies.
Thegreatfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
peskypup

Have any of your 25 or 45 milers been in the Adirondacks? Many experienced hikers from outside the area have been caught off guard by the ruggedness of trails in the High Peaks.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
rickhart

As pup said, you don't say how much elevation the 25 or 45 mile hikes encompassed, or how rough the trails were, or even where they were. It's also hard to give advice w/o knowing more about the hiker's capacities.
Why don't you try hiking *some* of that route, so you get a feeling for it? Is doing the longer route right away that urgent? Many people would consider just Marcy & Haystack a strenuous day hike.
If you do it at the end of October, you should be prepared for possible snow and cold weather, including being equipped for a cold overnight if necessary.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:25 AM   #4
TCD

Also, you don't say where you are starting from - there are at least a couple options.

And is there a reason for the order? It would involve some backtracking...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Lucky13

Based on what my brother, the 46er, has told me about those hikes, you may be doing a LOT of it in the dark, please remember that you'll have, what, about 9-10 hours of daylight at the end of October.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
tenderfoot

A bit confused as to where you are starting from. Haystacks are East of Marcy. Iroquois and Algonquin are West. Also, if the trail from Lake Colden to Iroquois is part of your trip I hear (but do not know from experience) that going up that trail is challenging.

Also, 24 hours? Like start hiking at 3pm Monday and on trail until 3pm Tuesday? Please carry appropriate gear for overnighting even if your intent is to walk through the night. Heck, I carry an emergency bivvy, food - all that good stuff - even on longer day trip sin the Daks.

Lastly - there are a few well known traverses involving same number of peaks nut maybe aligned a bit better and less 'forks in the road' for navigating in the dark. This sounds like it will be a great adventure but if you are flexible with which peaks I think it will be more enjoyable.

link to write up on the Great Range Traverse

Last edited by tenderfoot; 10-12-2018 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Added link to Great Range Traverse
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
richard1726

Faster you go the less you see.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
TCD

Now don't diss the fast hiker...

I was a trail runner or years until a knee acted up. You see everything - it unrolls like a video under your feet; it's amazing.

I'm slow now in trail running circles, but I could still do this proposed hike with no problem. Fast guys could do 2 or 3 laps on it in 24h.

It's fun!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Hear the Footsteps

I wouldn't be doing this hike in October. But that's just me. Sounds like you are capable.

Is there a reason to do this group. You might get similar elevation by staying to a loop with a smaller radius. I.e. pull in all or some of Skylight, Gray, Colden, Tabletop and Phelps. You'll be in easy striking distance of most.

It'll probably be better to get to Iroquois and Algonquin avoiding Cold Brook pass.

And it seems like it has to be from the HPIC unless you are spotting a vehicle.

Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 10-12-2018 at 10:18 PM..
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
Festus

Kind of off topic but a friend of mine did the 10 highest in 24 hours...Now that was a long day!
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #11
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

End of October, might want to bring the micro spikes.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #12
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
End of October, might want to bring the micro spikes.
With that in mind keep in touch with the weather. Can be Ice and Snow, suddenly in October.
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:45 AM   #13
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatfox View Post
So i am planning on hiking Marcy, little haystack, haystack, Iroquois, Algonquin in that order in a 24 hour period. My research says it is about 32 miles total add in some steep climbing grades and i want to know if what i am planning is just gonna be really hard or easy or suicidal. I have done many 25 plus mile hikes and a couple 45 milers but i dont know what to exspect from this because i havent done any of these hikes before. Thanks for your replies.
Using BRouter, I created a loop-route that's 22.2 miles long with 7400+ feet ascent (the ascent is a conservative estimate).

What is your 32 mile route?

PS
Late October conditions will make it extra challenging. I hope you're in kick-azz shape because if not, this route will kick your azz.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
MTVhike

[IMG]d:\MaHaIrAl-loop.jpg[/IMG]I haven't seen any response from TheGreatFox, but was wondering if this is his proposed route? 19 miles and 8000 ft ascent. (I may have trouble posting my map image, so it's HPIC-Ma-Ha-Ir-Al-HPIC via Panther Gorge)
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #15

This seems odd.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote