Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Stripper convention at Rock Lake

The plan had been set in concrete for months.
Carry to Rock Lake, make camp there, day trip upstream and downstream on the Rock River as far as possible.
Well, it didn't quite go as planned.

Forecast didn't look too bad, but it didn't seem too good either. We arrived at the trailhead in a heavy drizzle.

We expected some rain, no problem. Signed in at the register and the last folks before us (1-1/2 weeks before) skied in.
Here's the trail:

Old 05-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

But the trail got better as we went in.

The weather was, uhmm, variable. By the time we were loading the boats, it had stopped raining and was pretty warm. Everyone stripped down to shorts and T shirts...

We paddled John Mack Brook until the lake came into view. There's a 2 ft tall beaver dam just before the lake. From there we could see that the lake was still half frozen, but, that meant that it was half open!!

Old 05-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
BlackRock

^^^^Exactly!
BlackRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

The edge of the ice was about 4 inches thick, and covered a little more than half of the lake.

As the day went on, it got more and more windy. We watched as the ice was blown downwind, and forced up onto the rocks and far shore.

We set up the tents, and gathered a bunch od firewood.

We then set off for a paddle up the Rock River, it was running high and fast.
Anonymous nephew, his GF, and their little dog promptly swamped their boat near shore (luckily, I guess). They decided to not paddle up the river.
We managed to travel upstream just under a mile before everyone else threw in the towel. The current was about 6 mph. It's a pretty stretch of river.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

As we returned to the site, we heard distant thunder, even though our skies were still partly sunny. We managed to finish dinner, mostly, before the deluge arrived. We did have a small tarp and good rain gear, some of us anyway. I have to say, it was very enjoyable watching the lightening strikes on Sawyer Mt, and listening to the thunder echo around us for minutes at a time.

And then came the winds...

All of us hunkered down in our tents, while trees toppled not too far away. Not sure when the winds died down, but I actually slept well. In the morning, everyone else was traumatized, so much so that I was the only vote for staying.
Oh well...we packed up and paddled back under beautiful skies and stiff winds.
Later, we would find out that 200,000 New Yorkers were without power, and Glens Falls Airport registered peak wind gusts of 61 mph. Judging by the number of trees down around us, the we had higher winds yet.

On the plus side, my son used his freshly built stripper for the first time, and everyone has some great stories to tell once they relax a bit.
The downstream section of the Rock will still be there for some time to come, I'll get there eventually!

Old 05-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

BTW,
Some additional photos and a few videos here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d64BLEEg3ox7krji2
Old 05-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
coldfeet

Friend told me trees were falling all over the place up there. Heard a lady was hit by a falling tree. Crazy, I need to be more aware of my campsites from now on.

Love the Strippers. so pretty.
coldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Great photos Mike, thanks for sharing!
Bummer that no one wanted to follow through with the trip that you’ve been scouting & planning for several years now, but as you say....the river will always be there.

And yes, some very sad news from the storms in the Pharaoh region last Friday... https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/v...n-malerba-dies
Old 05-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Justin,
I really did sleep through all of it, the kids didn't sleep at all, and were seriously traumatized.
We could have suffered the same fate as the lady from Tupper Lake...Josh had an emergency weather radio and turned it on around 8:00 Friday. If you could have been there...it was like a scene from a movie, our jaws dropping, listening to the warnings.

As for the Rock River downstream, maybe I'll wait for warmer water, even if it means more scrubbing and dragging.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I've been to Rock Lake a few times but only in August, it certainly looks colder in your pictures. Swamping certainly sounds unpleasant with the ice just going out, I hope they didn't get too wet. Were you planning to go down the Rock and come out somewhere else, or to go down and back? I'm glad that no trees landed on your party, it sounds like quite a wind.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #12
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I've been to Rock Lake a few times but only in August, it certainly looks colder in your pictures. Swamping certainly sounds unpleasant with the ice just going out, I hope they didn't get too wet. Were you planning to go down the Rock and come out somewhere else, or to go down and back? I'm glad that no trees landed on your party, it sounds like quite a wind.
Zach
Zach,
My nephew went chest deep, his GF fully in and under, and their little dog too!
I was hoping to go down to the Chain Drain and back as a day trip, eventually doing a through trip coming out (or going in?) via the Essex Chain Lakes.
Now a question for you:
When you were there in August, were all of the campsites occupied?
Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #13
Zach

I'm sorry to hear of the depths of the immersions, it sounds very sad. On my various trips some of the sites along the south shore have been occupied at times, and sometimes all were open. Both times I was there with a canoe the site on the north shore near the outlet was occupied, but two is not a large sample size and on my first visit I was on foot and didn't go that far. There is a site on a point on the east side of the lake, just to the west of the large beach, which I have never seen occupied and didn't know was there till my last visit in 2016 when I stumbled on it. I think I recall that there is reputed to be a third canoe-in site somewhere on the lake but I have not found it. I hope your Chain Drain trips will come to fruition, they sound like ambitious goals for sure but I know you've done some pretty hard traveling with your crew at times.
Zach

Last edited by Zach; 05-10-2018 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Failed to look at map before posting, was 90 degrees off
Old 05-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #14
equyst

Great photos Mike, thanks for sharing!
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I really need to keep a better eye on the weather!
Just got back from a much too hot and humid few days at Rock Lake.
Ran out of water on the way to the Rock downstream from the lake, and it looked as though I just stepped out of the shower. Sadly, the downstream section will have to wait yet again.

But get this! As I was taking a couple pics this morning of a misty scene, I spied some movement on the water, near the inlet. At first glance I thought it was a beaver swimming with sticks...
I guess everyone needs to cool off now and then!! I watched this dude swim the entire 1/2 mile across the lake, he purposely avoided a shallow section.

Yes, that's a very healthy six pointer. And a distance swimmer too!

More photos here, if anyone is interested.

Last edited by stripperguy; 09-07-2018 at 08:44 AM..
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Great photos Mike!
Almost looks like an 8 pointer...?
Old 09-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
Lucky13

4 on one side 2 on the other, unless they sprout more before he goes completely out of velvet. Big 6 though!
Lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #18
webby459

So pretty up there. Did you camp this time? If so, did you hear the nearby coyote families? We were there this past weekend on a private parcel across the road-ish from Rock Lake that we've camped at for the last 3 years now on Labor Day weekend. We were lucky enough to be serenaded all 3 nights by a couple families of coyotes, one of which sounded like they were on the Rock Lake side.

Beautiful area, I'm just starting to mull over doing some sort of backpacking loop on that side to involve the O'Neil Flow road over to some of the lakes in the Blue Mountain WF, maybe we could pass by Rock on the way.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #19
Zach

That's a great sighting, but too bad about the low water levels. It always surprises me that deer can swim, given that they don't have much fat and their legs are so thin and pointy, but I guess they must be pretty good at it to go that far.
Zach
Old 09-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #20
JohnnyVirgil

I must have missed the original thread. How did they manage to swamp?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote