Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #21
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
That's a great sighting, but too bad about the low water levels. It always surprises me that deer can swim, given that they don't have much fat and their legs are so thin and pointy, but I guess they must be pretty good at it to go that far.
Zach
FWITW, all their hair except the tail is hollow.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #22
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Great photos Mike!
Almost looks like an 8 pointer...?
It was a 6 pointer, the linked photo doesn't show it that well. Also saw a 10 pointer saunter across the dirt road almost to Barker Pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
4 on one side 2 on the other, unless they sprout more before he goes completely out of velvet. Big 6 though!
Yeah, both bucks that I saw were losing their velvet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
So pretty up there. Did you camp this time? If so, did you hear the nearby coyote families? We were there this past weekend on a private parcel across the road-ish from Rock Lake that we've camped at for the last 3 years now on Labor Day weekend. We were lucky enough to be serenaded all 3 nights by a couple families of coyotes, one of which sounded like they were on the Rock Lake side.

Beautiful area, I'm just starting to mull over doing some sort of backpacking loop on that side to involve the O'Neil Flow road over to some of the lakes in the Blue Mountain WF, maybe we could pass by Rock on the way.
Yes, I did camp for 2 nights, on the big site near the outlet (with a thunderbox). I did hear the coyotes both nights, sounded like they were near O'Neill Flow?

Heard but not seen:
Those coyotes
Barred owls

Seen but not heard:
3 beavers (or maybe the same one all over the place)
That Egret? or White Heron
Muskie's

Seen and heard:
Hummingbird (I got buzzed!)
Kingfisher with prey in it's claws
Loon
Some kinda ducks (I don't know my fowls)

Seen, heard and felt:
Stable flies, by the hundreds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
That's a great sighting, but too bad about the low water levels. It always surprises me that deer can swim, given that they don't have much fat and their legs are so thin and pointy, but I guess they must be pretty good at it to go that far.
Zach
I thought the same thing...Not sure how big their lungs are, (been 48 years since my last field dressing) but much buoyancy there. And how do they cup their hooves to better paddle??
One thing for sure, he didn't swim very fast. I contemplated jumping in the canoe to get closer, then decided to just watch to see what his plans were.

And the water levels...I really need to time it just right, not snow melt levels, but certainly not dry, late summer levels either.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #23
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I must have missed the original thread. How did they manage to swamp?
I didn't see it happen, but they were barely in the water. Nephew's GF was a little shaky in the boat anyway, it's a lively hull. The boat is definitely more stable for them when it's loaded.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #24
Lucky13

Muskie's???
Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #25
webby459

*Sorry I can't quote you, proxy blocks it.

Yep, the one group of coyotes sounded like they were up (relative from where we were) near O'Neill Flow, the other group was basically S to SSW from there across 28, kind of behind where we were, which was on part of the block-shaped private holding on that side of 28.

We DID hear what may have been the Egret, I've sent the link to the sound to my wife to confirm, that'll be fun dinner convo with the family tonight!

If you were there over last weekend, in fact, you may have met some of my family and friends, they were in a group that hiked to Rock, two women, two 11yo boys and two dogs. Small world, if so!
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #26
Lucky13

I see, Tigers that must come downstream from Lake Durant. Do you like Rock because it is convenient to the road? Do you limit your stays to three nights or do you contact the ranger for a permit?

I only viewed the Lake through the trees as I walked the river trail back to the river, with the idea of finding the Essex outlet. This was about 25 years ago, my dog was still a puppy, and she decided to skedaddle as soon as I found a rock for lunch back at the river. I headed back to the truck and she greeted me about 100 yards from the road. This was one of her last hikes, after that if I hoped to fish, she stayed home! I'd likely be trying the lake but my wife has decided that roughing it is no HBO on the motel TV!
Old 09-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #27
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I see, Tigers that must come downstream from Lake Durant. Do you like Rock because it is convenient to the road? Do you limit your stays to three nights or do you contact the ranger for a permit?

I only viewed the Lake through the trees as I walked the river trail back to the river, with the idea of finding the Essex outlet. This was about 25 years ago, my dog was still a puppy, and she decided to skedaddle as soon as I found a rock for lunch back at the river. I headed back to the truck and she greeted me about 100 yards from the road. This was one of her last hikes, after that if I hoped to fish, she stayed home! I'd likely be trying the lake but my wife has decided that roughing it is no HBO on the motel TV!
I was there this past Tue, Wed, Thu. I prefer to be much farther in, but this was another recon trip.
I went there to try, yet again, to paddle the Rock River as far as the Chain Drain. I've paddled through the Eseex Chain Lakes, down the Chain Drain, down the Rock to the Cedar River near to Pine Lake.
I've imagined a through trip from Rock Lake to the Chain Lakes. Last piece of the puzzle is that stretch between the confluence with Dun Brook and the Chain Drain.

That particular mode of access used to be the only legal way to get to First Lake, unless you were a member or guest of the Gooley Club.
I keep thinking I could have a split group, starting from each end, meet up in the middle, swap keys, and simplify the car shuttle.
Someday, maybe...

Mr. webby,
As I was going in, there was a group signed in at the register, it looked from the dates that they would be leaving when I was heading in. When I was launching on John Mack Brook, I thought I heard voices (I can never be sure if they're real) coming from the nearby campsite. I didn't see anyone, though.
And I did see a couple dudes fishing that evening, but I had the lake to myself the rest of the time.

There was some road noise, but I was only a crow fly mile from the road. And the lake water was slowing my water filter down rapidly. Didn't taste all that great either. I switched to filtering the brook water, much better. I wonder if the lake never gets a good rinse, with the inlet and outlet bunched together, as it is.