Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2018, 01:04 AM   #1
blueosprey90

Older Death on Gothics

Good grief, it says that I was last on these forums on August 19, 2010!

In any event, on Tuesday, I'm making a guest appearance in the mountains and hauling my 70 year old carcass up the cable route to Gothics. We had overcome the torrent in Ore Brook Slide (new to me) and now faced the 300 foot vertical slab. One by one, hand over hand, we struggled to haul ourselves and the dogs up by the cables buffeted by the strong wind. But now we had another hundred feet to climb – still some smooth, vertical slab with no cable to grab, no handhold, no foothold. There was no going down. I move left and managed to find a small toe hold, grab a small vein in the stone and haul myself up to where I could grab a small boulder. I reached down and pulled my granddaughter up and threw her down under the stone wondering why we were doing this without being roped together. She says “Someone died here.” “What do you mean?” “Someone died here”, she insists, and pointed to a very small commemorative plaque ankle high on the side of the rock. I can only glance at it. February 2004 or maybe 2006 is all I take. Sorry lad, no time to say a prayer or reflect on your life, as I fear we are in mortal danger ourselves and need to find a way off this face.

Figure I should maybe do that now. Does anyone have information on who this person was and his or her circumstances at about 4,600 feet? Thanks.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
gebbyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
Good grief, it says that I was last on these forums on August 19, 2010!

Does anyone have information on who this person was and his or her circumstances at about 4,600 feet? Thanks.
There was a hiker who died approaching his 46th peak a few years back and I think it was Gothics. I meant to check at the Mercy of the Mountains before I left for work. I'll check and see if that story is in there when I get home.
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
blueosprey90

I would appreciate it. Thank you.

I'm almost positive it said February, not sure of the year.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
cuterocky
Kalie

I have At the Mercy of the Mountains as an ebook and just took a quick glance. I didn't see anything that would match. The most recent event in the book is December 2004 so it's possible it may have happened after the book was written
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
gebbyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterocky View Post
I have At the Mercy of the Mountains as an ebook and just took a quick glance. I didn't see anything that would match. The most recent event in the book is December 2004 so it's possible it may have happened after the book was written

Thanks for looking. Must be discussed in Heaven Up-H'istedness, the 46ers history book. I'll check it tonight.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
tgoodwin

The "almost 46-R" died at the base of the Saddleback scramble. The death on Gothics was a winter climber who died of a heart attack.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
gebbyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
The "almost 46-R" died at the base of the Saddleback scramble. The death on Gothics was a winter climber who died of a heart attack.
Thanks Tony!
Old 08-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
blueosprey90

Any information beyond that?

I admit that I've never felt more at risk in the woods than on that slab - perhaps because we had two panicky kids and two panicky dogs.