Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
adirondackcamper

Discover The Adk's Guide book series?

I'm gearing up for a high peaks adventure in mid September to start the 46.
I've went ahead and purchased this map.

https://www.adk.org/product/trails-o...igh-peaks-map/

But I would also like to buy a guide book for the region. I've heard wonderful things about the Discover series, but it seems this book is not available.

http://www.hiketheadirondacks.com/pa...ack_High_Peaks

Does anyone know where I could possibly find one? Or perhaps suggest an alternative?

thanks guys
Steve
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Wldrns

Try directly contacting local book outlets in the Adirondacks.
To name a few:
Moutainmanoutdoors in Old Forge and Saratoga.
The Old Forge Hardware store.
The Adirondack Reader in Inlet.
The Mountaineer in Keene Valley.
Hoss's in Long Lake.
The Blue Line in Saranac Lake.
EMS in Lake Placid and Saratoga.

Probably numerous others as well, check around.

Bill Ingersoll lets current guide book editions sell out before publishing updated versions. He's a little slow on this one, its a long process.

Last edited by Wldrns; 08-29-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
Hoser

Dont beat yourself up chasing the Discover book for the High Peaks. I have a copy of the latest addition and it is dated. The ADK guide, this forum (actually it's sister the ADKsHighPeaks forum), and a couple of different web blogs (not Facebook sites) were my essential guides to completing the 46 over the last few years. The Discover book did not always have up to date information and/or changes.

ADK map is good but in meters so I also used the Nat Geo map as I carry an altimeter and want to be able to know exactly where I am on the trail, comparing to the map, without dividing/multiplying by appox 3.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
gebbyfish

I carry the ADK map and the NatGeo map. I'm sure you can get that Discover the High Peaks at the HPIC or at an outdoor's store. I like the ADK guidebook. As has been previously suggested, I learned a lot from several blogs, specifically: 46upsanddowns and outonadventure. The photos shared and distances and clock times, especially the latter blog, helped me to predict my times for similar hikes, once I built up a history of how I do out there and I could compare myself to the two bloggers.
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

As several fellow Adkforum members do, I occasionally hike & camp with Bill Ingersoll, and have been on several trips with his Adirondack Wilderness Explorers Group. He has in fact been updating a newer edition for the High Peaks region for a few years now (I helped with portions of the southern Dix Wilderness ). I think the delay in its release is a combination of things... 1 -Waiting for final Unit Management Plans on a few of the newer state land acquisitions. 2 -He has been pretty busy with the AWA (which he co-founded last year), and the fact that he is also in the process of updating a newer edition of Barbara McMartin’s “50 Hikes in Adirondacks”, which I think is due out sometime within in the next few months or so. I also recently saw on facebook that Bill just completed a 48 mile loop through the western High Peaks region which incorporated some of the existing roads & trails through lands that were formaly off limits to the public. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Justin; 08-29-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
adirondackcamper

thank you i'll check those stores out
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

I have an ‘04 edition that I could send you free of charge if you’d like. Please feel free to send me a PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
MTVhike

I like the descriptions and am looking forward to the updated edition.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote