Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

Did Cascade & Porter, now what?

Thinking about hiking Big Slide Saturday 15 September. We're aspiring 46ers and did Cascade / Porter last weekend. I understand parking can be awkward from the "Garden Parking Lot". Apparently if it's full there's a shuttle.
a) Can anyone estimate what time it might get full on a mid-September Saturday?
b) If it is full does the shuttle from Marcy Field run at this time of year?
c) Alternatively if it's full is there another trailhead nearby to some other 46er hike we could do?

Maybe a better plan would be to leave this one to later in the year when parking's easier, and if so what else could we do this Saturday? There's Street & Nye but the weather's looking promising for Saturday (which might bring out more crowds) so I was hoping to do a hike with good views.

Could also head up towards Wright, Algonquin & Iroquois. We're new to this so we could just do one of the peaks if it gets too tiring.
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Hear the Footsteps

For a Saturday
The Garden on a Saturday I'd target earlier than 6 am. The Shuttle should be running. It's 7am to 7pm. More than enough time to climb Big Slide.

The Loj parking 7:30 or possibly earlier if you want to park in the lot. But there you have the option =>1 mile from the South Meadows Road.
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Eddie Fournier

According to the parking attendant, the Garden parking was full at 6:30am yesterday (a Saturday). A lot of people get there on Fridays for overnight hiking so the cars tend to stay there over the weekend.

I was there at 7:30 so I parked at the well-indicated Marcy airfield; there were only a few cars. Shuttle service was great but I happened to barely miss it in both directions, which adds to 15-20 minutes to the expedition. When I left at 3pm there was still plenty of parking there (but still none at the Garden).
Eddie Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:04 AM   #4
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

Thanks Eddie, and thanks for your trip report on another thread. We were in the valley the same day around 08:00 and got the fourth last spot at the so-called St. Hubert parking area. Answering my original question, we set out to do Gothics & Armstrong clockwise from the end of Lake Road. At the fork to Gothics we let someone convince we ought to tack on Sawtooths, which we did.

Nice clear weather for good views. Unfortunately we couldn't stop at the summits because of the swarms of midges, or some kind of no-see-ums.
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Spork View Post
We were in the valley the same day around 08:00 and got the fourth last spot at the so-called St. Hubert parking area.
We parked at St Huberts too on Saturday and got back after dark.

Driving out, I noticed several cars parked in No Parking spots along the road. Curious you happened to notice if there were any Parking Tickets issued?
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #6
MTVhike

Many people often park along 73 near the parking areas and, as far as I know, there are no "no parking" signs - maybe new ones have been put up. Again, as far as I know, if there aren't any "no parking" signs, you may park along the highway, as long as you're fully off the road (beyond the white line). Just don't block any driveways.
On another note, does the Marcy Field parking area ever fill up?
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote