Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
spidennis

Moose River . How long? How far?

I want to plan on a Moose River trip. Tickner's has some kind of train shuttle? What are other longer trips? How long from Big Moose Lake? for someone that paddles fast, like training for the 90 miler speed?

spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

It's not much of a trip, more a short day paddle.

You can't really start at Big Moose Lake because you pass through some private waters. I don't believe you can actually navigate the river between Big Moose and Dart Lake, and that would be the issue, legally.

You can start on Rondaxe lake, I think... but I'm not sure there's a public launch. Most start right at the outlet of Rondaxe or off of North Street. The shuttles will drop you either place if you like. It's obviously longer from Rondaxe, but maybe 2 hours tops. It's about 2 hours from North St to Old Forge and there's one short carry around a falls.

After Thendara I think it starts turning into real whitewater. I've never been on that section, but after that it gets really bony in sections - you can see if from the road.

So anyway, I'm not sure there's much other than those two short trips.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Lucky13

There is the South Branch trip which travels through the Adirondack League Club Lands. I couldn't find any details on the web, but you sign in for the trip at either the Limeklin or Cedar River gates for the Moose River Plains, and you could launch at the Otter Brook Road crossing of the Moose, or maybe carry into Rock Dam. Stopping to portage ONLY when crossing the ALC lands, then a fair distance in the Black River Wild Forest to take out at McKeever.

Even if it were legal, I don't think you could get a canoe down from Big Moose Lake to Dart, it is narrow and rocky, trouty looking water, and all private.

Check with Tickner's or Mountain Man Outdoors for shuttles, ASR shuttles (the railroad used to haul canoeists back up from the Falls area above Nelson's Lake) and other questions.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote