Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 12:45 AM   #1
Rpwalsh113

Question Strange noises in Pharaoh Lake Wilderness

Last weekend I was hiking in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness with a buddy of mine.
We were headed back to the car around 9pm when we heard what sounded like 5-6 howler monkeys on the other side of a swamp close to the parking area. The noises went on for about 30 seconds before it went quiet. We then heard something large moving through the swamp grass out of sight from our flash lights. I have been racking my brain as to what it could have been and I thought that it was maybe bears fighting because I have experienced that before and the noise was a little similar. The strangest part of the whole thing was that there were clearly at least five individuals making these howling type noises. We also did not see any cars leaving the area so itís very unlikely it was humans. We are both experienced hikers, hunters, and campers and have been recreating in the Adirondacks for years and have never heard anything like this before. Iím sure there is a logical explanation as to what we heard that night and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience while in that area or in another area in the park.
Rpwalsh113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:08 AM   #2
JohnnyVirgil

The barred owls around my house have been crazy active lately. They have one call that sounds like a crazed chimpanzee.
JohnnyVirgil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Tick Magnet

Here's a link to barred owl calls.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barred_Owl/sounds

Check out the last few seconds of the video and the "duet" call. I'm not sure about the thrashing in the swamp, but your description is spot on for barred owls "talking" to each other.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
Blackflie

Unhappy

Itís been a logos breeding season and we maybe seeing some territorial competition going on
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3FDD9070-AA85-4906-A808-72E940013E5A.jpeg (137.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpeg 33B2FCBF-2BAB-48A2-96C2-E5453FE30493.jpeg (82.0 KB, 179 views)
Old 10-01-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
wiiawiwb

Barred owls caterwauling sound just like monkeys.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Pauly D.

+1 on the Barred Owl. I camped under a tree that they occupied once in the PLWA. It made for an awesome chorus at night.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Or it could have been Bigfoot mimicking the sounds of the owl. Owls don't make lots of noise when they hop around on the forest floor.

"We then heard something large moving through the swamp grass out of sight from our flash lights."
Old 10-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Lucky13

You really need to stop picking those little orange mushrooms!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
You really need to stop picking those little orange mushrooms!
I wonder why they call you Lucky?

I am just repeating what other "experts" have said.

I stick to ramps, ginseng, and morels. Orange fungus is deadly.

When is it going to rain?
Old 10-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #10
Lucky13

Has rained every day for three in WNY, and tomorrow we're supposed to get a real soaker.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
Banjoe

My one time of breaking the rule about sleeping in a car at a trail head happened in PLWA. I'd parked at the end of the maintained section of Pharaoh Rd. after dark and walked almost to the parking area when something met its demise. I knew it was only a rabbit or some other furry creature, probably killed by an owl or fox, but the shrieking and screaming, added to the late hour, sent me back to my car and into my sleeping bag for the night.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #12
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoe View Post
My one time of breaking the rule about sleeping in a car at a trail head happened in PLWA. I'd parked at the end of the maintained section of Pharaoh Rd. after dark and walked almost to the parking area when something met its demise. I knew it was only a rabbit or some other furry creature, probably killed by an owl or fox, but the shrieking and screaming, added to the late hour, sent me back to my car and into my sleeping bag for the night.
Forest, darkness, alone, imagination. Lots of night sounds. Who needs Halloween?

Personally I like sleeping on a cot under the stars in the MSRP when the black and deer flies are gone. Yes, I am alone except for Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. Often see moose and bear tracks in daylight. I'm sure critters pick up my scent but are probably spooked when they hear the roaring of snoring.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #13
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I agree with the other posters- it was likely barred owls. They are quite common in the Pharaoh Lake region. I've heard (and even seen) them frequently throughout that area. They're also one of the few species of owl that will commonly form social groups.

I once watched a barred owl catch a fish on Crab Pond in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness (the northern Crab Pond; there's 2 of them in that area). I never knew before then that owls did that.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote