Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Pathfinder

What?

Anyone else seen this?

Seems like it would be pretty easy to discover the perpetrators of this.

http://www.protectadks.org/2014/09/a...-private-camp/

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Rusty and the Maniac

That's a pretty sweet leanto.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
WBB

The existence of this lean to is well know. As the article points out it was built by a private group with DEC approval. I was in the area one time during deer season (late November) and stayed at the other lean to. All day they had small motor boats running up and down the pond to break ice so that a float plane could repeatedly land with supplies and to ferry people in and out. We never got close enough see the lean to itself. From all accounts it is quite something to behold as the photos in the article illustrates. The problem seems to be that the original group is now all gone but some how the right of exclusive use has lived on.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

From what I understand, this type of use of Forest Preserve land was not only once permissible, but actually quite common. It would seem that this is the last hold out of a previous era.

You would think that the group responsible for this would partake in more subtle use of their "exclusive use" rights (assuming they actually still have them), so as not to ruffle the feathers of groups like Protect!.

At least the site looks clean. The tree cutting is inexcusable, though.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
From what I understand, this type of use of Forest Preserve land was not only once permissible, but actually quite common. It would seem that this is the last hold out of a previous era.

You would think that the group responsible for this would partake in more subtle use of their "exclusive use" rights (assuming they actually still have them), so as not to ruffle the feathers of groups like Protect!.

At least the site looks clean. The tree cutting is inexcusable, though.
I didn't such a history was true. Kind of a curious concept actually.

And yes its a shame about the tree cutting and yes.... at least it not trashed and ugly.

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

There was a time when anyone could apply for a permit to construct a camp on State Land. Typically, they were tent platforms for large canvas tents. Some of them got pretty fancy, and many were essentially private summer homes (people bent the rules as much as possible, blurring the line between "tent" and "cabin" wherever they could).

I found a website once that detailed the history of the permit camps on Upper Saranac Lake, including pictures. I tried to find it again, but to no avail.

Eventually, the state decided to no longer allow the permit camps. I believe that, rather than remove all of them immediately, they were allowed to remain until the death of the permit holder.

Pennsylvania went through a similar situation, except that they allowed for the construction of permanent cabins on state land. After an explosion in cabin construction in a very short period of time, they stopped issuing permits. I don't think there are any plans to phase out the cabins that were already constructed on PA state land, however, so they all still exist and are regularly used.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

My curiosity is piqued. What prevents anyone else from using this lean-to? Are there No Trespassing Signs? If so, how can that be? Is there any way to check the permit to see who was issued to? Should be a matter of public record since it is on public land.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
St.Regis

Maybe the Forum should have a gathering there.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Here's a thread from last year about this lean-to:

http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t...highlight=chub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
"John has a long mustache"
Is that from Red Dawn?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
PaPaZeus

I spent a wonderfull night in this lean to last spring. We made full use of the shelving tables and chairs. Cleaned out the fire pit using the wheelbarrow and tools.

We put everything back where we found it. It was a great first adirondack experiance.

And the tree cutting seems to have been done many years ago.. The frequenters of this site also cleared some of trail that connects to stone dam lake. As a good portion of it is lost in a beaver pond due to daming.

Everything seemed very clean and well kept while I was there. And we mad eit a point to leave it nicer than we found it.

I can understand the issues with the misuse of the area. But considering this is a unique lean to lef tover from an old way of doing things.. I see nothign wrong with leaving it as is.

Sure maybe remove the tools and stoves.. But I see no reason to burn the shelving and furniture. That seems way too Farenheight 451. There is enough conformity and imposed rules in the world " for the benefit of everyone".

I see no harm in leaving this one lean to remain. However it should also be free use all year if said hunting permits are no longer allowed. If that way of conduct int he state lands is over then noone should have special claim to it. UNless it was speciffically purchased or written into contract.
PaPaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #11
Otis

My question is, what legal right currently exists that would allow someone from preventing anyone else from using this shelter?
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
ADK123

The story continues to unfold:

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...5617c-24955309
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Glen
Check please

When it comes to enforcement of most rules, DEC gets an F.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote