Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: do you carry a firearm when in the wilds?
yes, I always carry a firearm 53 23.66%
no, I never carry a firearm 97 43.30%
sometimes I carry a firearm 47 20.98%
I have thought about carrying a firearm 27 12.05%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #121
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieC View Post
Do tell your story about your experiences of scared little "gunsels" then, I for one would like to hear all about them...!

Funny thing, wherever I have my firearm handy, I'm not much afraid of anything. But then I'm not much afraid without them either. But if I happen to have them or not, is something I never tell .

There's not a thing in the woods to be afraid of. Other than some guy with a gun.

So you want a little gunsel story? Gunsel = little man with a big gun. I will PM you.

Last edited by Gman; 10-08-2014 at 02:28 AM..
Old 10-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #122
wiiawiwb

Gman - According to you, encountering someone with a gun is the only thing to be afraid of. Therefore, doesn't it makes sense that to level the odds in the event of such encounter one would also want to carry a gun?
Old 10-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #123
Gman

I am not afraid of confronting a guy with a gun. Ask Ritchie. But I am afaid of a nervous guy with a gun and a quick finger. Carrying a gun would not make me safe from him.I don't have numbers but I bet far more gun incidents in the woods are this variety rather than someone actually pulling a gun on you in the woods. What are they going to do rob you? Why, who carries a wad of cash hiking? Even if I had a gun I'd probably give it to them anyway. Not worth losing a life over.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #124
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

The overall cause of shootings in he woods, many fatal, is accidental shooting by a hunter, most often the victim is another armed hunter in their party. So statistically one could point out that an unarmed person is much safer in the woods then an armed one.

My biggest fear and the reason I don't like to see people recommending carrying a firearm in he woods? Most dangerous thing I can think of is someone who is afraid and inexperienced carrying a firearm. Picture it's late at night and a hiker is approaching a lean to. How often are sounds mistakenly attributed to something else like a bear?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 10-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #125
x_600_x

Ever see the movie Deliverance?? Could you REALLY level a gun at another human being and pull the trigger?? (bow used in the movie) Could you deal with the fallout, the emotions, the court proceedings? The very good chance that your word would be the only word heard? Would you know when to choose that moment when it was you or him?? Could you REALLY do this, being 100% certain your life was on the line and you had no other choice?? .....Could you??
Old 10-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #126
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_600_x View Post
Ever see the movie Deliverance?? Could you REALLY level a gun at another human being and pull the trigger?? (bow used in the movie) Could you deal with the fallout, the emotions, the court proceedings? The very good chance that your word would be the only word heard? Would you know when to choose that moment when it was you or him?? Could you REALLY do this, being 100% certain your life was on the line and you had no other choice?? .....Could you??
Spot on!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #127
Troy64

do you carry a firearm when hiking

Could you really not do it knowing your life, and possibly other lives, was at risk?

I am glad the guy in Ottawa could. He stopped a madman and saved many lives.

In the end it a personal choice, and other opinions do not count. However, if you do carry you must know the law, your target and what is behind your target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #128
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy64 View Post
Could you really not do it knowing your life, and possibly other lives, was at risk?

In the end it a personal choice, and other opinions do not count. However, if you do carry you must know the law, your target and what is behind your target.

The guy in Ottawa was an RCMP officer for 27 years and was doing his job. Not some average Joe out for a walk with the Glock.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #129
x_600_x

Quote:

Seriously Troy? Lets draw a not so fine line between line of duty and leisure time here. You get the idea
Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #130
Troy64

do you carry a firearm when hiking

I have no problem with people being pacifists. If that is your choice then so be it.

I carry because I choose to, and I am legally allowed to do so.

If a person is safe and knows how to properly handle a firearm, then I have no problem with that. Most people probably do not, but some do. Those that do are no threat to good guys.

I am still glad a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun in Ottawa. Bad things can happen during leisure time. So yes, I am quite serious.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #131
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

That's not exactly a line of duty shooting - he was the Seargent at arms for the parliament and expected to be carrying the ceremonial mace into the opening session not gunning down an islamic terrorist outside his office.

This is a choice issue, I support the right to choose in many hot-button rights issues including this one albeit under the auspices of reasonable regulation.

I never carry a firearm unless I'm hunting or planning on shooting but that doesn't mean I should apply my beliefs on someone else's rights. I wouldn't do it for women's health issues or marriage equality, why do we feel so free (or obligated) to do it here and seemingly from the side that supports choice as it pertains to alleged constitutional rights.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #132
Gman

It's more than just a ceremonial position. He is in charge of security for the House of Commons. His position is described as being similar to a police chief. If a threat came from within the building the House Police would be the first responders. The RCMP police the grounds outside.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #133
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
It's more than just a ceremonial position. He is in charge of security for the House of Commons. His position is described as being similar to a police chief. If a threat came from within the building the House Police would be the first responders. The RCMP police the grounds outside.
I do not dispute the fact that this hero was trained to use his firearm more extensively than 99.99% of the people out there.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #134
JERSEYJOHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_600_x View Post
ever see the movie deliverance?? Could you really level a gun at another human being and pull the trigger?? (bow used in the movie) could you deal with the fallout, the emotions, the court proceedings? The very good chance that your word would be the only word heard? Would you know when to choose that moment when it was you or him?? Could you really do this, being 100% certain your life was on the line and you had no other choice?? .....could you??
at least i would have the option. How would you feel if the bad guy had the gun and you didn't. Prepare for the worst hope for the best.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #135
x_600_x

If the day comes where I feel the need to carry a gun in the solitude of the ADK's I may as well schedule my vacations to East St Louis or Chicago......You guys can wrestle with this one from here on out
Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #136
Tiredlegs

Quote:
I have no problem with people being pacifists. If that is your choice then so be it.

If a person is safe and knows how to properly handle a firearm, then I have no problem with that. Most people probably do not, but some do. Those that do are no threat to good guys.

I am still glad a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun in Ottawa. Bad things can happen during leisure time. So yes, I am quite serious.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #137
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEYJOHN View Post
at least i would have the option. How would you feel if the bad guy had the gun and you didn't. Prepare for the worst hope for the best.
Except that leaves no room for anyone to back down, making it far more likely that someone will get hurt. Thankfully it's rare that someone uses a gun on someone unarmed.

With that I'm out of this thread.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #138
streamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Except that leaves no room for anyone to back down, making it far more likely that someone will get hurt. Thankfully it's rare that someone uses a gun on someone unarmed.

With that I'm out of this thread.

There's just so much wrong with this..
Old 10-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #139
Gman

Quote:

NOT carrying a gun does not make someone a pacifist.

You suggest we accept your word that you are properly trained how to handle that gun. Sorry dude but you don't elicit that kind of confidence.

And I am certain the guy in Ottawa would be angry you and so many gun carrying advocates are using him as an example.

Last edited by Gman; 10-25-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Old 10-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #140
backwoodsman

Guns are just one way humans kill each other, what are we gonna do about the other hundred thousand ways.
Closed Thread