Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Five Ponds Adventure 2009

Met Kayakrski in Wanakena at 8am. Weather was misty, but forecast called for a nice weekend, possible showers on Sunday. We began hiking and getting acquainted with each other. After about 2 miles on the HFL we came to where I had tagged the TH Leary Trail on my GPS. Good guess, tagged it perfectly from the old maps. Gregg had inquired from the Ranger about the Leary trail in our plans. The Rangers report was spot on. {paragraph removed to allow you to experience it for yourself} We took a compass bearing and bushwhacked through, over, under, around, etc... to end up at the High Falls Loop 300ft from where we expected. Not bad considering we knew we were "bending west" due to the swamp. Ironically, at the end of the trip I looked at the old map and it shows a faint dotted line marking a path exactly where we traveled to avoid that swamp. Eerie to say the least.

We crossed a beaver dam to get to the Five Ponds Trail and we followed it to Big Shallow where we ate lunch. By then, the weather had begun to clear and the sky was looking blue. We saddled up and headed to Sand lake. After stopped numerous times to enjoy the views and other treats along the way, we arrived at Sand Lake; tired and hungry. We had traveresed a little over 12 miles, some of which was through the thickest blowdown and new growth i have ever experienced.

The sun was out and we enjoyed the chance to dry ourselves out and warm up. We made camp and collected wood; plenty to be found. Some nice treasures from the old days were found rusting in the near vicinity. A nice fire and stars emerging eventually gave way to my heavy eyelids. I ventured to my hammock while Gregg stayed up a bit longer. I slept soundly until the pitter pat of rain awoke me. A slight rain, but I was warm and dry. I was again fast asleep and awoke with the rising sun. I tried to stay quiet as I made a new fire to remove the morning chill. Gregg soon awoke from his slumber and we both warmed up and ate breakfast. We were on the trail sometime after 9.

On the way to High Falls we encountered the wet section. This was the wettest I had ever seen it. At one point I realized that any effort to stay reasonably dry would be futile so I just high stepped it through hoping my gaiters, boots and fast feet would keep my socks relatively dry. the splashing soaked my pants but in the end it seemed worth it. Soon after, we saw the first people on the trail; a couple of guys and a dog heading out. We warned them of the upcoming wetness.

We arrived at high falls and were the only people there. Strange considering last year at this time it was packed. A quick bite, and relaxing rest on the rocks we headed out. We saw a few more people on the way to Cowhorn, most were on their way back from Cat Mt. One group I noticed a small tree sticking out of his daypack. Thoughts of one of the Karate kid films entered my mind; the one when he went to get that bonsai tree from the cliff. Those thoughts gave way to just how wrong it was for him to be taking a tree, even such a small one. Trail was mushy on the way toward the cat Mt turn. many people=lots of mud. After the junction, the trail was much drier and not well marked. I always end up getting off the trail in this section in the winter since there is nothing to follow. This time of year it was easy to see the foot tread. The trail to Bassout was very obvious this time of year as well; I made a metal note of its location for a future exploration.

Gregg stopped for water and I continued to cowhorn Junction to wait. At the Jnct, I could see the beginning of the old trail to nicks, it disappeared within a few feet. Another future exploration. At Cowhorn junction it began to snow! It really started coming down as we hiked the esker skirting Cowhorn Pond. At cowhorn we decided to both sleep in the shelter and we collected wood. A business card for Hawks Vittles was tucked nicely among the hanging pots/pans in the shelter.

Lots of dead dry hardwood would make for a nice hot bed of coals. I built the base fire and Gregg tended it. We eventually had a nice rager going. After dinner, I soon went to sleep. I awoke at one point feeling very toasty warm. the next time I awoke, I could feel a chill. The reason became apparent in the AM when the frost was visible. The temp had dropped below freezing; my water bottle had ice. After a quick bite for breakfast and a nice warmup from the new fire we headed out a little before 9am.

A quiet and quick pace, my guess is we were both tired. We ran into a family on the way in who directed us around the newly placed logs since they were floating! Back at the car at 11:30 where we met Mark L (from the forum) he remembered me from last years CL-50 hike. What a coincidence. Sat 12.2mi, Sun 15.1mi, Mon 7.5mi. Total miles: 34.8.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Last edited by DuctTape; 10-12-2009 at 09:54 PM..
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
kayakrski

Great TR, Russ. Between this and the pictures you e-mailed, I'd say you're doing better than I am. I really started tightening up on the ride home and right now I'm hardly walking and barely awake but loving life.

Thanks again for the invite too. I had a great time exploring an area that I don't know that well. You've inspired me to attempt the CL-50 next year. I cant wait!

Gregg
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Nice trip report! And you even had decent weather! We almost headed up to Cowhorn to visit, but other responsibilties....Was the new/old trail to Lows opened up yet when you went past the Junction?

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I wondered if you and Ann might show up.

I did notice the trail was begun at the junction, it didn't appear to go very far. They might have avoided clearing a small part to wait for it to be complete. I didn't get a chance to look very much. Next time.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
MarkL
Self-challenged

Nice report. Good to see you again, Duct Tape. Kayakrski, are you one of the Colvin Crew?
I don't know how obvious it is, but Cowhorn Jct. is now a true junction again. The APA and DEC gave their official blessings to having volunteers open and maintain the ~2 mile trail from there to Big Deer Pond. The canoe carry trail from Low's to the upper Oswegatchie passed by BDP. Anyway, it's been cleared, but because it hasn't been officially looked at and no markers are up, maybe the last few yards north to Cowhorn Jct. haven't been opened up.
When I met you at your car, you were only 100 yards from completing the loop at the register. So I signed you out and you get full credit.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
I don't know how obvious it is, but Cowhorn Jct. is now a true junction again. The APA and DEC gave their official blessings to having volunteers open and maintain the ~2 mile trail from there to Big Deer Pond.
Yeah, I know.... and for me it's a bummer. I liked the area much better when it was trailless (actually the trail was still there, but no one much bothered climbing over the blowdown to stay on it). Can't help but feel a bit of the wilder remote wilderness provided by the microburst has now been lost.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Cool report Russ!
Sorry I missed out!
...Next time!
No pics?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
kayakrski

MarkL,

I am a member of the Colvin Crew. My first trip was about a month ago and it was a blast. I'm looking forward to many more. Are you a member as well?

Gregg
Old 10-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
MarkL
Self-challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Yeah, I know.... and for me it's a bummer. I liked the area much better when it was trailless (actually the trail was still there, but no one much bothered climbing over the blowdown to stay on it). Can't help but feel a bit of the wilder remote wilderness provided by the microburst has now been lost.
I know what you mean. I "followed" that trail 3 or 4 times post-microburst and pre-clearing. Nice sense of adventure. Even hitting the canoe carry trail was part of it. That carry is a trail that meets no other trails, has no hiker's trailhead, and is/was just sort of suspended in the middle of the wilderness between a remote lake and an even more remote river.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
MarkL
Self-challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakrski View Post
MarkL,

I am a member of the Colvin Crew. My first trip was about a month ago and it was a blast. I'm looking forward to many more. Are you a member as well?

Gregg
Gregg,
I'm not a member, but I knew Kerm Remele, and heard about it from him. He and my father were friends.

I'm heading for Algonquin Provincial park in less than 2 hours for 4 days of canoeing..and chilly nights! Signing off.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Nice TR and outting Russ... Id love to see your route, can you email that to me..and did i miss the pics?? otherwise sound like your having a great yr pal...

Rob
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
five ponds wilderness