Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
Paleofreak

Leary Trail

I'm planning on heading up to the Five Ponds this weekend to backpack a modified version of the High Falls Loop. Its been over a year and I've been missing my beloved 5 Ponds.

I was wondering how clear and well marked the Leary Trail was? I was planning on hiking it in the evening, but I don't want to loose the trail and loose daylight on the first day of the trip.

If it were just me I would have no qualms with taking the longer hike on the truck trail, or just finding out the trail condition as the light is fading; but I'm bringing my sister along on this hike for her first backpacking tip.

If it is well marked I will go for it, if not course adjustments can still be made. Thanks for the help.
Paleofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Last time I was there it was ok to follow. VERY different from the truck trail. The ends however were not. The northern terminus was obstructed to hide it from the passing hiker on the truck trail and the southern 1/4 mile was non-existent. I have heard that it has been cleared up a bit but this is not an official trail anymore (IIRC) and thus markings will be inconsistent. It would probably be faster to stay on the truck trail as it will be more "highway speed". I would hesitate to recommend the leary trail it to someone in the waning hours of the day unless they are comfortable with off trail navigation. Another difficulty to be aware is this area has significant magnetite ore which will cause anomalies with compass readings.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
adkh20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleofreak View Post
I'm planning on heading up to the Five Ponds this weekend to backpack a modified version of the High Falls Loop.

I was wondering how clear and well marked the Leary Trail was?
Lots of info on the Leary Trail in this thread:
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=18363
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Paleofreak

I appreciate the advice, an in accordance with my normal policy, I will ignore it with all due respect.

I've hiked the truck trail at least 4 times and the Leary trail seems more like a proper adventure. I was really hoping to hike it a year ago but with the snow (which was totally foreseeable) my plans changed, and I've been looking to hike it ever since.
Paleofreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
five ponds wilderness