Photos of the week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of the week

The most enjoyable "photos of the week" thread seems to have disappeared. If I may, I would like to start a new one with this seasonal greeting. It's not exactly this week, but close enough.

Bruce, beautiful...

Here's Wolf Pond (not quite suitable for paddling!)

Comment

Yea! This thread is resurrected!

12/20/14. Summit of Armstrong.
      Attached Files

Comment

Taken today at Tinker Falls, Labrador Hollow Unique Area, NY:

Comment

Nice! Just whereabouts is this place?

Comment

I had just recently read about Tinker Falls or seen another picture of it somewhere and now I definitely need to go check it out. That looks awesome!
            CL50 #506
            ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...

Comment

Tinker Falls is in Labrador Hollow Unique Area, which is near Tully, NY, about 25 minutes south of Syracuse. The falls are very close to the road- a five minute walk at a slow pace. If you go in winter, bring crampons as you'll need them to get up behind the falls. Also watch out for ice climbers, who frequent the falls in winter.

There's also some other nice hiking in the area- the trail through the bog at Labrador Pond is interesting, and there are nice views from the hang glider launching spot atop Jones Hill, 700 feet above the valley. Labrador Hollow is a narrow north-south valley that gets limited sunlight, and as a result, has an Adirondack bog ecosystem that you normally wouldn't expect to find so far south and at such low elevations.

More info:

Labrador Hollow Unique Area was acquired with funds provided by the Environmental Quality Bond Act of 1972 as a means to protect areas of great natural beauty, wilderness, and/or historical, geological or ecological significance.

The 1483 acre Labrador Hollow Unique Area is located between the towns of Tully, Apulia, and Truxton on the borders of Onondaga and Cortland County. It is a scenic area well known for its hiking trails, scenic pond and fishing. Labrador Hollow is truly a phenomenally unique area; from a magnificent waterfall, to a beautiful boardwalk nature trail, to a picturesque pond and to an spectacular vista on Jones Hill.

Comment

Thanks! I know where Tully is, but now I can put the falls on my to-do list.

Comment

Confluence of East Branch and Main Branch of Sacandaga River from Rt 8 bridge, 28 Feb 15
                  Attached Files
                  Tick Magnet

Comment

BSA "Voyageurs" in parade at the Saranac Lake Winter Carnival. The parade theme was "the groovy 60's", no century specified. We chose the 1760's. Our float took second place!
                    Attached Files
                    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Camels Hump and Green Lake, Shaker Mt Wild Forest, 24 Mar 15
                      Attached Files
                      Tick Magnet

Comment

Along the Cedar...

Comment

Originally posted by strpperguy View Post
                          At least we all came out fairly intact, with only one dunking (in 38 F water!!), one split forehead (canoe-forehead collision)
                          Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
                          Was this the dunking?

Comment

Ha ha, no, but it looks like it should end badly, doesn't it!?
                            Josh was climbing back into the boat and caught his boot sole on the inwale. After a brief struggle, rather than take the boat and his paddling partner with him (not me), he did a Johnny Mosley "dinner roll" into the upstream side of a beaver dam. The water was only barely knee deep, but he managed to get soaked from head to toe!

In the photo above, my nephew and his girlfriend are bouncing off a big boulder, they took on a few gallons over the gunnels...I didn't actually see how close they were to swamping, I was too busy taking photos of everyone and missed the action.

Comment

Pink Lady Slipper, Wilcox Lake Wild Forest, 18 May, 2015
                              Attached Files
                              Tick Magnet

Comment

Working...
                              X