Northville-Placid trail experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northville-Placid trail experiences

hello all. my friend and i are planning a thru-hike of the Northville-Placid trail in the summer of 05'. i wanted to know everybody's experiences that have hiked the trail, either thru or parts. these can be anywhere from problems encountered, victories, things learned, things not to do the next time, inspiration and/or anything else you could possibly think of that might be important for a first timer to learn before taking on the trail. i'm really looking foward to reading your replies so please dont be shy !!

My son and I did this trip (Upper Benson to Placid) at the end of the summer this year. The few things I would advise are:

1) plan a decent amount of days in which to hike the trail based on your ability - we were in fairly good shape going into the trip and we took 11 days to complete the trip

2) take some type of sandal with you - to get your hiking boots off at the end of the day and also ford the trail where it is underwater between McCanes and Stephens Pond

3) take a few days hikes (10-15 miles) and if possible at least one over-night before you do the trail. It will ensure that your boots are ready.

4) make sure you take enough moleskin and first aid stuff to take care of your feet

5) start planning well in advance of your trip - it will allow you to relax before you start

Just of few observations.

It is a fun trip. We will probably do it again sometime. If you have any specific questions, feel free to leave me a note here and I can get back to you. I had several people be kind enough to answer my questions as I was planning and I would be happy to help someone else.

--NicksMaint
    Tom
    --getting lost is not a waste of time

Comment

I hiked the NPT in September in 10 days. I believe Sacco put up a link to my thread. A few tips I can add:

1.) When I do it again I will take more time. 11-12 days would have made it a lot easier.

2.) Check out Back to the Basics . Dan and Kim are great. They offer a free night of lodging to thru-hikers either the night before or the night after you finish(depending on the direction you are going) and will drive you to the trailhead. Their hospitality is amazing. They cooked dinner and breakfast for me and made me feel right at home. Also when you finish they will add a page to their website with your photos and journal entries.

3.) Try to plan your itinerary so you spend a night at Lake Durant campgroud which the trail passes through. That mid-hike hot shower was great! Its also a good place to have someone meet you for a re-supply.

4.) The sandals are a great idea. I also used mine for the road walk from Wakely Dam to McCanes. they were a lot easier on my feet than my boots would have been on the gravel and pavement.

5.) As you pack analyze every item to see if it is really necessary. When I was resupplied I sent a lot of items home that I thought I had needed...fork, knife, stuff sacks. Its amazing how quickly weight stacks up.

6.) Drink, drink, drink, and don't forget an electolyte replacement

7.) When you're done...get a massage. You'll feel brand new.

Enjoy!! I had a blast and I can't wait to do it again.
      “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

Ditto on comment by frvwld in regards to Lake Durant. We stayed there overnight and actually had my wife meet us to bring us the supplies we needed to finish the trip (along with some clean clothes). Also good comment on the fluids - you have to be drinking all the time.

One thing I forgot to mention that I did before our trip and that was to read whatever notes I could find on-line from people who have done the trip. Links to fvrwld's trip, a site www.avatar12.com both would be good to read (even after you have done the trip). Also I posted a short report of our trip on www.viewsfromthetop.com under this same name (NicksMaint), posted 9-14-2004. Did not put them here because I was not aware of the forum at the time.
        Tom
        --getting lost is not a waste of time

Comment

Last summer I did Long Lake to Placid. Prepare to get really wet after Long Lake. I was up to my chest in water, and had to hold my pack over my head. After Duck Hole it was kind of messy with lots of blow down and questionable bridges. That aside, I went alone and walked for 3 days with out seeing more than one or two people. Its the best trip I have ever taken. For years I have been hiking in the peaks. There is so much beauty on this trail I can't belive I havn't done it sooner.
          "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Natty Bumpo
            Last summer I did Long Lake to Placid. Prepare to get really wet after Long Lake. I was up to my chest in water, and had to hold my pack over my head.
            This spot now has a very well defined herdpath around it.
            “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

val, what do you think about a winter trek from LL to placid?
              Fly Fisher's Anglers Association- a fine drinking club with a fishing problem
              www.GoFlyFish.org

Comment

Better the other way I think Placid to Long Lake. I might be game.
                "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk
                  Better the other way I think Placid to Long Lake. I might be game.

how come?

can't really nail down any dates right now, but it's the last of the NPT for me to do. i was thinking it might be nice to do it when LL is frozen since i've already done from LL village to the top of the lake and that part of the trail isn't that scenic anyway.

the funny thing is, since reading about noah john rondeau back in highschool, it's the part of the trail i've most wanted to do and never have gotten to it.
                  www.GoFlyFish.org

Comment

i was thinking some time in march when there's still snow and the lake is still solid, but the days are a little longer.
                    like to do it on skis

thoughts?
                    www.GoFlyFish.org

Comment

I would love to but March is a very busy month for. Maybe I could do the 1st week in March or the middle of Febuary. Also I don't have skis, I paln on taking a few cross country lessons this year but I doubt I'll own any by then.

FYI...Long Lake is very busy with snowmobile traffic in the winter. Not necessarily a bad thing, you could catch a tow.

Comment

Unless I get skis and some expertise this winter, rule me out as far as skis go. I might showshoe.
                        "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

sacco & socco

Sounds like a new Ben & Jerry's flavor doesn't it?

Comment

i'm gonna take this conversation to a new planning thread.
                            www.GoFlyFish.org

Comment

Working...
                            X