Camping at Pharoah Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping at Pharoah Lake

Hello. I am new to the forum, but been up in the ADKS since I was a little guy (1970's). Our family has a camp in the Lake George area. Around 1980, I was 9 years old and my folks took my brother and I camping at Pharoah Lake. Our Lake George neighbor/close family friend told us of Pharoah at the time.
    What was funny was how protective the locals were. Upon arriving in the area, we were told several times at local spots (general stores etc.) that they didn't know where Pharoah was. I guess I can't blame them for being protective of such a beautiful area, but I do remember it delaying our finding of Pharoah. Lol. Sadly, those days are gone and the internet has now opened a Pandora's box that can never be shut.
    Anyway, being 9 yrs. old, I have only vague remembrances of Pharoah and haven't been back since. My hope is to now camp there with my family, but I don't know what im in for. I do remember a trail that was about 3 miles long with several bridges. We ended up camping in a lean-to on a rock point that was beautiful. The point gradually descended down to the water and I remember water snakes in the area.

If this spot rings a bell for anyone, I'd be very grateful for guidance on how to get there again. My hope is to camp there this summer. Regrettably, I'm thinking this may be a long shot. From reading the forums, this area seems very popular now and my parents were no expert campers. We probably took the shortest/easiest route which sounds like it would be the most populated on a summer weekend. We may have lucked out getting this site because it was 1980 and the area was likely less known.

I have a few questions too:

1) For people who hike/canoe etc., how do you protect your spot from theft etc. while you're gone?

2) My hope is to get a canoe and our gear in by use of a canoe cart. Is this a do-able thing on these trails?

3) With this being a popular area and the hike in being somewhat long, how do campers go about firewood? Is this the cause of the 'damage' noted on the forums? I never want to impact an area, but I can see people getting their firewood from the nearby area.

Thank so much for any help.

-Pike

some info here: http://www.cnyhiking.com/PharaohLakeWilderness.htm

Justin is a great source of information about the area, send him a PM & I'm sure he'll help you out.

You can also do a search on the forum for threads on the area.
    sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Pharaoh is a lovely, but busy spot. Go during the week if you can. It sounds like your family took you in from the south, from the the Beaver Pond Road. If you park at the legal parking lot, it's about 4 miles to Pharaoh. If you have a big 4WD verhicle, you can shave about 1 mile off that distance. However, it's not legal to drive the extra distance, but no one will do anything about it and many folks do it everyday.

You can cart a canoe in there, but it's a rocky trail.

The lean-to you rmember on the rock ledge is gone. However, there is a HUGE/double LT just south of it ands several others around the lake.

I have heard of no thefts at Pharaoh, but it can be a very busy spot and sometimes with noise and beer parties; it's just too easy to get to. I've spent many a quiet night there, but I've also heard boom boxes, people yelling and shotguns going off. Like I said, go during the week.

Firewood is scarce around LT's. Do you really need a fire? Use a campstove to cook with.

Comment

Originally posted by dundee View Post
        Pharaoh is a lovely, but busy spot. Go during the week if you can. It sounds like your family took you in from the south, from the the Beaver Pond Road. If you park at the legal parking lot, it's about 4 miles to Pharaoh. If you have a big 4WD verhicle, you can shave about 1 mile off that distance. However, it's not legal to drive the extra distance, but no one will do anything about it and many folks do it everyday.

You can cart a canoe in there, but it's a rocky trail.

The lean-to you rmember on the rock ledge is gone. However, there is a HUGE/double LT just south of it ands several others around the lake.

I have heard of no thefts at Pharaoh, but it can be a very busy spot and sometimes with noise and beer parties; it's just too easy to get to. I've spent many a quiet night there, but I've also heard boom boxes, people yelling and shotguns going off. Like I said, go during the week.

Firewood is scarce around LT's. Do you really need a fire? Use a campstove to cook with.
        Thank you so much. Sad to hear that the LT we stayed in is gone. At least I can visit the spot. Can probably get by w/o a campfire. Sounds like there will be a lot of 'carry' points if using the canoe cart. I guess we'll do the best we can. Thanks again.

Comment

The easiest way to get into Pharaoh Lake is via the old road from the south. The road is legally closed, but is currently "drive at your own risk" to the Mill Brook crossing (and it is very much at your own risk, with some deep washouts). Bringing a canoe in on a cart on this trail is doable, but plan to take some time doing it- the old road is a bit rocky and muddy in spots. Avoid the temptation to use the canoe to hold your gear, as you'll be lifting it and the cart up and over rocks fairly frequently

There are 2 other moderately difficult ways to get into the lake- via Crane Pond and Glidden Marsh to the north, and via Putnam Pond to the east. Some people actually prefer these methods of approach, as you arrive at the lake away from the outlet, which tends to be the most popular (and most crowded) stretch of the lake.

There are also 2 longer trails that access Pharaoh Lake- the Sucker Brook Trail from the west, and the Springhill Ponds Trail from the south. Both of these trails are minimally maintained and are recommended only for those with a fair amount of experience in backcountry navigation.

The lean-to you stayed in sounds very much like the old Watch Rock Lean-to, which burned down a few years ago (I think in the 90's). The state has since closed the tip of the Watch Rock peninsula to all camping as a result of high levels of camping impacts. Accordingly, the very tip of the peninsula is now day use only. There is still a lean-to on the peninsula, set back from the tip, but it is very popular and you're very unlikely to find it unoccupied in the summer.

In general, the sites along the outlet on the west end of the lake are the most popular, as they are the most accessible. These sites do fill up fast on Friday afternoons in the summer, and if you plan to go on a weekend, you'll need to be prepared for the possibility of having to travel 2 or 3 more miles to find an open site after you reach the lake. There are 11 designated sites in addition to the 6 lean-tos (look for the yellow plastic discs that say "camp here"), so 17 legal spots to camp on the lake total. On most weekends in the summer, there are usually at least a couple of sites open, but the lake does fill up to capacity on holiday weekends.

Unfortunately, Pharaoh Lake is also a highly impacted destination. It is a popular beginner destination, as well as a popular destination for large groups of family/friends. It is also the most popular backcountry destination in the Adirondacks outside of the High Peaks. Knowledge of minimum impact camping techniques (such as Leave No Trace) among groups is often minimal at best. Firewood is hard to find at most campsites, and stumps are a visible reminder of the failure of previous groups to practice LNT. Charmin blossoms unfortunately are also frequently encountered.

The state has increased efforts at maintaining a visible presence and providing education on the lake in recent years, and also implemented a few re-vegetation projects on the lake, but issues with tree cutting as well as garbage and human waste disposal still frequently occur.

It is a beautiful destination nonetheless, and a unique resource- it is the largest lake in the Adirondacks completely surrounded by wilderness. Definitely worth visiting if you can either go when it isn't busy, or are willing to endure an experience that doesn't provide much in the way of solitude.
          Last edited by DSettahr; 11-18-2014, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
            The easiest way to get into Pharaoh Lake is via the old road from the south. The road is legally closed, but is currently "drive at your own risk" to the Mill Brook crossing (and it is very much at your own risk, with some deep washouts). Bringing a canoe in on a cart on this trail is doable, but plan to take some time doing it- the old road is a bit rocky and muddy in spots. Avoid the temptation to use the canoe to hold your gear, as you'll be lifting it and the cart up and over rocks fairly frequently

There are 2 other moderately difficult ways to get into the lake- via Crane Pond and Glidden Marsh to the north, and via Putnam Pond to the east. Some people actually prefer these methods of approach, as you arrive at the lake away from the outlet, which tends to be the most popular (and most crowded) stretch of the lake.

There are also 2 longer trails that access Pharaoh Lake- the Sucker Brook Trail from the west, and the Springhill Ponds Trail from the south. Both of these trails are minimally maintained and are recommended only for those with a fair amount of experience in backcountry navigation.

The lean-to you stayed in sounds very much like the old Watch Rock Lean-to, which burned down a few years ago (I think in the 90's). The state has since closed the tip of the Watch Rock peninsula to all camping as a result of high levels of camping impacts. Accordingly, the very tip of the peninsula is now day use only. There is still a lean-to on the peninsula, set back from the tip, but it is very popular and you're very unlikely to find it unoccupied in the summer.

In general, the sites along the outlet on the west end of the lake are the most popular, as they are the most accessible. These sites do fill up fast on Friday afternoons in the summer, and if you plan to go on a weekend, you'll need to be prepared for the possibility of having to travel 2 or 3 more miles to find an open site after you reach the lake. There are 11 designated sites in addition to the 6 lean-tos (look for the yellow plastic discs that say "camp here"), so 17 legal spots to camp on the lake total. On most weekends in the summer, there are usually at least a couple of sites open, but the lake does fill up to capacity on holiday weekends.

Unfortunately, Pharaoh Lake is also a highly impacted destination. It is a popular beginner destination, as well as a popular destination for large groups of family/friends. It is also the most popular backcountry destination in the Adirondacks outside of the High Peaks. Knowledge of minimum impact camping techniques (such as Leave No Trace) among groups is often minimal at best. Firewood is hard to find at most campsites, and stumps are a visible reminder of the failure of previous groups to practice LNT. Charmin blossoms unfortunately are also frequently encountered.

The state has increased efforts at maintaining a visible presence and providing education on the lake in recent years, and also implemented a few re-vegetation projects on the lake, but issues with tree cutting as well as garbage and human waste disposal still frequently occur.

It is a beautiful destination nonetheless, and a unique resource- it is the largest lake in the Adirondacks completely surrounded by wilderness. Definitely worth visiting if you can either go when it isn't busy, or are willing to endure an experience that doesn't provide much in the way of solitude.
            Awesome. Thanks so much for the great info. I appreciate it. Sorry to hear that the point has been so affected, but it doesn't surprise me. It's a great spot and obviously got a lot of traffic. At least I can go and see it again.

Struggling with the camp fire issue. Such a great part of camping, but also leads to the enviro impact that's been mentioned. Nobody's going to lug in wood, so that explains the chopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikehunter7 View Post
              Struggling with the camp fire issue. Such a great part of camping, but also leads to the enviro impact that's been mentioned. Nobody's going to lug in wood, so that explains the chopping.
              Yes, it is part of camping, but there are so many of us using the limited resource. No one cooks or stays warm with a fire these days, it's all about watching it burn. Caveman TV.

Comment

Yes, it is part of camping, but there are so many of us using the limited resource. No one cooks or stays warm with a fire these days, it's all about watching it burn. Caveman TV.
                I shouldn't have used the word 'struggling'. Wont be me damaging the trees during my trip. I basically meant that it would be nice if not for the effect on the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikehunter7 View Post
                  I shouldn't have used the word 'struggling'. Wont be me damaging the trees during my trip. I basically meant that it would be nice if not for the effect on the area.
                  I didn't take you seriously with te word "struggling". I know you won't damaged trees, but a campfire is nice thing to have and legal, if you use dead & down wood. It's just that the dead & down is gone and that forces the ignorant & apathetic (a deadly combo) to cut down trees.

A friend of mine puts charcoal in big ziploc bag and carries that in for his firewood. Inconvenient, and not the same effect as a campfire, but it does save the local resource.

Comment

No one cooks or stays warm with a fire these days, it's all about watching it burn. Caveman TV.
                    Not true.
                    I haven't used my stove on a backpacking trip in over 12 years. I always cook and boil water over a campfire, and often use them to warm up a bit on chilly mornings. The trouble is many people are just too damn lazy, and/or are just not educated enough to not cut down standing trees, especially at a popular campsite located on a peninsula such as Watch Rock Point. I do however agree that Pharaoh Lake is prone to severe negative impacts, much more so in recent years imho, such as lean-to #6 being burned down a few years ago. Why they chose to rebuild it is beyond me.
                    I camped at Pharaoh Lake Lean-to #4 a couple weeks ago, and there was plenty of dead & downed wood within a 5 minute walk from the campsite. After about an hour of gathering and cutting wood, I had enough for my intended use, and even left a bunch in the lean-to for the next occupants.
                    Btw, welcome to Adkforum Pikehunter 7.
                    Last edited by Justin; 11-24-2014, 06:38 PM. Reason: Deleted photo

Comment

Pharoah is a beautiful lake for paddling, I tried to cart a boat up with a homemade cart it didn't make it .75 miles, don't load the boat. I portaged an ultralight tandem and it was well worth it. I too am hoping to go again next year. Of course I haven't been there in 20 plus years. Don't leave any valuables in your vehicle, mine was broken into during hunting season.

Comment

I was able to pull a seakayak loaded with gear all the way in from the south end years ago. Holy smoke-must have been '96! It sure wasn't easy but I'm so glad I did it. It was a great place years ago. I was back there a couple of years ago and it's still a beautiful place but not as nice as it was. Just too much junk laying around on Watch Rock. Definitely go for a mid week trip!
                        "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."
                        -George Washington Sears

Comment

Justin, I know that there are some people who do cook on a fire. When I siad "no one", I meant it in the way we say "everybody", a general term. Perhaps I should state that FEW people cook over a fire these days.

Comment

Justin, I know that there are some people who do cook on a fire. When I siad "no one", I meant it in the way we say "everybody", a general term. Perhaps I should state that FEW people cook over a fire these days.
                            I didn't take you seriously with the words "no one".

Comment

No matter how well-used a LT might be I have always found plenty of dead and down wood by walking a couple hundred yards down the trail then going off the trail and penetrating into the woods.
                              The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X