No announcement yet.

The 18 patch (non 46er) challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempting to upload a .jpg of the Poke-o-M patch.....hopefully soon.....

Comment

P o M patch
      Attached Files

Comment

Strange.

Poke-O-Moonshine wasn't on the Mountaineer's website last week and now it's there. Perhaps someone there reads this forum ...

OK, added to the 18 patch challenge.

Poke-O-Moonshine thanks you for your unwavering support.

Comment

Cool, remove the Saranac 6 patch, and back to 18 right?

Anybody find a Snowy Mt patch? If somebody is reading this forum, hint hint

A place in Long Lake sells Goodnow, Owls Heads (LL not the one by Cascade) and either Coney or Goodman, but those three are slightly different, a bit smaller, and I would exclude from this grouping of 18.

Comment

As I posted above, there's patches out there for Azure, Arab, and Bald/Rondaxe as well.

Comment

What series are the three mentioned above? The ones produced by Mountaineer, or different, such as the three I named from LL area? This list is getting official...cool stuff.

Comment

Patches for Indian Pass/ Rocky Falls as well as Hadley Mountain available here... https://www.adk.org/product-category/patches/page/2/

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                  A place in Long Lake sells Goodnow, Owls Heads (LL not the one by Cascade) and either Coney or Goodman, but those three are slightly different, a bit smaller, and I would exclude from this grouping of 18.
                  Coney, Owls Head, and Goodnow available here...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                    What series are the three mentioned above? The ones produced by Mountaineer, or different, such as the three I named from LL area? This list is getting official...cool stuff.
                    They are produced by the Friends groups associated with mountain, and are sold to raise funds for fire tower preservation and stewardship-related programs.

Comment

Does Indian Head count as a Mountain? Or go with the Marcy Dam, Rocky Falls series?

Comment

Wow. Lots of patches out there.

For this list I'm going to stick with the ones available at the Mountaineer, which appear to have the same production as their 46er series.

Plus, I can't edit the "18 patch" title.

Comment

While we're on the topic of patches. Has anybody ever seen these before? As I was poking around last night trying to find additional Adirondack patches I came across these on eBay. Seem to be generic type mountain backgrounds rather than the custom ones we're used to seeing. Wondering where these came from.

Comment

Google "custom embroidered patches" and you'll get a list of shops that'll make whatever patch you want.

Sawtooth #2 and Sawtooth #1 are also known as "Cutter" and "Raker".

The pointy one on the left is Cutter, the broad-ridged one to its far right is Raker

You could have a custom shop make "Cutter" and "Raker" patches. Heck, you could have them make a patch for each of the "Other 54", namely the peaks of the ADK Hundred Highest (ADKHH) beyond the ADK46.

However, I doubt there would be a market for ADKHH patches. Very few people who complete the ADK46 go on to do the ADKHH. Plus the people I've met who have completed it, or aspire to do so, don't appear to collect peak patches. I imagine some do but not the one's I've met.

A much smaller group is those who hike all peaks higher than 3500' (the 770 list). Enough patches to wallpaper a room!
                            Looking for views!

Comment

More Gore

They're now making a patch for Gore Mountain so this has become the 19 patch challenge.

Our family is having fun working our way through these on the days the boys and I aren't doing a 46er. We've now completed 6.

I made a Google Sheet with mileage, elevation, and a map of each hike. If you're interested in making a copy for your own use select "File -> Make a copy".

Cascade is not part of the challenge but its stats are included at the bottom as a comparison reference.
                              Last edited by AvalanchePass; 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Snowy....snowy....snowy........

Comment

Working...
                                X