Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footwear for Marcy Hike

Hello all,

I have been planning a trip to the Adirondacks to hike Mt. Marcy and Algonquin Peak. I will be hiking the weekend of OCT 20th. I've gotten all my gear together, however I'm left only with the decision of what footwear to bring.

I have a pair of waterproof trail shoes, and a pair of mid weight waterproof boots.

My question is, which to bring? I prefer the freedom of my ankles while on these kinds of hikes, however if there will be deep snow or deep water that might warrant the use of boots I would like to know.

EDIT: I have micro spikes that fit both

Thank you for your input!

Bring both and make your decision in the parking area. Speak to staff at ADK Loj who can provide you with the latest trail status on October 20th. Basically, juggle all the factors (comfort, protection, trail conditions in valleys, the transition-zone, and above treeline, etc) and make the call at the last minute.

I've worn trail-shoes (w/Gore-Tex) in light snow and ice conditions (most recently last November). Short gaiters keep snow out of the shoes and constant motion keeps my feet warm. I always carry plastic bags and spare socks in the event my shoes and feet become wet and cold.

North side of Lower Wolf Jaw, November 2016

If the conditions are very wet, or there's more than just a dusting of snow (at higher elevations), or if the temperature is consistently below freezing, then I prefer to wear boots (mainly for added warmth and water-resistance).

PS
    If you've never worn microspikes on your trail-shoes, give it a try first (if you can). I find the elastic is strong enough to cause my old trail-shoes to curl a bit thereby shortening them slightly (think: curly-toed shoes). It didn't cause me any problems during the hike (no blisters) but it did feel weird underfoot (like wearing micropikes and slippers).
    Looking for views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
      PS
      If you've never worn microspikes on your trail-shoes, give it a try first (if you can). I find the elastic is strong enough to cause my old trail-shoes to curl a bit thereby shortening them slightly (think: curly-toed shoes). It didn't cause me any problems during the hike (no blisters) but it did feel weird underfoot (like wearing micropikes and slippers).
      Thank you for the tips. I actually purchased the microspikes for this trip and have not used them before. I'll keep this in mind.

Regarding the microspikes, I'm assuming I keep them in my pack until I encounter ice, then use them for the remainder of the trip. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Swoyer242 View Post
        Regarding the microspikes, I'm assuming I keep them in my pack until I encounter ice, then use them for the remainder of the trip. Is this correct?
        That is what we do - we put them on when we think we need them. Which could be ice, snow, etc. They can go in a pack of course but I also will clip them onto outside. I guess they could catch on a branch but if inside make sure the spikes are not harming your pack.
        Last edited by Stryder; 10-11-2017, 08:56 AM. Reason: Oops - signed onto wrong account. This is actually 'tenderfoot'

Comment

Boots are my go to with spikes on. Nothing like being 7 miles in and realizing that you feel every spike under your sneakers. Also toe pressure on the decent may be an issue. It would be a shame if on a hike up Marcy all you can think about is how much your feet hurt. Either way have fun and enjoy.

Comment

Working...
          X