Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know of the condition of the Red Horse Trail into Salmon and Trout lakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know of the condition of the Red Horse Trail into Salmon and Trout lakes?

Anybody know of the condition of the Red Horse Trail into Salmon and Trout lakes from Stillwater Reservoir / Burnt Lake?

I haven't been there in a couple of years, when I was part of a trail trail clearing crew there. There are wet places and dry places. Should be generally easy to travel in any case.
    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

In July 2016 the trails were open and clear. The exit from Salmon Lake onto the trails had a large recent beaver dam that clogged the documented take-out.

Comment

FYI: Just in case you aren't aware: The Salmon Lake Lean-to was removed a good while ago. The continued inclusion of that lean-to on the Nat Geo maps is an error.

Comment

It was burned to the ground, by accident or on purpose, but not by authority of the DEC.
          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
            It was burned to the ground, by accident or on purpose, but not by authority of the DEC.
            Thanks. I thought that was what had happened but wasn't 100% sure. In any case, yeah, it's not there anymore.

Comment

Haven't been since last fall but the trail was in good shape to salmon. A little overgrown on the catwalks to whichhopple but not to bad at all. Good campsite at whichhopple also.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Always more comfortable going into a remote seldom visited area knowing the trail is in good shape.

Comment

Went all from trout to clear today. Trail was great. The trail crew had just been through. Only a couple small wetholes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcampeau485 View Post
                    Went all from trout to clear today. Trail was great. The trail crew had just been through. Only a couple small wetholes.
                    Surprised someone used so recently. I figured it was rarely used since the trail start from the shore of the reservoir, requiring a paddle to get to.

Comment

With the water so low in stillwater, there is actually a bit more walking than normal. I estimate that the water is about 9 to 10 feet below spring reservoir height. Makes motor boating the reservoir a bit interesting.

Comment

This will make your motor boat trip "less interesting", but much safer. At the current water height, don't count on getting a motor boat back into Trout Pond. There is trail access to the Red Horse on the north shore of Big Burnt though. It's near the first opening on the north shore, at the western point of Needle Island.

https://sites.google.com/site/stillw...oirnavigation/

Comment

Working...
                        X