Adk 46er multiple mountain overnight hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adk 46er multiple mountain overnight hike

Hello all, I'm looking for a suggestion for a multi peak hike that encompasses the 46er peaks. I did dix range already and looking for something similar with a hike in and staging from a campsite. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Search for many previous threads on this here and on ADKHighPeaks.

Obvious groups that come to mind are the Sewards, the Santanonis, sections of the Great Range, the Macs, etc.

Comment

Also, if you don't have it already, the basic ADK trail guide "High Peaks Trails" is an important resource -- anyone hiking the area should have it.

Comment

Marcy/Skylight/Gray, Cliff/Redfield, Phelps/Tabletop/Marcy, Whiteface/Esther, Giant/RPR, various permutations of the Lower Great Range, HABASA and plenty of camping at, around or after JBL and at Slant Rock. Not sure about camping options for Whiteface/Esther, but the others all have camping options.

Comment

Our last jaunt was hike into Gill Brook Campsite off of Lake road and did Colvin and Blake. Dial & Nippletop available as well. And of course the range across the road - Basin & Saddleback. Gothics, Armstrong & wolfjaws, etc. Plenty out there.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

When are you planning to go? The summits are already starting to see winter conditions (snow, ice, etc.). Do you have cold weather hiking experience?

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
              When are you planning to go? The summits are already starting to see winter conditions (snow, ice, etc.). Do you have cold weather hiking experience?
              Planning on going the first weekend in December. We do have some winter peak experience. Did the ultra 6er in December and did part of Dix range two years ago in February. Do you think we will need snow shoes at that time?

Comment

Originally posted by cpoit View Post
                Planning on going the first weekend in December. We do have some winter peak experience. Did the ultra 6er in December and did part of Dix range two years ago in February. Do you think we will need snow shoes at that time?
                I'd say you probably won't need them, but I wouldn't say that you definitely won't need them.

I'd personally be more worried about ice, which tends to be worse earlier in the winter season. Microspikes are a definite must-have. Depending on the conditions, crampons might be necessary also.

Be careful also with anything above treeline. Whiteout conditions are common earlier in the winter, and you may be forced to navigate without much in the way of visual aids. The ability to navigate by GPS/map and compass is essential, just in case. Every winter, the DEC has to rescue hikers that got turned around above treeline in winter.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                  I'd say you probably won't need them, but I wouldn't say that you definitely won't need them.

I'd personally be more worried about ice, which tends to be worse earlier in the winter season. Microspikes are a definite must-have. Depending on the conditions, crampons might be necessary also.

Be careful also with anything above treeline. Whiteout conditions are common earlier in the winter, and you may be forced to navigate without much in the way of visual aids. The ability to navigate by GPS/map and compass is essential, just in case. Every winter, the DEC has to rescue hikers that got turned around above treeline in winter.
                  Thanks for the info, I'll definitely bring gps with me tgis time around. I think pur plans habe changed a little. I think we are just doing 3 or 4 day hike style mountains. Githics and giant mountain are on my list. Any advice in either route?

Comment

If it's icy, Gothics can be a little bit tricky via Pyramid, or via the cables, especially if you're descending via either of these trails. The trail that ascends to the Gothics-Armstrong col usually isn't too bad.

Giant has some exposed sections further up but they aren't super steep. Are you thinking about also climbing Rocky Peak Ridge? The turnoff for the trail to RPR isn't far from the Giant summit, so if you're serious about climbing all 46 you'll likely end up having to pretty much re-climb Giant to get RPR at some point in the future. (Not that there's anything wrong with re-climbing Giant, it's one of the nicer High Peaks, but logistically speaking, it makes sense to climb those two together. )

Comment

Working...
                    X