Winter Camping Suggestions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Bruce,

You had a 0 degree Loco Libre Down top quit along with the 40 degree synthetic quilt and were still cold when the temps were only in the 20s? That doesn't sound right. Was this in a hammock or on the ground? What was your bottom insulation?

Originally posted by electbc View Post
    Oh sure I do. I have zero degree Loco Libre, and another Down 40 degree. Good news too, Brandon at Warbonnet says the UQ may ship tomorrow or Friday.
    I already had your TQ in the 20s along with the Loco Libre. I guess a good set of sleeping fleece is needed for the ratings which these are advertised as. I am trying a setup in the backyard tonight.

Comment

Goodluck is super easy to get to. I avoid it in the summer season, but if you're looking for easy parking and a quick hike with access to some open campsites, it is always an option.
      Last edited by WalkingStick; 12-20-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by camp43 View Post
        Hey Bruce,

You had a 0 degree Loco Libre Down top quit along with the 40 degree synthetic quilt and were still cold when the temps were only in the 20s? That doesn't sound right. Was this in a hammock or on the ground? What was your bottom insulation?
        No, I wasn't cold but I don't think that I would be warm at Zero degrees with the Zero degree quilt alone. I just need to tweek my sleeping attire in these temps. I was warm with the Zero and your quilt, with thin, minimal sleeping attire.

Comment

Good Luck is very accessible, it is a party spot in the summer and a popular ice fishing lake in the winter.

Comment

Well, +1 on Adirondack Loj if you are new to both winter camping and the Adirondacks. But it sounds like you have some experience. I still like the Loj because it is pretty good at spoofing true wilderness but you still have access to plumbing, water and your car. If we are working on a peak we will stay there in the winter just to simplify.

But I am intrigued by some of the places mentioned here so may have to try a non-peak winter camping trip or a combo (we are six hours away so like you have to plan ahead).

So my ground gear is rated to 0F and my hammock gear is rated to 20F on bottom and 10F on top (backwards - should be other way around). I've stayed comfortable to -10F on ground and +10F on top by adding. Comfortable as in I could have gone lower rather easily and I am not accounting for the extras in the hammock system that extend the temp rating . Hot water bottle trick, fleece full length sleepwear, fleece hood, food & beverage. The usual stuff.

The one piece of gear that is newer and I really like is the SOL Escape Bivy Lite. This is a breathable thermal emergency bivy. I like it because I carry it in day pack as emergency shelter but it also extends the temp range on my sleep system. Mass Drop had them at $24 once too - which did not hurt. I have not tested it enough to say how much it adds but did feel a noticeable difference when I wiggled out of it inadvertently in the hammock.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

Here is the link for Greenfrogs' BCUSA trip report to Good Luck lake.
              Made it out to the Adirondacks this past weekend for a winter camp with some BCUSA friends and a few folks from other outdoor forums. We hot tented, cold camped, ice fished, snowshoed, processed a lot of firewood and did some camp cookery. It was great to get out after so much reading about...

Comment

I'm staying at the LOJ campsites with some friends and relatives in a few weeks. My daughter is new to winter camping so I'm trying to make it as comfortable as possible for her. Advantage of the car being 100 ft away. Will hike around hopefully to Avalanch lake and short hike up Mt. JO. Surprisingly last year around mid January there were plenty of other folks car camping. Both advantages and disadvantages. Buying firewood there was nice. But your not really in the wilderness.

I've cold camped by pulling a sled with heavier tent by Marcy Dam, we were closer to hiking the peaks but open fires are not allowed there. I did miss having an open fire, it was a cold one that trip.

Last year a few of us pulled sleds into Goodluck lake (sp?) short hike in, maybe 1/2 mile. Nice area and close enough to go back for the wood that we bought nearby.

And I have the same problem having to drive 5-6 hours and 250 miles from the NYC suburbs.

But thanks for starting this thread, I'm getting some great ideas here also. Did anyone mention camping by Little Tupper Lake? That's on my list. I want to go where open fires or hot tenting is allowed these days. Be well.

Comment

Originally posted by coldfeet View Post
                  I'm staying at the LOJ campsites with some friends and relatives in a few weeks. My daughter is new to winter camping so I'm trying to make it as comfortable as possible for her. Advantage of the car being 100 ft away. Will hike around hopefully to Avalanch lake and short hike up Mt. JO. Surprisingly last year around mid January there were plenty of other folks car camping. Both advantages and disadvantages. Buying firewood there was nice. But your not really in the wilderness.

I've cold camped by pulling a sled with heavier tent by Marcy Dam, we were closer to hiking the peaks but open fires are not allowed there. I did miss having an open fire, it was a cold one that trip.

Last year a few of us pulled sleds into Goodluck lake (sp?) short hike in, maybe 1/2 mile. Nice area and close enough to go back for the wood that we bought nearby.

And I have the same problem having to drive 5-6 hours and 250 miles from the NYC suburbs.

But thanks for starting this thread, I'm getting some great ideas here also. Did anyone mention camping by Little Tupper Lake? That's on my list. I want to go where open fires or hot tenting is allowed these days. Be well.
                  Thanks for the Loj suggestions. I'll check the place out online. I'm about 5 hours out from the Adk Loj as well coming from North Jersey. I definitely want to go where fires are allowed. Winter camping without one is not fun to be. Not only due to the cold but the long nights as well. I don't really want to be I my hammock for 12 hours or more.

On a side note, do any outfitters in the Adirondacks rent hot tent set ups? I inquired with two this morning but probably won't hear back right away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coldfeet View Post
                    ...Did anyone mention camping by Little Tupper Lake?
                    Little Tupper Lake & Bum Pond... https://youtu.be/WdpRY5EcBkM

Comment

Originally posted by camp43 View Post
                      Thanks for the Loj suggestions. I'll check the place out online. I'm about 5 hours out from the Adk Loj as well coming from North Jersey. I definitely want to go where fires are allowed. Winter camping without one is not fun to be. Not only due to the cold but the long nights as well. I don't really want to be I my hammock for 12 hours or more.

On a side note, do any outfitters in the Adirondacks rent hot tent set ups? I inquired with two this morning but probably won't hear back right away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                      Hot tent rentals aren't readily available in the Adirondacks, I believe that you would need to go into Algonquin in Canada for availability there.
                      I have a spike tent which works well, a nice size at 12 x 12 and a plastic floor which I may cut out.
                      I am also working on a 8 x 10 Scout camp wall tent with a steel internal frame, no floor, I have to fabricate a stove jack for it. Neither are backpacking items so the sled, or car camping is necessary.
                      I also have a Kni-co Alasken stove. You are welcome to borrow either or we can arrange a weekend group trip.
                      I am not 100% sure on the ADK Loj trip yet but my plan so far is to leave from work on the 27th getting up there in the dark, and stay until the 29th.

Comment

Camp43, Forgot to mention, stop by if your in the area.

Think I have your email, if not send me a pm

As of now I saw the long range forecast for Lake Placid on Wed the 27th... -4F at night! ouch!

Comment

Justin, just had to laugh at the 1:30 min mark with your dog wagging his tail on the camera, very funny! Going back to video...wish my daughters dog wasn't so wild and excitable...he runs all over

Comment

Thanks Feet,
                            Yeah that was the first time I tried strapping the GoPro camera to Jenny’s back, and she tried to shake it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                              Thanks Feet,
                              Yeah that was the first time I tried strapping the GoPro camera to Jenny’s back, and she tried to shake it off.
                              Your dog is a saint.

Comment

Round Lake was fun with easy parking:

My YouTube channel

Comment

Working...
                                X