No announcement yet.

Winter Camping Suggestions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coldfeet - I think the park you're thinking of is Glimmerglass State Park. It's just up the lake from Cooperstown and open all year. They have primitive campsites as well as some trails from xc skiing/snowshoeing and also a toboggan run. I live just south of Cooperstown so if I can help you with any planning, just let me know.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Comment

That's the place Snapper! I spoke to a woman working there a few months ago looking for places to camp. Maybe we can set up a mini gathering one weekend. Talk soon

Comment

Originally posted by coldfeet View Post
        I'm going to confirm with the LOJ about purchasing wood there, usually $7-$8 a bundle if I recall.
        I was up Jan 1 '17 and they ran out, or had a staffing issue that prevented them from getting it to us. So we were literally out in the cold w/o fire for a few hours - no biggy, we were cold camping anyway but wer elooking forward to a cheerful warming fire. Since than I buy local on way in or ask on check in.

last time on a holiday weekend the port o johns at the LOJ were disgusting. Hope they are cleaner this time, might have a plan in the works.
        When I winter camp at Loj we like the actual indoor plumbing available at High Peaks Info Center (HPIC). The used to leave back door open 24 hours. Has this changed with the renovated HPIC?
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
          Glimmerglass State Park
          Camped there with Scouts a few years back. Lean-tos on pond and this open field that had turf over gravel. Rained all night but the ground drained so well never got muddy. Tough on tent stakes though.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

Originally posted by tenderfoot View Post

When I winter camp at Loj we like the actual indoor plumbing available at High Peaks Info Center (HPIC). The used to leave back door open 24 hours. Has this changed with the renovated HPIC?
            Tenderfoot. Last year the renovation was going on and those bathrooms were closed.

I’m going to pick up wood on the way also. Now Thursday night temps -14. I have t been out in those temps in at least 7 years.
            Fun starting to pack gear. Take care

Comment

Good luck Coldfeet, let us know how it goes. Bring a jump starter for your car! I'll be headed out for the first outing the middle of January. Hopefully it won't be as cold.
              Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly D. View Post
                Good luck Coldfeet, let us know how it goes. Bring a jump starter for your car! I'll be headed out for the first outing the middle of January. Hopefully it won't be as cold.
                Need to remember to back the car in just in case. Also bought one of those portable battery chargers and I need to make sure that's charged. I wonder how quickly they loose their charge in cold weather? Guess I'm going to find out.

Comment

Need to remember to back the car in just in case. Also bought one of those portable battery chargers and I need to make sure that's charged. I wonder how quickly they loose their charge in cold weather? Guess I'm going to find out.
                  Hey cold feet.

I'm seeing -20 and -24 Wednesday and Thursday nights in Lake Placid. Good luck, stay warm and enjoy yourself! I'm going to stick closer to home. No not tent here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, saw the same temps. It's a no go for me also. I called the LOJ, cancelled my reservations and will go into the Berkshires of MA where it will be a lot warmer, -5F.

Hanging out with family and friends.

Hope to set up a mini gathering one day up in the ADK.

Comment

my overnight winter camping consists of throwing another blanket on my king sized bed and cranking up the thermostat to about 74 degrees !!

Comment

Snowtrekkers.

[QUOTE=camp43;264710]Thanks for the Loj suggestions. I'll check the place out online. I'm about 5 hours out from the Adk Loj as well coming from North Jersey. I definitely want to go where fires are allowed. Winter camping without one is not fun to be. Not only due to the cold but the long nights as well. I don't really want to be I my hammock for 12 hours or more.

On a side note, do any outfitters in the Adirondacks rent hot tent set ups? I inquired with two this morning but probably won't hear back right away.

Here are Snowtrekker rental locations as per their website.
                        Where to rent Snowtrekker® Tents

Lure of the North Outfitting
                        Espanola, Ontario, Canada (705.586.1226)

Piragis Northwoods
                        Ely, MN (800.223.6565)

DIRO Outdoors
                        Stillwater, MN (651.233.6059)

Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply
                        Grand Marais, MN (218.387.3136)

Sawtooth Outfitters
                        Tofte, MN (218-663-7643)

Red Lake Outfitters
                        Red Lake, Ontario (807.727.9797)

Algonquin Basecamp
                        Emsdale, Ontario (705.783.2005)

Mike Sheffar
                        London, Ontario (519.870.1313) Mike@spminc.ca

Places to get great gear and information

Black River Sleds

Empire Wool and Canvas Company

Ski Pulks

Winter Trekking
                        (Online forum for winter campers)

Comment

Camped at Spectacle Lake

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I was finally able to make it up to Spectacle Lake in the Ferris Lake Wild Forest. I had a 4 hour ride each way and wanted to get up there before the warmer weather forecast this week. Unfortunately I could only go for one night. We snowshoed in and camped at the southern end of Spectacle Lake. Beautiful area. Hopefully I can make it back up there for more than one night before spring really sets in.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice photos and nice to hear you got out Camp43.

Bioguide-can you tell me anything, like age or manufacturer of that saw and your other handled tools? And is that a modern pack basket?

Comment

Nice! Better to go out one night instead of sitting home dreaming about going out at least one night.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post

Bioguide-can you tell me anything, like age or manufacturer of that saw and your other handled tools? And is that a modern pack basket?
                                I have 2 saws. The one in the photo is a 5' Disston champion tooth pattern and I have a 3' Disston with the same pattern. I don't know the ages of them but they are "old". The pack basket is modern. Here is a video I did of my kit:

My YouTube channel

Comment

Working...
                                X