Topping off water bottle with snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topping off water bottle with snow

Looking at Nippletop => Dial. Long day of hiking. Was going over my water options and thought instead of carrying four liters I could carry 2 and simply scoop some snow into nalgene after each water stop. And carry fuel. I have a steripen so can purify. I was just picturing the usual resupply spots (Gill Brook) and picture thin ice over swift water. Would welcome any thoughts.

I have read the atmospheric pollution thread as well as some great ones on winter thru hikes of NLPT.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Was up there this weekend and there are some spots where you can get at moving water, but they may freeze over if it gets cold again, so you may be able to top off in the brook. Should be plenty of snow around to melt if you're going soon.

Comment

Thank you

Heading up Fri evening, forecast for Keene Valley puts it at -1F over Fri night with a high of 26F on Sat. So I am sort of hoping things freeze up nicely and we can avoid sloshing on the trails.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

If you need to break up ice can you do it without falling in? And if you leave some water in the bottles it may help 'dissolve/melt' any snow you put in. And of course if you melt snow start with some water in the pot or the pot burns. Have fun.

Comment

You can top off your water bottles with snow and put inside you jacket to melt. It takes awhile, but it works. I always went with wide-mouth bottles as the neck takes longer to freeze. Also takes longer to freeze if you turn upside down.

Comment

I hear yellow snow works best.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
              I hear yellow snow works best.

Or, leave out the snow

Comment

For Dial-Nip-Colvin-Blake in winter I usually go through about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart. 4 quarts seems extremely high. But, everyone is different in their requiremnts.

You can fill the nalgenes at home with boiling water, put them in cozies and then put the cozies in a cooler. On the trail when you add snow the still-hot water will quickly melt it.

You can get water out of Gill brook if you need to and of course that is much better than snow.
                The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Comment

Thanks folks.

Yes, we can preheat the water a bit. Good idea. The warming in the jacket too.

Yes, I drink LOTS of water and will pay attention to Gil Brook for a fill up spot.

Thanks folks
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X