Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

Bushwhacking the firetower peaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Mt. Adams for sure, intimately nestled among the giants...but I liked the climb better before it became a marked and maintained trail.
So far I have bushwhacked:

Lyon
Hurricane
Adams
Vanderwhacker
Blue
Wakely
Snowy
Gore
Pillsbury

Only 25 to go!

Anybody else?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Alpine1

Stillwater
Moose River Mtn
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
adktyler
previously adk88

Only Gore. Only 33 to go!!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Lyon
Hurricane
Adams
Vanderwhacker
Blue
Wakely
Snowy
Gore
Pillsbury

Only 25 to go!

Anybody else?
not me! I was recalling that you wrote a report on Averill/Lyon with peakbager[Alan] a couple of summers ago. PB is a good navigator,I suppose.
Have you bushwhacked these solo or with other bushwhackers? Looncry
Old 05-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Lyon
Hurricane
Adams
Vanderwhacker
Blue
Wakely
Snowy
Gore
Pillsbury

Only 25 to go!

Anybody else?
Snowy? Do you really expect us to believe that? I'd need to see picture proof of that one!

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I bushwhacked Adams too, quite unintentionally though- I've heard that this is a common occurrence. The guidebook says to take your first left past the old observers cabin, and there's an obvious logging road that splits left just past the cabin!

It was worth it though... on our way up, we found an old cross-cut saw in the woods, left behind from historic logging operations.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
mink

I bushwhacked Lyon as well as the upper portion of Loon Lake Mountain.
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mink View Post
Loon Lake Mountain.
This one should be added to the Fire Tower Challenge, as it is possible to access it by bushwhacking without crossing private property. You don't need to do all the Adirondack towers to complete the challenge anyways.

Plus the whole Debar Game Management Area and the Debar Wild Forest is a really neat, rarely visited area.

A long term goal of mine is the climb all of the publicly accessible mountains that ever had a fire tower on them.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Slightly OT, but here goes.
Long back, my son and I did the LTL to Lila traverse, staying the night on the island on Rock Pond. To the South, there was clearly visible a firetower on Salmon Lake Mt.?
Has anyone else noticed that? I thought it odd that a firetower would be on private land...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A lot of the fire towers were constructed on private land that was leased by the state. Mt. Morris is an example of another firetower, prominently visible from Tupper Lake, that is on private land and therefore inaccessible to the public.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

I've kinda wondered if people bag both firetower sites on "Beaver Lake Mt". The original was @ a lower elevation than the more current one. And would that count as 1, or 2 firetowers ?

Footers & cable remains are still visible @ the lower site.

Bald Mt. in Croghan is right in my backyard & I visited the site for the 1st time this Spring. Hardly worth the little effort, as there's not much of a view w/o the added height of the tower (I guess).
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
adkeditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Slightly OT, but here goes.
Long back, my son and I did the LTL to Lila traverse, staying the night on the island on Rock Pond. To the South, there was clearly visible a firetower on Salmon Lake Mt.?
Has anyone else noticed that? I thought it odd that a firetower would be on private land...
Yes, there is a tower on Salmon Lake Mt., which is owned by the Whitney family. I mentioned it toward the end of this commentary.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
adkeditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondhopper View Post
I've kinda wondered if people bag both firetower sites on "Beaver Lake Mt". The original was @ a lower elevation than the more current one. And would that count as 1, or 2 firetowers ?

Footers & cable remains are still visible @ the lower site.

Bald Mt. in Croghan is right in my backyard & I visited the site for the 1st time this Spring. Hardly worth the little effort, as there's not much of a view w/o the added height of the tower (I guess).
Funny, but I was in that area last week and thought about doing that climb. I drove down Bald Mt. Road but didn't see a trailhead. It was getting late, so I didn't look too hard. So the tower is gone and there is no view?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

^^^ - There's no noticeable trailhead & the area is easement w/just hunting rights remaining (open to public, otherwise). A muddy atv trail follows a skidder path & leads to the summit from a spur road off of "The Bald Mt. Rd.", or main road. Recently, heavily logged- there's a rock outcropping, which affords an unremarkable view of the end of Long Pond & Tug Hill. The tower was dismantled & now has a new home, near the Dadville's NYDEC (< or, so I hear).
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote