Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
ChrisX24

Question Mt. Woodhull and its fire tower, 7/31/2010

Leapt at the opportunity to visit Mt. Woodhull and its fire tower over the weekend. I read in the book "Firetowers in the Adirondacks and Catskills" and was intrigued that one *could* bike in and hike the rest of the way to the summit and fire tower. So I brought my bike.

Signed the register at the trailhead at around 9.30 a.m. Was pleased to see that I was the first biker/hiker to set off for the summit. I biked in (yes, I agree that a regular bike won't do: only a mountain or road bike would be best since this is a gravel-covered former railroad track) for the first 5 miles, which took me about an hour. Came to the nice, newly built bridge crossing, where I locked up my bike and set off on foot. Beautiful day, sunshine abounding with fluffy white clouds in a blue sky.

Easy hike on a steady incline to the summit, 45 minutes to an hour, whereupon I was started to discover a group of 6 hikers who had come up in the opposite direction!

I thought there were NO other trails to Woodhull? I had Googled for possible other trails to Woodhull to see if there were any alternatives to this 15.6 mile RT bike and hike.

Does anyone know?

Many thanks,

Christopher Lehfeldt, Rochester, NY
ADK 46R #5621
ChrisX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Alpine1

The trail they used came in from the Adirondack League Club property.
A mere 1/4 mile hike from there road.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
ChrisX24

Makes sense. How does someone become a member of the Adirondack League?

Chris, wonderingly
Old 08-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
ChrisX24

Never mind. Found a thread on here about the ALC.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=8713

Tags
bike, firetower, woodhull