Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

E-bike news

Not sure if this is good or bad..

https://gearjunkie.com/nps-e-bike-ru...df0b0-22798193

I heard NY was considering making e-bikes legal statewide and not just for NYC. Anyone know?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
Tick Magnet

I see them every day in the park where I "work". They're on the paved roads and on the woodland trails. The park is already heavily traveled by mountain bikes, fat tires and road bikes, so the e-bikes don't seem to have a huge impact on our trails. It's hard to say what they'll do in the ADK's. Some trails can probably handle it, some, not so much.

One observation is that most of the people operating them are young and "fit". Just sayin'
Old 09-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

The issue is not so much trail impact - TM is correct on that. The issue is more intangible, and why it's so much more of an issue. It's really about drawing the line for motorized use.

Right now, the trails I ride do not allow e-bikes, and the policy has been regardless of state regulations, the decision is in the hands of the land manager. I believe this is the proper management strategy. I'm pretty sure the state will handle this in the same way for their lands and allow the DEC to decide what trails are open to e-bikes and what are not. Certainly Wilderness is off limits, and it is to pedal bikes, and this will probably further drive a stake into the bike access argument. But regardless of that, in the Adirondacks, Wild Forest allows motorized access on roads and snowmobile trails, so I don't see that e-bikes will be any more detrimental there. They are very quiet, so even hikers or campers near a snowmobile trail will not be burdened with noise.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
The issue is not so much trail impact - TM is correct on that. The issue is more intangible, and why it's so much more of an issue. It's really about drawing the line for motorized use.

Right now, the trails I ride do not allow e-bikes, and the policy has been regardless of state regulations, the decision is in the hands of the land manager. I believe this is the proper management strategy. I'm pretty sure the state will handle this in the same way for their lands and allow the DEC to decide what trails are open to e-bikes and what are not. Certainly Wilderness is off limits, and it is to pedal bikes, and this will probably further drive a stake into the bike access argument. But regardless of that, in the Adirondacks, Wild Forest allows motorized access on roads and snowmobile trails, so I don't see that e-bikes will be any more detrimental there. They are very quiet, so even hikers or campers near a snowmobile trail will not be burdened with noise.
Yeah, I don't ride, so I wasn't sure of the impact. I'm wondering if it will cause an influx of users as they become more popular. Right now they are still pretty pricey, but like everything else, that will probably change. I agree on the no noise, they are awesome for that. I'd rather have a hundred e-bikes vs one 3hp outboard that can cause noise for miles.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

I really doubt it Johnny. To make that deduction we'd have to look at bikes. Mountain biking is pretty limited in the Adirondacks and I wouldn't expect this to be any more popular than that. It's not like riding an ATV, you still have to pedal, and be able to handle a bike off road. If the batteries die, you have to pedal a really heavy (50 lbs or so) machine. So my guess is most people will keep them on dirt roads and snowmobile trails. I highly doubt the groups (BETA and such) that have built dedicated MTB trails will want to allow their access. Ultimately the decision would be up to the DEC if it is land they manage, but the leaders of these groups will have a heavy say, and I doubt they will want access - most bike groups hate these things. It's kind of like how hikers don't really like bikes - the attitude of most serious cyclists is like that toward them.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

And I guess illegal use is another concern, but I don't see it being any worse than illegal biking.

I think most people will ride them on dirt and gravel roads, which is a perfect application, and much better than more motor vehicles IMO.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
And I guess illegal use is another concern, but I don't see it being any worse than illegal biking.

I think most people will ride them on dirt and gravel roads, which is a perfect application, and much better than more motor vehicles IMO.
Interesting! I didn't know that mountain bikers don't like them. I see ads for them all the time with the fat tires and the off road use. I wouldn't mind having one, but I'm saving up for my snowdog (Bioguide!).

https://bikeberry.com/blog/the-top-e...bikes-of-2018/
Old 09-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

They seem to be pushing them to older guys. We'll see how it goes.

Around here (western NY), I see them pull up to a trailhead looking all shiny on the back of someone's car, then eventually the owner notices the NO E-BIKE signage, and they leave. I've never actually seen one on the trails. We have such a large rider base out here that I doubt anyone would try it because someone would say something.

The reason a lot of serious cyclists hate them is because they don't want to be associated with the motorized crowd like they are already viewed of in terms of the law a lot of times. A lot of these groups fought long and hard to get the access to build trails where they have, and they wouldn't jeopardize that to gain a few older or less fit supporters.