Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #21
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A few distinctions that no one has mentioned:

In the case of boats that are locked up (i.e., chained up and padlocked to a tree), this is storage of personal property on state land. In these circumstances, the state will aggressively pursue remedies- including cutting the chain/locks, hauling the boat out of the backcountry (if feasible) and entering it into evidence storage, attempting to track down an owner and issue citations, etc.

In the case of boats that are not locked up and are available for anyone to use: These are generally considered lower priority. It's less a case of stored personal property and more a case of abandoned property, and realistically it's just not feasible for the state to constantly pursue action in regards to "first come, first serve" boats on lakes- given the large number of them across the park as well as the remote locations many of them reside in. So generally speaking, there is a bit of an expectation (even if unofficial) that if there is a boat on state land, then at the very least it should be available for anyone to use.

That's not to say that the state doesn't take any action regarding unlocked boats on state land. As Justin pointed out, the state flew a bunch of boats (generally the ones in the worst shape and posing the greatest safety threat) out of Pharoah Lake a few years ago. And about 10+ years ago, there was a big push across the Adirondack Park to try and get as many boats out of the backcountry as possible that resulted in quite a few boats being taken off state land throughout the park.

Another important consideration that has yet to be mentioned: Contrary to what often appears to be common belief, the life jacket law does very much apply to the backcountry- and it is often strictly enforced. Rangers will issue tickets for paddlers without life jackets in the backcountry while at the same time ignoring the fact that they are using a boat that (technically) isn't supposed to be there.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #22
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for chiming in, DSett. You always have a great nack for telling it like it is.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #23
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Another important consideration that has yet to be mentioned: Contrary to what often appears to be common belief, the life jacket law does very much apply to the backcountry- and it is often strictly enforced. Rangers will issue tickets for paddlers without life jackets in the backcountry while at the same time ignoring the fact that they are using a boat that (technically) isn't supposed to be there.
*raises hand* I have a question: Would a blow up snorkeling vest count as a life jacket, or does it have to be certified somehow? I ask because those are very light and flat when not full of air, and could easily be tossed in a pack for a "just in case I want to use a boat" situation.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #24
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It has to be Coast Guard approved type I, II, III, or V life jacket.

For backcountry use, some paddlers will carry inflatable Type V life jackets- these are small vests with a CO2 cartridge that are designed to inflate upon pulling a ripcord. These are often seen as preferable to Type I/II/III life jackets as they tend to be less bulkier (and lighter). However, it's worth pointing out that unlike Type I/II/III life jackets, which need not be worn during warmer weather to be legal, Type V life jackets are only legal when worn, in any conditions.

There's more info in the following links:

https://www.boat-ed.com/abc/abc_spec...dfs/ny_law.pdf

https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/boat...atersGuide.pdf

Last edited by DSettahr; 09-11-2019 at 10:52 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:29 PM   #25
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
It has to be Coast Guard approved type I, II, III, or V life jacket.

For backcountry use, some paddlers will carry inflatable Type V life jackets- these are small vests with a CO2 cartridge that are designed to inflate upon pulling a ripcord. These are often seen as preferable to Type I/II/III life jackets as they tend to be less bulkier (and lighter). However, it's worth pointing out that unlike Type I/II/III life jackets, which need not be worn during warmer weather to be legal, Type V life jackets are only legal when worn, in any conditions.

There's more info in the following links:

https://www.boat-ed.com/abc/abc_spec...dfs/ny_law.pdf

https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/boat...atersGuide.pdf
Makes sense. I have a rip cord inflatable I wear while canoeing. They make ones that auto deploy when they get wet too, but I calculated the odds of me getting knocked out and needing that feature against how often I'd deploy it by mistake and opted for the manual one.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote