Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

Question Cooking Pot Suggestion

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade the cooking pot for my backpacking stove but am kind of picky for what I'm looking for. I have a few main requirements:

1.)A medium sized 8.11oz/230g JetBoil canister nests nicely inside. Doesn't matter if the canister is taller than the pot, just as long as it fits in there to save space. Bonus if the pots lid still fits on the pot while the canister is in the pot. Canister (or comparable MSR or similar):

(Note JetBoil makes a smaller one which is smaller in all dimentions and a larger one which is just taller (I think, never used it).)

2.)I don't burn my hand on the handle after heating.

3.)Is stable and I'm not going to spill it due to a flimsy handle.

4.)I'm quite okay with all-metal. I'm actually trying to avoid the plastic, crazy colorful, foam insulated jet boil styled pots.

I was able to find one similar to what I wanted, but the store was using it as a demo item and didn't really want to sell it, and I really didn't want to buy it, it was all scratched up. It was a MSR pot. Titanium I think, but I couldn't find a model name or number on it.

I'm hesitant to just try and guess buying one online as I really don't know the sizes too well and it's tough to know if the canister will fit from the pics online. Hopefully you guys can recommend a certain model or manufacturer.

Thanks!
trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
teclo

There's a lot that are pretty good. What stove are you using though? How come you're trying to avoid jetboil pots?

The MSR one you want is probably called Alpine. It's a nice plain set.

1. I adore GSI for the added functionality that they work into everything. They make a set called dualist (and there's a new one called micro dualist) for 2 people and soloist for one It may cost you more because it's a whole set but: The Lid is also a strainer, the stuff sack is also designed to hold water and act as a sink, they include an insulating sleeve for the cup, and the handle isn't designed to fold DOWN.. like most are. (If I put a ton of weight on a fold down handled pot, I'm always afraid of it folding). There's about four different versions of the set. Here's one:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/campi...-one-size.html

2. If you want something really plain and inexpensive, check walmart. There's a whole line of coleman pots with the fold around handles cheaper than anything else I've seen.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
teclo

Oh, and these fit the smaller jetboil fuels. The larger fuel is both taller and wider and it doesn't even fit in a jetboil pot.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

Thanks for the info telco. I'll have to take a closer look at the GSI stuff--I've seen it around. After more looking I think it's the MSR Titan Titanium that I was interested in when I saw one in person.

I'm going for something that is pretty rugged, easy to clean, and can take a lot of scrubbing. Any idea on how the GSI stuff holds up over time?

Most of the jetboils turn me off because a lot of them seem to be pretty tall and I don't want to deal with the foam on the outsides which can suck up spills/water/etc. I am going for as compact as possible so something that is the size of the canister I usually use is great. My stove is pretty basic. Just a screw on burner by Primus.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I've been using a gsi dualist for a couple of years. It's worked and held up fine.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I have the MSR Titan Titanium , actually holds the large 8 oz. canister from Jetboil or MSR inside with the lid on plus room for a few tea/coffie bags. Holds about 16 OZ and is super light and very tough. I use it with a pocket rocket and my home made alcohol stoves. Very tough and light , but being Titanium quite expensive. That being said , if you have it 10+ years it isn't expensive at all.

I remember reading a piece written in the 1880's about a guy having the very latest new aluminum pot that he was excedingly proud of. Super light for the time but cost a weeks wages, and he wasn't a common laborer. The GSI's are very nice too, but I have the MSR and have no need for anything else.

John M. A Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Seeker

this has become my favorite pot.

http://fourdog.com/1-8-qt-mors-camp-pot/
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

Whoa, surprised that this thread is still kicking around. I ended up going with a GSI soloist set. I was only really looking for the pot, but bowl it came with was useful for my peak trip last weekend. Thanks for all the input all.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I also use the Titan Titanium. I've been very satisfied with it- it's been my pot of choice for the past 4 years.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
redfox1939

You can check from this site http://www.backcountrygear.com/campi.../cookware.html for some interested cooking pan.All were lightweight and ideal for hiking.

Sedona Guided Tours
redfox1939 is offline   Reply With Quote