Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2005, 09:39 AM   #21
chrix
ICE SEASON IS NEAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin

BTW, I'm not into ice climbing, rock climbing, sky diving, or any other extreme sports - so the adrenalin rush from imminent danger isn't why I hike. Consequently I have no friends that partake in any of the forementioned sports either. At the same time I think I understand and respect those who do engage these activities. To each there own, respectfully.
Very well put, very well put.
chrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #22
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
At some point you have to ask yourself the question,"Why am I doing this?" which puts things into their proper perspective.
That's a good example of what I meant. You could have continued and the 'peak-bagger' inside of you probably wanted you to, but an accurate and objective assessment of the situation saved you from the high potential for injury or even death. Thank god for our higher reasoning. If I were to purely act on impulse... well, it would be an ugly state of affairs.

Having a slight element of danger is fun and unavoidable. There's been many times that I've felt uneasy climbing in the high peaks, but knew I just needed to focus and that it was a matter of overcoming the fear. Experience and wisdom are knowing when that fear is warranted and should be listened to.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:02 AM   #23
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerPerak
This hike took place when it was ok to walk the roads along the East River Rod and Gun Club's lease.
Was that route a different distance compared to the current route?
Old 07-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #24
AntlerPerak

Neil pretty much the same in distance. Instead of hiking to the area of the old Twin Brook lean-to and going cross country along the present herd path the traditional route crossed the stream much further down and utilized the roads on the east side. I just dug out my old notes, July of 1977 Now that is old. It was nine miles one way hike to Allen. You crossed the Opalescent at 3.66 miles in on the Sanford Lake trail. It was where the trail met a wide bend in the river one and a half miles before the Twin Brook Lean-to and trail junction to Hanging Spear Falls. At the crossing there were a few camps and an old house trailer among them. Further along the hiking trail from the old crossing, I don't recall exactly where it was perhaps mid way between the old crossing and the lean-to, there was an old trail that led to a bridged crossing of Twin brook avoiding some of the camps. The roads on the East side of the river were drivable all the way in there. In fact a 46R was a member of the East River club and drove us to the lean-to on another trip to do some rehab work. Well actually to the Twin Brook trail a quarter mile north of the lean-to.

Neil I know this is a long answer but it seems at some point this old route was actually measured to Allen Brook due to the precise indicators. I still have the detailed description of that route which appears to be measured either by L Morgan Porter or Jim Goodwin. They were quite specific on the description of the old roads for instance " At a road junction .72 miles from the Opalescent crossing take the left fork." Another example is "Beyond a clearing the gravel road gives way to a dirt road passing a beaver dam at 2.73 miles" and "Skylight brook is reached at 2.91 miles. The road then becomes grassy and less descernable reaching Allen Brook at 4.10 miles and runs out. Climb the mt about 1.25 miles via Allen Brook." It seems to me someone at one time measured this to Allen Brook because when estimating you don't write @2.73 etc. So adding all of that together 3.66 + 4.10 + 1.25 it looks like 9.01 to Allen one way assuming you make the correct turns at the multiple road intersections.

The present description of the herd path is not specific in regard to the distance to Allen Brook it reads like it is 2.5 miles from where the path departs the official trail and with the 5.1 miles of trail walking you have 7.6 which is very similar to the traditional route which was 7.76. I helped flag the route before the path was actually cut to skylight brook and it seemed to me the distance was pretty much the same. The present description bears out what I thought at the time. The route was rougher than the roads and the crossing of Skylight brook could be more difficult in high water than the old Opalescent ford would have been making the new route appear more difficult. In the end it resolved the conflicts, added more trail walking but I doubt it altered the distance by much either way. I climbed Allen four times but all by the old route. I hope all of this helps.
AntlerPerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:26 PM   #25
Neil
Kayak-46

Fascinating.
Either way, 6 hours for 18 miles is only 3 mph average speed. Easy, on paper.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #26
AntlerPerak

Havn't you noticed the last two miles of a twenty mile hike are twice the distance of the first two miles?
AntlerPerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #27
Neil
Kayak-46

On our first failed attempt of Allen this winter we were on our way out and when we got to the gate alongside the Opalescent we rejoiced thinking we were almost back to the TH. Groan. At least we had a full moon rising over Popple Hill and awesome views of the slides on Santanoni to cheer us up.

Maybe there's a formula that could be devised...