Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

ADK Mountain Club

I just joined the ADK and was wondering if other people here are also members and what you know or think about the organization and what they do.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
adkdremn
Dreamin I'm there....the ADKS!

I'm not a member, but have been wanting to do it for quite some time now. My main reason for joining would be the discount. I camp there with my family so I would use it then, plus you get discounts on maps, gear, etc. Although the price on their gear (clothing) is a little steep, I guess you're paying for their logo. Neil, with all the time you spend in the ADKS if you park at their lot 5 or so times during the year the membership would more or less pay for itself with discounted price. I think it's like $9 for non-members and $3 or $4 for members. They do some good work with conservation and that kind of stuff too, so it's always good to know your money is going towards that.
Hopefully I'll kick myself in the butt one of these days to join.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Hakuna Matada

I'm a member of the Black River Chapter of ADK. We were introduced to the club quite a while ago and they are the ones that taught us to love the outdoors so much. I think the first outing we did was a beach clean-up. We joined because they would tell us places to go and and were fun, like-minded people. Since then we have made many friends and discovered many new places. We are now very involved in our local chapter. We owe our love of hiking, kayaking, X-C skiing and mountain climbing to the ADK Club.
Welcome to the club.
Hakuna Matada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
Rick
Bad Seed

Neal - Been a member since '92, though I have been thinking about letting my membership lapse this year, simply because I don't get up there as much as I used to and am now a member of the AMC.
There was a period of time in the mid to late 90's where I held a variety of chapter positions from trip leader to Trails Committee to Education Chair and then finally on the Board of Governors for 3 years. I really enjoyed being active in a chapter - Much different from the AMC as the chapters are spread out in small cities, rather than across largeer geographic areas, making it easy to attend meetings and meet others.

I think the ADK is great if you don't know many other outdoor folks, are looking to learn about backcountry skill and etiquette and have an general interst in the Adirondacks.
Cheers
Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
MattC

I knew about the ADK as a kid, almost as long as I knew about the mountains themselves. I remember my dad telling me about the club (and also the 46ers) when I was about 9 or 10, my first time up in the High Peaks. I finally got around to joining last September. I second everything ADKdremn said about the discounts and the work ADK does. My chapter (Mid-Hudson) had Pete Fish down to Poughkeepsie for a talk in October right after I joined.

I wouldn't necessarily look to ADK for lots of potential hiking partners though. Some folks in the Club don't even hike that much. This takes nothing away from them, they're nice folks that love the mountains as much as any peakbagger. Just wanted to point it out, because I thought maybe when I joined that I'd meet a lot of hiking partners-nope. I've actually met many more through VFTT, and perhaps will through this site as well. I'm still glad to be an ADK member though.

Matt
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I was a member. Had to let it lapse because I just have to pick my expenditures carefully. Mine was more to help towards the treils with my dues because there are no local chapters and I don't park at the Loj that open, so it was really a donation.

it's a good organization.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
John K

Discounts make it worthwhile. The window sticker makes you official too.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K
Discounts make it worthwhile. The window sticker makes you official too.
The window sticker keep peeling off my backpack!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 04-06-2005, 11:26 PM   #9
Neil
Kayak-46

What prompted me to join was learning that the director, Neil somebody, was instrumental in putting together the latest deal where the state acquired a chunk of private land. I don't care about the discounts, but will certainly take advantage of them and I meet all my hiking partners right here. It's supporting the political action that preserves the and protects the park that interests me.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:05 AM   #10
Kevin
**BANNED**

On my second year as a member (Albany Chapter). I've enjoyed all my chapter sponsored hikes - great people! Figures like-minded folks are likely the only ones interested in spending a weekend day in the woods.

I wish I could be more involved, but my private life keeps me generally busy (volunteer type work). I may sponsor a hike sometime, but probably not until next year. I seriously want to take first aid and water rescue before I am expected to "lead" any large group into the woods. Call me silly.

What the organization does is alone worthy of my dollars. I take full advantage of discounts too, but usually just the parking. The idea of paying for time at the loj or john's brook seems silly to me - I have a tent and know how to use it. I have most of the trail guides purchased on discount.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
Dick
somewhere out there...

We've been a member of the Schenectady chapter for about 20 years (I forget the exact date we joined). We joined that chapter only because the only hiking people we knew at the time were members (the Salingers, if anyone remembers back that far, who long since left the area). We've been on a few hikes, taken advantage of the discounts (parking, courses), but in recent years we've mostly just sent in our dues, for the same reason Neil is contemplating joining. We've never been involved in the organization, and I know many of the people there by name and reputation only.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:11 AM   #12
percious
Transplanted

Neil-
I joined bot the AMC and the ADK this year. I felt it was time to give back to the woods and the hiking community, and uncle sam was generous with his tax return. I honestly do not expect to make back my ADK money in parking, but it is nice having a discount at heart lake. I just hope in some small way that my contribution will be used for the greater good.

-percious
Old 04-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
Mavs00
I am the sith

We've had a "family" membership since the late 90's. Our home chapter is LOJ/Heart Lake, but we also have affiliate membership with out local Genesee Valley chapter (a few bucks more).

Never really taken advantage of most of the services, but I have used the discounts for Parking and 10% at EMS (and other outdoor stores). I've also rented (and used) a few of the JLB lean-tos near Camp Peggy.

All and all, a worthy investment for us.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 AM   #14
jellen

I've been a member of the Long Island ADK for about 25 years. There were some years I was very active with the group and some where I barely got out and hiked but overall this has been a great organization to be a part of here on Long Island. There is always a pretty nice hike schedule with all levels of difficulty. I also learned most of what I know about backpacking and hiking from experienced ADK members. I will continue to support the ADK and it's programs for all of the above plus the efforts they make in conservation of wilderness.

JE
jellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #15
mike1889
wish I was in the Adks

Joined ADK in 1983 and chose Schenectady Chapter, mostly because Schenectady was closest to where I was living at the time. Yes I remember the Salingers, Gerhard I believe. I went to school with one of their sons. I led trips for Schenectady for a few years and discovered the Albany Chapter had a much more extensive schedule and newsletter. I switched to Albany about 1990 and have led 50 or so hikes and met lots of cool hikers. I edited the Albany newsletter for 4 years and have been doing the Albany web page since 1997. It's a good organization.
mike1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #16
johnstp

Great investment. I have to say, I only use the discount at the parking lot and High Peaks Info Ctr. Store, but the organization is worthy of support.
johnstp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #17
hikerdad

Mavs: does the ADK discount at EMS work at all EMS stores or just your local store? I had never heard of the discount...

I joined the ADK last year to support the cause (and the magazine and various discounts help....I've got to stay at the Loj or JBL someday...that looks like a lot of fun.)
hikerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #18
Rick
Bad Seed

Mavs will prolly be along to chime in soon, but before EMS changed hands last year, most stores would give 10% off to members of outdoors clubs upon request. Where I worked at the Marketplace store, the manager had a habit of giving up to 20% off if you asked. It was her way of committing to customer satisfaction.

I beleive EMS later tightened down on managers giving away the larger discounts, sticking to the 10% off if an outdoor club member.

While shopping at my local EMS here in Marlborough last fall, I asked for my 10% ADK/AMC member discount and was told that the new owner was moving away from it. I then asked if I could get a discount as a former "brother of the apron", (which they no longer wear) and got 10% off.
'course, I am not shy about asking for discounts.

On a later date near Christmas, I was talking to the new store manager while picking up some children's snowshoes and again asked about the 10% discount - he said the new owners had not yet made a decision about club discounts, and that he couldn;t offer them for now, but that they had some new radical marketing approaches they were getting ready to roll out .
Hope this helps
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1889
Joined ADK in 1983 and chose Schenectady Chapter, mostly because Schenectady was closest to where I was living at the time. Yes I remember the Salingers, Gerhard I believe. I went to school with one of their sons. I led trips for Schenectady for a few years and discovered the Albany Chapter had a much more extensive schedule and newsletter. I switched to Albany about 1990 and have led 50 or so hikes and met lots of cool hikers. I edited the Albany newsletter for 4 years and have been doing the Albany web page since 1997. It's a good organization.
Off and on, we've considered changing chapters for the same reason. I think we'll look into that possibility this summer. Yes, Gerhard and Evelyn, who I will always remember was on my younger son's first hike (Rondaxe). Nice folks.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:02 AM   #20
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick

While shopping at my local EMS here in Marlborough last fall, I asked for my 10% ADK/AMC member discount and was told that the new owner was moving away from it. .

On a later date near Christmas, I was talking to the new store manager while picking up some children's snowshoes and again asked about the 10% discount - he said the new owners had not yet made a decision about club discounts, and that he couldn;t offer them for now, but that they had some new radical marketing approaches they were getting ready to roll out .
Hope this helps

Perhaps everyone here shold email EMS and tell them that we have not yet made a decision to continue shopping at EMS if they discontinue the discounts or to steer our business towards REI and Campmor which are less expensive then EMS.