Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #21
Boreal Chickadee

I've only been able to get the 20% discount at Carousel on "club days" once each fall and spring. Hawk just might have an idea there.

I've belonged to ADK oh for about 10 years. It's a good organization that does its best to protect the mountains. Right now it's in financial straits and trying to recover from several lean years. I don't do much with group hikes, very few, but I support their goals.
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:55 AM   #22
Rick
Bad Seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Butter
Right now it's in financial straits and trying to recover from several lean years. I don't do much with group hikes, very few, but I support their goals.
IMMHO, I wouldn't characterize the financial straits so much as due to lean years as much as overly optimistic spending - perhaps with visions of becoming a much larger club, (like the AMC) by the Executive Committee that was in place in the late 90's.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #23
Boreal Chickadee

Thanks Rick for giving a much more specific answer ,I didn't want to get into the reasons for the leanness.
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #24
Tom McG

I’ve been a member since 1990; I joined as a result of a trip I took to the West Coast in 1989. I was visiting an old girl friend in San Francisco (coldest dam summer I ever experienced). At the end of the trip I took a flight to Portland (to visit her ex-husband) on one of those small puddle jumper planes. While flying over the mountain I noticed that many of them had, what looked like a spider web system of roads on them. I later found out that they were known as “multiple use area”. Later we took a ride up to Mt. Hood and drove past mountain after mountain of clear-cut. My friend couldn’t understand my concern over the obvious erosion of the mountain slope. He thought it was all pretty natural. At that moment I realized what a treasure we had here in the Adirondack and Catskill Forest Preserve. When I returned I started to look for an organization that I could join to help preserve our treasure. I settled on the ADK, because it not only fought for the Forest Preserves and other open areas in the State but it also was an origination that sponsored outdoor recreation.
Since then I have served in a number of positions in both the Albany Chapter and Main Club level, I’ve have also been leading hikes for the Chapter for about 8-years. I’m presently on the Club’s Board of Directors and was recently appointed Chair of the Conservation Committee. I couldn’t be prouder of the work the ADK has done for the Forest Preserve. The discounts are also a plus.
Tom McG