Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
shoty2982
leatherfoot

a lil help on a trip

just need a lil info regarding some trails so i can plan an upcoming trip...i am taking a group of 4 to the adks and although this is my 5th trip of the year, for the other 3 guys it will be there first of the year and first ever to the adks. anyway i am in pretty good shape but i cant say that for the other guys. i want them to have fun and i want to show them what the adks are all aboutsomething fairly mellow but still rewarding. a nice peak or 2 with a nice view and minimal effort would be awesome. doesnt have to be in the high peak region although i am an aspiring 46er so that would be a big plus, doesnt really matter if the area is high traffic or not and lean-tos although preferred are not a must. thanks for all the help guys

p@uL
shoty2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
JClimbs
Callousedhand

Hadley Mtn. is a good start; it is about 5 miles all told, moderate climb. Views are nice if it is clear, and there's a firetower you can at least climb part way up. Sometimes there's an interpreter in the tower, I'm told; though I've never been there when there was one.
Buck Mtn (on the E shore of Lake George) is fantastic for views of the lake; a bit longer hiking but good trail.
Crane Mtn: trail is lousy in parts but the summit scenery is rugged, the pond is a great swim, and the easy bushwhack up Bates Ridge provides a good view north to the High Peaks. 4 1/2 mile loop trail.
Pharaoh Mtn. has a good trail from the north and fabulous views.

It is pretty buggy right now with the wet weather we've had; you might want to grab some boats and head out on water with your group to avoid the bugs. Go to Garnet Lake, paddle around the lake in canoes or kayaks, maybe take the quick hike to Lixard Pond if you feel like it; maybe even bushwhack up Mt.Blue if you're all feeling sporty; then head back. The blueberries are starting to come on, so you might even find some snacking along the way.
With a carrier, you could roll a canoe or kayak up to Henderson Lake and get a glimpse up the valley to Wallface.

Whatever you do, bring some bug dope and try to pick a breezy place!
JClimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

There's some useful stuff in this thread:

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=2180

Buck Mt, already mentioned, and Blue Mountain are good hikes for inexperienced climbers. Blue Mt also has the adirondack museum and Blue Mt Lake nearby.

The benefit of Buck is the ability to stay/camp on the eastern shore of Lake George, a beautiful area in general. Views from atop Buck are also great :

http://www.the-boogiemen.com/hiking/2005.htm#SlvBuck

Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
fvrwld

Are you looking for an overnight?(you mentioned lean-to's)

If so I would suggest Treadway with an overnight at ClearPond or Grizzle Ocean. Or Pharaoh Mountain with an overnight at Pharaoh Lake, Oxshoe Pond or Crab Pond.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
shoty2982
leatherfoot

thanks everyone for the help so far.. yeah we are looking at 2 nights either tents or lean tos. the guys im going with arent in horrible shape, i mean they just came back from a recreational vacation out west and they did a bit of hiking at capital reef, yellowstone, great basin, yosemite and a couple of other parks. i just dont want to take them somewhere that is super grueling, it can be challenging ... just not grueling. thanks again guys.

p@uL
shoty2982 is offline   Reply With Quote