Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Lixard the Lizard

Here's a video of a recent winter camping trip to Lizard Pond (A.K.A. Lixard Pond) in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest, followed by some sad thoughts about my old man... I know that a few adkforum members have been wondering about him, thanks again for the concern. - Justin

Lixard the Lizard
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
bioguide

Another well done video Justin and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and emotions you have for your father. Keep on doing what you are doing.

Last edited by bioguide; 02-15-2017 at 06:26 PM..
bioguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
RealLyte

Great video, keep up the good work.
RealLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Tick Magnet

Yup

Aren't dogs the best? She knows.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
Yup

Aren't dogs the best? She knows.
Good eyes bro!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

Hey - maybe this is a bit personal, but you put it out there, so I will too...

I've had the same issues with my father for years. He is bipolar and has struggled with alcoholism and drug addition over the years. It's a very, very hard thing to deal with. I feel where you are. I've been in and out with him for years. At some points, I had to break contact for many years because it was too much to handle. Sometimes it's for the best.

I've never really been able to reconnect fully after that. I've tried, but it's always the same and I refuse to make the same mistakes. My recent strategy has been to keep in contact, but not really get too close. Sounds a bit harsh, but sometimes that's the way you have to deal with it. He probably won't be alive much longer and I didn't want to deal with the guilt of having a grudge when he does pass. But like I say, I can't have a real relationship.

I hope you figure out a balance that works for you and remember he won't always be around to reconcile with if you ever want to.

If you need someone to talk to about it, feel free to contact me. I know exactly what you are going through and how you feel, and it sucks. It's hard to explain to people who haven't dealt with these type of things because you just don't know until you've been there, and when you have, you see it and sympathize right away.

Good luck and I hope you guys find a way to make one last trip together before its too late. I did with my dad but he is in such poor health it wasn't much.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
Trail Boss

Thanks for the video, Justin! I don't know what it is about campfires but whatever's cookin' on it always looks so much better!

Sorry about your family troubles. That kind of pain runs deep. I hope you find a way to heal. Good luck to you and your family.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
Pauly D.

Nice video as always Justin! Sorry to hear about your troubles. Being in the forest sure clears the mind though doesn't it? Take care and best of luck.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Thanks so much for the kind words, all!
- Justin
Old 02-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
bethfit

Great video as usual Justin.

Sorry to hear about your Dad's issues. We remember years back having many dialogues with him here on the forum. We remember him being very knowledgeable, many times very funny, and yes opinionated and at times abrasive & a malcontent...unfortunately we know how it ended up here on the forum. I think overall, we enjoyed him MUCH more than we believed he was a "problem". Ultimately though, there are just certain "rules" of how to civilly conduct oneself.
Many times it's hard to determine the reasons people are the way they are. Sometimes it's a feeling that life just hasn't been unfair or unjust, somehow you are a "victim" and have been screwed over in some respect leading to all kinds of anger. Sometimes it's even valid or true, many times however, after a closer look the people themselves realize that "they" are the issue.
Other times it is clinical mental illness and or chemical dependency that is the root of the problem. Many times it's both and hard to determine which came first.

It was brave of you to put it out there and I hope he sees the video and it provokes some positive thought on his part. Reconciliation is always wonderful, but at the same time you have to be careful not to get pulled into unhealthy situations and relationships that can end up effecting other people in your life. We truly wish you the best.

We don't "contribute" here on the forum as much as we once did, but still enjoy many of the topics. We always enjoy your videos and sometimes when we do not have the opportunity to get away ourselves...it's the next best thing to being there!
Keep the Faith
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #11
snapper
snapper

Justin - So sorry to hear of your family situation. My Mom doesn't suffer from the same things your Dad does but the relationship I have with her has been strained many times over the years as well. I lost my Dad, who I had a wonderful relationship with (still miss him every day) almost 35 years now. I quickly realized after his death that he was the buffer between my Mom and me. At this point I try to have a relationship with her because I know it's the right thing to do but we'll never be close. It's definitely sad but you can't always change another person; no matter how much you'd like to do so.

That being said, please know your videos and comments are greatly appreciated. As for myself, thanks for the suggestions you gave me in regard to working with my new pup; Juneau. She and I have been out a lot now and things are working well. A rabbit can still get her off track (hey, she's a dog!) but we're making headway and exploring new places together so thanks for the advice. Now, if I could only get her to stop barking at my xc ski tips when we go out skiing (LOL)!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Bethfit & Snapper!

There's a lot more that I wanted to say in the video, but being this was my first attempt at recording some thoughts, some of them unfortunately got left out. In any event, I have received a lot of positive feedback, which I wasn't looking for, but am extremely appreciative of. Thanks again!
- Justin
Old 02-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #13
Tick Magnet

On a more serious note, how is that rickety old picnic table still standing?!?

That thing was about ready to fall apart when we were last there over five years ago.

Also, pretty awesome moose rub up on Old Blue.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #14
Paradox6

Justin - Enjoyed video!!! Beautiful, tranquil, solitude. Had a lot of bipolar clients and a few bipolar colleagues who were brilliant guys, lot of fun and tremendously effective advocates. One of them explained bipolar to me..."Basically, we all have our highs and lows. The difference between you and me is that you can bring yourself back to center. When I'm high, I'm bulletproof, when I'm low, its a place you've never been. I can't bring myself back to center on my own and the meds make you feel like &%$#." Alcohol is an anaesthetic. I pm'd you on my story, I'd give anything for another day. Invite is good.

Mental illness is hard for a lot of people to accept. You can't see it. It's insidious, you don't always realize it when it happens. It can be very labile, flipping from one extreme to another.

The thing that helped me deal with folks with it was to ask if what was said or done was the "person" or the "illness" speaking and having to try to hold on to the person and to try to ignore things when the illness was acting out. Nothing easy about it.

Denis

Last edited by Paradox6; 02-16-2017 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Additional thought.
Paradox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Thank you Denis!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
On a more serious note, how is that rickety old picnic table still standing?!?

That thing was about ready to fall apart when we were last there over five years ago.

Also, pretty awesome moose rub up on Old Blue.
That table was in rough shape when I was there in '07 with my friend "Garavelli", and again in '12 with my now brother-in-law "O'Rourke", and eventhough Jenny was there both times also, this time I made it official by adding her name as well.

A moose, or a really big buck... a few of those rubs were approximately 7-8 feet high above the snow cover.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #17
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

well, another great video to a part of the ADK's i hardly ever get to, keep up the good work!
sorry to about the loss of relationship w/ your father, takes a lot of guts to put it out there, but it can be good therapy to share the load.
i was wondering what made those rub marks, was thinking that is a heck of a buck to be making rubs that high and intense, but a moose would make sense...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Thanks MoodyBlues!
As a matter of fact, my father named me after Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #19
Hear the Footsteps

Thanks Justin. I enjoy our videos. They are interesting and entertaining.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #20
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks MoodyBlues!
As a matter of fact, my father named me after Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues.
uuummm, well, i have a son named Justin for the same reason....
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote