Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
Seattletransplant

Question New to New York..where should I stay

Hi,

Recently moved from Seattle where I was a frequent tent camper and ready to explore all that New York camping has to offer. My first venture will be memorial day weekend and quite frankly I am overwhelmed by the options and available places to pitch a tent. So far I have narrowed down my focus to paradox lake or Hearthstone but am open to any campground that offers:

- a dog friendly atmosphere
-not commercial..I prefer a spot off the beaten patth with pit toliets and no showers but my wife..not so much so maybe a happy medium
- no late night party spots
- close ( 10 miles or so) to a place where i can pick up camping essentials

Would appreciate any help or advice on what places I should look into as it is a lot of work researching over 50 campgrounds.

Thanks,

David
Seattletransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Welcome to the forum, David.
I assume you are car camping, what sort of experience are you looking for? Nearby trails, paddling opportunities, historic sites?
Most of the DEC campgrounds are quiet and pleasant. I would not recommend Hearthstone.
The campgrounds that have fewer amenities will usually be quieter, Forked Lake, Browns Tract Pond, Putnam Pond, Buck Pond are examples.
Do you have a preferred area you want to visit? Do you want to stay in the western side, southern zone, central??

You may be pleasantly surprised at what the Adirondacks have to offer...
Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
peskypup

If Lake George is on your wish list (and IMO, it should be), I'd head north to Rogers Rock rather than Hearthstone. Spent two weeks in a tent there every summer growing up and return often. Quieter, more scenic, less in the middle of everything than Hearthstone. However, I would not recommend it on Memorial Day as it apparently has become enough of a party destination for that weekend that they have to put special policies in place to curb drinking and partying. Any other time of the year, and especially mid-week or in September, it's wonderful.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Paradox6

Welcome to the forum! I'm partial to Paradox Lake. I just expect Memorial Day weekend to be pretty busy everywhere and a lot of motorcycle traffic (no offense intended), seems to be the start of the touring season.
Paradox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Pikeman

Meacham lake campground is nice, its not too far from malone where you could get supplies if needed.
Pikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
ReneeRenata

Forked Lake

I'm also from the west coast. I've only been to the Adirondacks once but we went to Forked lake and I LOVED it...kind of like car camping meets back packing. Most of the site you have to CANOE to!! how cool! But you can grab a canoe from the camp registration and load up, so you have the amenities of car camping (can bring tons of stuff if you want) yet the feeling of backpackign in that your'e more remote and away from your neighbor (dependign on the spot you pick). There are motor boats tho. You can rent the canoe your whole trip and use it to go otu on the lack, lay out on hot rocks (we went in August). Nearby there are places to rent kayaks. A couple of the camping spots are on islands...tho i'd bet those are grabbed immediately as soon as registration opens up...particularly on Memorial day. Good luck
ReneeRenata is offline   Reply With Quote